TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a concern over the "long term durability" or urathan bushings in the a UCA/LCA pivot point.

The OEM vulcanized rubber lasted a long time becuase when the suspension cycled - the rubber "twised" - there was no "sliding movement" in the bushing.

With urathane - there is slidign motion between the sleeve and the urathane - hence the squeeking.

Also there is contention that urathane "cold flows" over time and thus the hole "eggs out" over time leading to... wandering piviot points - as badd as worn torn up rubber bushings.

Some "race car construction" books suggest Nylon/Derlin industrial bushings and therefore custome machined sleeves to work with them. Also the derlin can tolereate grease so that a zerk fitting can be made into the arm pivot and thus the bushing cna be lubed as a maintence item.

Those who have run the urathan bushed UCA/LCA for oh 2+ years and say 40K miles or more... how are they?

Is the derlin idea way overkill?

How about those using the LT kits for DD and "pre-running" use?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
There seems to be a concern over the "long term durability" or urathan bushings in the a UCA/LCA pivot point.

The OEM vulcanized rubber lasted a long time becuase when the suspension cycled - the rubber "twised" - there was no "sliding movement" in the bushing.

With urathane - there is slidign motion between the sleeve and the urathane - hence the squeeking.

Also there is contention that urathane "cold flows" over time and thus the hole "eggs out" over time leading to... wandering piviot points - as badd as worn torn up rubber bushings.

Some "race car construction" books suggest Nylon/Derlin industrial bushings and therefore custome machined sleeves to work with them. Also the derlin can tolereate grease so that a zerk fitting can be made into the arm pivot and thus the bushing cna be lubed as a maintence item.

Those who have run the urathan bushed UCA/LCA for oh 2+ years and say 40K miles or more... how are they?

OE bushings last a whole lot longer than the ES bushings, period. Expect to have to replace them every two yrs or so, depending on how crazy you drive ;) Don't even think of using them as replacements for the LCAs!! ask Showstop.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

I ran Urathane bushings on the upper and lower control arms of my LT kit for 4 years without any issues at all... when i took them out they almost looked new still.. and thats without lubing them at all....

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
I ran Urathane bushings on the upper and lower control arms of my LT kit for 4 years without any issues at all... when i took them out they almost looked new still.. and thats without lubing them at all....
dayam...are the TC bushings that much better than Camburgs?
I got about a year out of the first set w/o zerks and about 2yrs out of the
2nd set after installing the zerks.

of course you drove your truck like an old lady :p

Hmmm, wait a minute....it was you who sold them to me in the first place....that must have been the problem....hmmm. :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone make derlin bushings?

I dont mean manufacture for selling - I mean make them for their use?

My GUESS is that I should be able to find some bushings in the McMaster catalong and then get a machine shop to turn some stainless steel on a lathe.... press fit em into the arms and I should be good to go?
Tap zerks into the arms etc etc...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts