TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So searching didnt work.
My ujoints are shot, I found grease where they sprayed on the underside of my truck while putting on my train horn. I also found out my carrier bearing is shot.
I went ahead and ordered the carrier bearing, it will be in today, and I have my U joints in my truck.
Is this a do it yourself type of project with tools and a decent to ok vise? Or should I pay someone to do this?

Also, I found some write up online but I had no idea if it was a toyota or not.

Thanks
Benson

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
the ujoints can be done by your average shade tree mechanic. It is a lot easier if you have access to a hydrolic press, but it can be done with a hammer and a few sockets.

I typically get frustrated and end up taking a sawzall to the old ujoints to get them out, but they can be pressed out by putting a socket underneath the joint and pressing the joint out with a hammer. Install the new joints in the similar fashion

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Blitanicle99 said:
So searching didnt work.
My ujoints are shot, I found grease where they sprayed on the underside of my truck while putting on my train horn. I also found out my carrier bearing is shot.
I went ahead and ordered the carrier bearing, it will be in today, and I have my U joints in my truck.
Is this a do it yourself type of project with tools and a decent to ok vise? Or should I pay someone to do this?

Thanks
Benson
U-joints are pretty easy. Get yourself one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=4065

I've used mine for u-joints, ball joints, etc.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Blitanicle99 said:
So searching didnt work.

Thanks
Benson

let me know if you need a hand, i may be able to come over if i dont have anything else going on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts