TTORA Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem

Sorry, forgot to mention the truck has about 90k miles on it, is an automatic, 2x4. I did see another post that referred to squeeking noise from under the cabin and the general cure appeared to be grease the fittings. I am just concerned about any damage that might have occured.

Thanks again,
Dan A
03 Toyo (1st Love!)
05 Mer
99 Lot
92 Lot

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but i have a truck in my shop and have run into this exact problem.

2002 regular cab 2wd prerunner, automatic, 2.7l 4cyl. one piece drive shaft with three u-joints, cardan joint at transmission.

The front u-joint went bad, and with it destroyed the socket in the cardan joint.

To my suprise, we've been able to find the cardan repair kit easily... however, we cannot locate the proper u-joints for this shaft, tried NAPA, Star, and two dealerships... no luck.

Sent the shaft to Inland Empire Driveline in hopes they would be able to come up with the right u-joints, no luck.

My question now, has anyone here found the correct replacement ujoints for this drive shaft? If so, where? Do you have a part number?

Please help if possible, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I say you just throw some grease in those joints and save money for now unless they are really bad. My u joints make noise, but then i throw some all purpose grease on there and im good. Always apply more when going to the dezert because that seems to make mine squeak, especially going through whoops fast.... but idk...

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Man I hope I don;t end up having the same problem for my 93 runner. The Cardan jount failed after one of my lockers stuck and was driving around at 70 MPH in 3 WD for a few days. My fron U joint went first then the front of the double cardan. It does not seem abhorable but still....

It is only bad above 30MPH (IN 4wd of course) and who uses 4WD above 30MPH in a rock craweler??? LOL

I think I am gonna wheel a short trail tho wednesday anyway and then replace the joints next week. I hope I don't have the same problem finding parts like the newer tacos!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Update on the truck we had in the shop:

The u-joints for our specific shaft turned out to not be available, even OEM. Ended up having the cardan joint chopped off and replaced with a cardan from a GM vehicle with readily available joints.

The driveshaft modification was done by inland empire driveline for $500, much cheaper than a $1000 new OEM driveshaft but still a waste of money for what should have only taken $40 in ujoints plus a cardan bushing kit.

Lame, and i hope for others sake that run into this problem that this was only a specific period of tacoma shafts that were manufactured... if this is a common shaft from 95-04 that is just god damn retarded.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just pulled my rear driveshaft with cardan on my 99 tacoma with 3" lift. The rear ujoint moves well and it doesn't seem loose at all. The double cardan moves well too but a fair bit of dirt came out of it. The carrier bearing has little play and the rubber is all intact. I'm going to pull the forward shaft and check the front u-joint too. Other than greasing all the zerks I don't know whats causing the horrible grinding/scraping.

I don't know what to look for with ujoints. Are they supposed to be loose in yoke if they are bad?

I've had the rear u-joint replaced in the past because of this but I don't see this time if its worn. I did stack a bunch of washers last summer to lower the carrier bearing but this time I'm going with 2 degree shims for the pinion angle.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts