TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys had this up in the early taco section to start and the replies just didn 't read the post or question, so I am moving it to here.

Ive been searching for someone that has built their own upper control arms.

or Has anyone taken the LT camburg bushing style upper control arms and cut the bushings off followed by welding in bungs and adding heims? It does not look to hard to do, after putting a new frame under the truck 2001 taco lt 4x4 the left side aligned nicely with only minor adjustment while the right side is cammed all the way over and want to get some of my adjustment out of the upper. Thoughts would be nice, as new UCA's are not in the picture whatsoever. But fabbed ones I can do.....

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,404 Posts
Probably because it is a really stupid idea. Why do you need the heims? Removing the bushings and essentially doing a hard mount of suspension components isn't the best idea. You want shock absorption built-in somewhere.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably because it is a really stupid idea. .
Obviously not that dumb of an idea if TC offers them as an upgrade and Camburg runs them on their race LT kit....

If you read the post its for alignment adjustability camber caster.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,404 Posts
I know what it is for. I used to own a set of the original Icon UCAs that had the adjustable heims. It doesn't rule out the fact that you are eliminating a suspension connection that should ideally have shock absorption.

Also, if you modify a UCA that is designed with poly bushings, you'll need some sizable spacers to fill the gap between the heim and the frame bolt sleeve.

·
Registered
14 Posts
nobody has done what you are asking. it will add a lot of NVH into your truck. now maybe try doing a threaded bushing setup might be slick.

also if you are fabbing them from scratch what does it matter? juts build them how you want :D
building them is mostly easy. heres a set i built a wile ago for my taco.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A threaded bushing would be sick! Thank you for that idea, i built a custom 8'' for a ford a few years back riding on semi air bags (it was different but damn it rode smooth) and we used threaded bushing that I made up.

What kind of metal did you use for your arms? DOM or Chromoly?

Something like this?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Smart. Why doesn't anyone have those?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The big companies build them as a universal fit control arm. Each of our trucks is unique in it's own way. Especially if you have pushed your truck too far a time or two. With the coil buckets being the weak point! I know as once mine started to cave in they gradually continued to get worse even after a frame shop and not off-roading. Adding adjustability to the uppers gives everyone that little bit of final touch to our trucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Doing alignments will be time consuming the first time. However by having the adjustments at the top away from the tie rod end you won't have to adjust toe drastically every time you adjust for camber/caster. In addition to can push the caster way forward on the factory adjustments moving the wheel away from the body mount allowing a 37 to travel 13" maintaining full steering at full compression, with "minor" trimming lol, well a good bit. But it's possible. Word of warning be aware of the width of the bushings with the washers in relation to the length of the UCA bolt. Save you some headache later. Just built the other arm last night. If anyone wants more info let me know soon once there on there not coming off again for awhile.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
ToyBoi I'd like to see what your building. Maybe that is for another thread unless casaus19 wants it here?

·
Registered
9 Posts
ive been fabricating frame and cage stuff for my truck for a while now, but building my own suspension or steering components is something ive yet to attempt. just be aware of all the aspects of your control arms that need to be EXACT, not just pretty close. not only does the length of the arm for camber and angle for caster need to be exact, but both driver and passenger side arms must provide exactly the same dinamics. if you do end up doing this, be sure to post pics along the way i would love to see how it works out:welder:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For sure. I will prolly set up a jig similar to the one in the photo using the camburg arm i already have then work off of that jig.

·
Registered
726 Posts
ToyBoi I'd like to see what your building. Maybe that is for another thread unless casaus19 wants it here?
He's building a 2003 extra cab that is geared to his all around wheeling style, he is easy on the throttle :rolleyes: I am very impressed his truck holds up to his driving style, I'll let him chime in more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will do my best to take a lot of pictures. However I'm not a big forum poster. Ill probably have dirtygerman handle that end lol. I built the jig based off all-pros uca I had previously on my truck. And simply mounted the bearing cup to the jig and though bolted the bushings. Ill have one corner installed tonight. At mid travel the spherical bearing sits level and centered. So that's a good start lol. Ill find out if this all works hopefully by the end of the month. Hate to post everything up just to have it fail lol.
I've been a tech for 8 years now so I'm very far from ignorant when it comes to working on cars and trucks. But I'm no expert on custom suspensions. By making everything adjustableI to be able to correct any design flaws.
And the only reason this thing has held together despite my best efforts is largely in thanks to DirtyGerman.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts