TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i searched and couldn't find what i was looking for... sorry if i missed it...

i've had some pretty bad (getting worse) noise from my 2001 (standard cab) prerunner (4 cyl auto). i couldn't pinpoint it reliably, so i took it to a dealership today and they believe it's the frontmost u-joint (which in retrospect, makes sense). i breathed a sigh of relief, thinking about the couple of times i've replaced u-joints on a buddy's chevy truck. but wait...

the service manager is trying to convince me that you can't replace the u-joint without replacing the entire driveshaft assembly. i'm not going for it. this sounds like complete and total BS to me.. dropping $1,000 (his estimate) for a $10 part (ok, $30 if you get them from toyota)... the engineer in me says there's no way a $10 part, designed for replacement, is trapped inside the driveshaft... another dealership quoted me $250 parts and labor and autozone has the u-joints for $10 apiece. is this dealership trying to take me for a very uncomfortable ride, or is there some truth behind this ridiculous story? i'd rather spend $25 and do this in the driveway, if at all possible.

thanks.

edit: oh yeah, 62,500 miles, compeletely stock.

·
Registered
455 Posts
bailey454 said:
i searched and couldn't find what i was looking for... sorry if i missed it...

i've had some pretty bad (getting worse) noise from my 2001 (standard cab) prerunner (4 cyl auto). i couldn't pinpoint it reliably, so i took it to a dealership today and they believe it's the frontmost u-joint (which in retrospect, makes sense). i breathed a sigh of relief, thinking about the couple of times i've replaced u-joints on a buddy's chevy truck. but wait...

the service manager is trying to convince me that you can't replace the u-joint without replacing the entire driveshaft assembly. i'm not going for it. this sounds like complete and total BS to me.. dropping $1,000 (his estimate) for a $10 part (ok, $30 if you get them from toyota)... the engineer in me says there's no way a $10 part, designed for replacement, is trapped inside the driveshaft... another dealership quoted me $250 parts and labor and autozone has the u-joints for $10 apiece. is this dealership trying to take me for a very uncomfortable ride, or is there some truth behind this ridiculous story? i'd rather spend $25 and do this in the driveway, if at all possible.

thanks.

edit: oh yeah, 62,500 miles, compeletely stock.
If this Stealership is trying to get you to replace a drive line because the U-Joint is bad and also trying to charge you 1K for the job, then YES they are attempting to take your ass on a very uncomfortable ride to the cleaners. Their thinking bend over while we throw some sand on it!!!

Get some tools out and go to town. You can have that driveshaft dropped in a matter of 3-5 minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
99ARTaco said:
If this Stealership is trying to get you to replace a drive line because the U-Joint is bad and also trying to charge you 1K for the job, then YES they are attempting to take your ass on a very uncomfortable ride to the cleaners. Their thinking bend over while we throw some sand on it!!!

Get some tools out and go to town. You can have that driveshaft dropped in a matter of 3-5 minutes.

thanks so much! i KNEW it!!! bastards!!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
If your standard cab taco has a CV joint in place of the Ujoint, then maybe I can see some logic behind the stealerships explanation.

but last I checked the single shafted reg cabs used ujoints on both ends. Thus they are trying to bend you over!

Replace it yourself and be done with it! and for far less than $1k in repair fees. If you don't feel confident tackling the job yourself, call out for a Wrench-a-thon from your local chapter.

I think the first job I ever tackled by myself working on cars was replacing ujoints, and that was back when I was in highschool many, many moons ago. The job is not that difficult.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You say the U-joint is making noise so it probably is shot by now....

The 4x4's u-joints are greasable and I assume the prerunner is too. Have you greased it? it should be done at every oil change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i haven't. i've only had the truck about a year myself. i'll have to put that on the list.

the only thing that made me unsure about the dealership's lie is that i remember seeing a different u-joint arrangement than i was used to. during an oil change, i saw that there were two u-joints up front in some kind of carrier... not a boot or anything, but some kind of assembly. not a great description, but i'm going from memory... anyway, i thought maybe that whole unit might need replacing... but the whole friggin' drive shaft? makes no sense.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Be sure to look closely for all the zerks and rotate the drive shaft, they can be hard to see. especially the one closest to the tranny.

I can't believe they tried taking you for $1K :eek:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
you can call toyota headquarters and report poor dealership service
every dealership gets points each year
and if they get too many complaints they're in trouble
you can go after them if you have a 15mins to spare

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Customer Experience Center
If you would like to discuss your experience or share your comments, please call us. Toyota's Customer Experience Center representatives are happy to assist you.

Phone: 800-331-4331
Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PT
Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PT
Fax: 310-468-7814

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks! i will say this: it cost me nothing. they didn't charge me to take it apart and lube everything up, at the very least. now i can get it home, order a pizza, and call some people to help me with it, and i'm not out any cash.

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
This happened to me too. I found a CV shop and had them go ahead and replace all the U-joints in my drive line (including rebuliding the Double Cardon Joint) and they chanrged me like $150 bucks.

That was worth it to me since replacing all those U-joints myself would have been a bitch and a half, and taken me like 2 days!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do prerunners have a double cardon joint at the front of the driveshaft? a picture i found on a land rover forum looks pretty close to what i remember... what makes that so difficult to work on?

i've got a co-worker roommate with a truck, so i'm not afraid to drop this thing out, even if it means being truckless or having to take the driveshaft to a CV shop later. has anyone replaced the u-joints themself on a standard cab prerunner? is there in fact a double cardon joint?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I read in the Haynes manual double cardon joints are not repairable. They can only be replaced or the entire drive shaft need to be replaced. I hope I'm wrong cause I noticed some play with my rear shaft also.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
bailey454 said:
do prerunners have a double cardon joint at the front of the driveshaft? a picture i found on a land rover forum looks pretty close to what i remember... what makes that so difficult to work on?

i've got a co-worker roommate with a truck, so i'm not afraid to drop this thing out, even if it means being truckless or having to take the driveshaft to a CV shop later. has anyone replaced the u-joints themself on a standard cab prerunner? is there in fact a double cardon joint?
how bout you take a pic of the u0joint in question so we can see if it is the double cardan or not.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
AR10fan said:
I read in the Haynes manual double cardon joints are not repairable. They can only be replaced or the entire drive shaft need to be replaced. I hope I'm wrong cause I noticed some play with my rear shaft also.
Toyota does not have a repair part for the Double Cardon. I.e. you can't go to the parts counter and order a new Double Cardon. But if you take them to a drive line / CV shop they CAN be rebuilt. I did a lot of searching one time and found a write-up about how to DIY.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What noise is it that you're hearing from your driveshaft? Does it sound like a high pitched squeel whenever you let off the gas?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
does anyone have a picture or writeup of how to replace them? im feeling a little lazy and i figure its about time to replace the rear driveline joints....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
i crawled under the truck last night and there is, in fact, a double cardan joint there. <sigh>. i haven't had luck finding any CV/driveline shops in greenville, sc yet. still formulating a plan...

the noise sounded a lot like belt noise for a while and usually only happened (or was worst) under partial throttle. it sounded nothing like any bad u-joint i've ever heard, and was the same sound from about 30 mph up to freeway speeds, instead of vibrating at a certain RPM. it was sort of like a belt's squeal for a few weeks and was very quiet, but during a drive back from ohio it also had kind of a grinding or rubbing sound to it as well.

the noise, by the way, has completely disappeared after everything was lubricated, though i know i've got to replace it anyway. so i guess now i'm off to find either a new driveshaft at a junkyard, or a place that can rebuild the double cardan and put 2 new u-joints in, since i'm not sure which piece was complaining. if i had to guess though, i'd say the ball and/or socket inside the carrier were making noise. especially since the sound has gone away now.

·
Registered
533 Posts
bailey454 said:
i crawled under the truck last night and there is, in fact, a double cardan joint there. <sigh>. i haven't had luck finding any CV/driveline shops in greenville, sc yet. still formulating a plan...

the noise sounded a lot like belt noise for a while and usually only happened (or was worst) under partial throttle. it sounded nothing like any bad u-joint i've ever heard, and was the same sound from about 30 mph up to freeway speeds, instead of vibrating at a certain RPM. it was sort of like a belt's squeal for a few weeks and was very quiet, but during a drive back from ohio it also had kind of a grinding or rubbing sound to it as well.

the noise, by the way, has completely disappeared after everything was lubricated, though i know i've got to replace it anyway. so i guess now i'm off to find either a new driveshaft at a junkyard, or a place that can rebuild the double cardan and put 2 new u-joints in, since i'm not sure which piece was complaining. if i had to guess though, i'd say the ball and/or socket inside the carrier were making noise. especially since the sound has gone away now.
If it doesn't vibrate you should just leave it be untill it does. Who knows, you might get 50,000 miles out of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same Problem

Hey guys, I am new to this list...and ironically I had this same problem happen to me today.
I was driving my Pre-Runner and began to hear a belt noise only to realize it was actually drive train noise. I lubricated all body mounts and various hanger & pivot points with a quality lubricant and went for a drive. The noise was still present and getting louder! Next I hit all the Grease Zirk fittings with one shot of grease...again went for a drive and at first the noise was gone, but after a mile or so it returned. So....two more shots of grease in all the drive shaft fittings and about 20 miles later no more noises?
What do I do now? Should I replace the joints? I do have to say that there are two areas of concern that I did not mention. First, I degreased the bottom of the truck this past weekend completely cleaning the chasis and driveline....don't ask why... Second, about 6 months after I purchased the truck (new in late 2003) a piece of debris fell off of a rig infront of me and
left a battle scar on my front skid plate. Well today, while under the truck,
I noticed there was another battle scar. The drive shaft has a long dent in it.
Keep in mind I have put about 70k miles on it since and have never really noticed a vibration at least no more than when I first purchased it. I wonder if the drive shaft is bent enough to cause a problem...I don't think this would be the case but any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Sorry about the long post, just looking for some advice!
Dan Adragna
2003 Tacoma Extended Cab Pre-Runner (My personal favorite car)
2005 Mercedes ML 350
1999 Lotus Esprit
1992 Lotus Elan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts