TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So I have a laptop with Vista on it. I have downloaded Explorer 8.0. Lately it will not connect to a link within anything. For instance on the Moab Pic thread I cannot open the photobucket video links. It will open a new window but just sits there thinking. WTF is causing this? Any ideas? My first thought is to go back to Explorer 7.0. But if you have any ideas please let me know. I hope the new OS from Windows is better then this crap. :mad:

·
Registered
434 Posts
i'm a linux fan personnally - but that's another story.

have you tried firefox? it's 100x better and MUCH more secure. the upcoming release is definitely lean and mean. as far as IE goes, i would recommend going into IE settings and there should be a "restore to defaults" button. tools, internet options, and if it's not on that general tab it'll probably be in the last, "advanced" tab.

fyi - windows 7 will NOT solve all of vista's problems. and it certainly won't solve IE's problems. however, it is looking promising. much better memory management, cleaner ui, and bootup/shutdown times aren't so atrocious. i'm still not gonna pay for it, but the RC is free for now and will work until june '10 i think. nice look into what's in store.

shameless plug: if anyone needs computer work done, i'm happy to help. i've been building systems for 10 years and lets just say i've fixed a ton of windows issues. i try to avoid the OS like the plague, but hey i wouldn't have a job if it worked well haha!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I did hit restore with no luck. I downloaded Firefox 3.0.1 or something like that. So far so good. We see what it can do.

I didn't do the Beta 3.4 just because I am a gooey user and if it f'ed up my box I would be screwed. Not to mention my wife uses this one more. I might try it on our desktop box with XP on it.

Thanks for the Info!

·
Registered
434 Posts
yea go with the stable version. s/b 3.0.10 currently. 3.5's comin soon (hopefully) but either way you'll be much better off than with IE. there's a few sites that use activeX (namely the windows update site) that literally REQUIRE IE, but there's an addon in FF called IETab that'll fix that... at any rate i'm rambling. you're better off with this browser, let's just leave it at that.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Windows 7 is mostly based off of vista so don't hold your breath til it comes out. Honestly it won't be that much "better" vista really doesn't have many problems most complants are cuz of compatability with other software/hardware. Just my exerience workin as a comp tech.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I am hearing from our IT guys at work is that it will be gooey like Vista but have a lot of the XP framing and background to stabilize it. No matter what I am liking the Firefox. Thanks again Arrrgh!

·
Registered
434 Posts
From what I am hearing from our IT guys at work is that it will be gooey like Vista but have a lot of the XP framing and background to stabilize it. No matter what I am liking the Firefox. Thanks again Arrrgh!
good to hear it! and the comments about 7 are pretty much correct. not sure about "XP framing and background" - or even what that means - but they essentially took vista and fixed the biggest gripes with it (speed, stability, bootup/shutdown times) - that's where you'll see the biggest improvements. it's still windows - you're still going to have that annoying UAC to turn off (the "do you really want to do that?" prompts) - and it's still going to be virus and malware ridden. i don't see that changing. i'm sorry but microsoft's idea of security is asking me if i really want to do that? c'mon. build some in from the ground-up, don't just throw it in as an afterthought.

and yes, you will never lose your "gooey" ;) even thin clients will be gui driven. heck even windows servers have guis. about the only way a computer without one would be useful is in a headless/server fashion - ie not connected to a monitor. and anymore, you'll only find linux/unix etc based systems that run without gui's (if you choose not to install one.) i don't have one on my server, just causes overhead!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
You also have to consider the market dominance of PCs over Macs - even if MS beefed up the security, A LOT more people will be A LOT more motivated to try and find ways through it.

The best thing Mac has going for it regarding security is its lack of market share IMHO.

·
Registered
434 Posts
You also have to consider the market dominance of PCs over Macs - even if MS beefed up the security, A LOT more people will be A LOT more motivated to try and find ways through it.

The best thing Mac has going for it regarding security is its lack of market share IMHO.
i'm sorry, but this attitude is flawed. not completely incorrect, just flawed :D

there is something to be said about the juggernaut that is microsoft - and how many more people would want to write virii for their stuff since most desktops run their software.

but think about web servers for a second - do you think microsoft IIS servers run the web? think again. something like 60% of all websites globally run apache. plus, macs are so much more secure because they're built on freebsd - which is a unix-like system similar to linux. security was built into those systems from the ground-up, industry standards were incorporated into the systems - hence the beauty of open-source. anybody can add to the code, and many security gurus worldwide have added their .02 to the projects - microsoft can never benefit from this with their current model.

hence the reason firefox is so much more secure than IE - it's built on an open model, so if a hole is discovered it is openly reported and typically fixed very quickly. i love open source software, and it is more secure because of the way it is developed - openly!

[/open source ramble]

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I am a gooey user
:boobies::bhump::boobies::jack::rofl:

Sing it with me now,

"The internet is for pooorn, the internet is for pooorn..."

OBTW I always thought the reason nobody wrote virii for Macs is because (back in the day) Macs were the anti-Windows and therefore hands-off, then later it was just because nobody gave a shit about Macs, and now it's because Macs just look like they're built for chicks, even if they have a Unix back end. I mean really, who the hell wants to hack a machine that looks like it was designed by Victoria's Secret?

·
Registered
434 Posts
yea, i'd never buy a mac. for one, i can't afford 'em. and two, you get LESS control than windows! mac's are for idiots who want computers to make choices for them.

·
7,735 Posts
eh-hem.. that sounds like it's coming from somebody who hasn't taken the time to figure out how to hack the mac.

EDIT: damn it.. I wasn't going to post in this thread! I was resisting but failed

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
X1,000,000 on the "market share" myth! :D

I am a professional developer mainly in the Linux environment. The whole argument of Winblows having more viruses, worms, spyware, etc because of market share is a myth created by Windoze supporters. Like previously stated, most web servers run on Apache web servers, which are generally hosted on Linux boxes. I’ve heard the “market share” myth so many times from Winblows IT people, that makes me wonder: “If there are so many Windoze supporters that don’t like Linux or Mac, why haven’t they written any viruses for them?” Of course it’s probably the anti-virus companies that actually write the viruses, but that’s a whole other story. The fact of the matter is that Winblows is defective and broken when it’s released to the public. MS has lost site of what an operating system is. It’s simply an environment to load & run applications….that’s it!

I like to use the “power in your house” analogy I came up with. You get a power line into your home from the power company to supply you power for your electrical devices. The power comes in through circuit breakers and breaks down into 110V outlets into your home (and of course the few 220V outlets for your oven, dryer, and welder). This is something that you never think about and is always there running in the background (with the rare occasion of a severe thunderstorm or not paying your electric bill). When you plug an electrical device into your outlet you expect the power to be alternating current at 110 or 220 volts. If you plug a lamp into an outlet and it doesn’t work, do you immediately check the circuit breakers or call the power company to tell them you have a problem? No, you check the bulb on the lamp.

An operating system is like the power in your home. It’s just there to provide you a means to running your applications and be as least intrusive as possible, just as the power for electrical devices. People have simply come to accept a certain level of failure when it comes to operating systems and they shouldn’t have to. Would you accept the same level of failure from your power company? Would the power company be able to stay in business if they had to change out transformers, circuit breakers, and upgrade your house every other month? Would it be acceptable to you to have to “restart” the power in your house all the time by flipping the circuit breakers? When you think about the level of failure people accept with Winblows and compare it to any other product or service you pay for, it’s appalling. Not to mention, the service you get from Microsoft to fix your broken product. Can you get a refund on your broken product from Microsoft? Good luck!

For whatever reason it has been driven into people that this is the way it is and that’s normal and acceptable. A lot of the people who support Windoze are the same people that are directly or indirectly employed by this broken operating system. A lot of IT people support Winblows because it pays the bills. There should be no need for a full time IT staff to protect networks from attacks and viruses if the operating system works as it should. The real reason there are a total of zero viruses for Linux, Unix, and Mac is because the architecture is set up differently so simple things like telnet ports aren’t opened by any user, either with or without the intent. Microsoft finally started realizing its flaws when they thought up Vista. They have been trying very hard to copy the architecture model of Unix/Linux through only allowing the root account to access administrator files, directories, and services. Hence all the prompts you get when you want to do something as a privileged user. They have also been trying to copy the Firefox browser since the inception of Exploder 6 (I think 6 was the first one). Notice how IE now has tabbed browsing now? They got that from Firefox, which has been around for several years now. They knew IE was broken and insecure and more people were starting to use Firefox, so they put a ton of work into it to make it more Firefox-like. Mozilla should be very flattered ;)

I bought a laptop with Vista on it back in 2006. I gave it about a year before I switched back to XP. I gave that about another year before I finally switched to a Mac. Now I’ve tried the Linux thing at home before but the problem was that some applications I ran, like my GPS software, don’t have a Linux version and there really wasn’t a reasonably priced virtualization product available at that time. About a year ago I got so sick & tired of running antivirus, anti-spyware, anti-malware, hourly updates, and tons of anti-productive software so much that whenever I went to use my computer for something simple like check my email or surf the net I would get an attitude from my computer basically saying “I’m busy! Come back later!”. Before I made the switch I had to do some research. I found out that you could run Parallels as a virtual machine that would run Winblows and my windoze apps…great! Now, what about MS office? As much as I hate Winblows, I think their office suite is unmatched. It really is a good product…probably because it’s not an OS ;) Well, MS makes a Mac version of their office suite and I can get it for $20 through work, so that takes care of that issue. Next: user feedback. Here’s where it gets interesting.

I went around everywhere I could find someone using a Mac and asked them how they liked it. I must have asked 20 different users in person and a dozen more online. I also asked a colleague of mine who is a very experienced and well known network administrator at the Top Gun range about Macs. What was interesting was that I got the EXACT same results from every person I talked to: they love it! I thought for sure I would find at least one person who didn’t like it, but I didn’t and I still can’t find anyone that doesn’t like their Mac. Think about that for a minute. How hard is it to find someone who doesn’t like their Windoze machine?

So, I made the switch a while ago and I couldn’t be happier with my purchase….and it was an expensive purchase! I was used to paying about $600 for a Dell laptop and ended up paying $2K for this one :eek: But, like “most” things in life…you get what you pay for. The ONLY time I have had to reboot my laptop is when Winblows hung in the Parallels virtual machine. I don’t have any anti-productive software hogging up most of my resources and have had no issues with the OS…as I shouldn’t. I simply have a lot more free time since I don’t have to “maintain” my operating system anymore. It’s like when I got a DVR. Now that I don’t waste time watching commercials, I have more free time to do other things. I can actually watch more shows now while watching less TV overall.

Now I know Troy will probably chime in about his experience with his iPhone, but that’s not what I’m talking about here. I don’t know anything about the iPhone and that’s a completely different product with a different purpose. When it comes to operating systems for home computers, there’s only one that doesn’t work but several that do. The reason there are only viruses for Windoze and not any other OS is because of the architecture, not the market share. The default user for Winblows, prior to Vista, has administrative privileges which opens a huge door for attacks and security problems. Vista is annoying because they tried to replicate what Mac and Linux already do, without changing their architecture, thus making most user interactions that really shouldn’t need admin access cumbersome. Win32, and Win64 for that matter, still have a registry. Here in lies part of the problem. Until Microsoft changes their architecture they will have no hope in actually producing a non-intrusive, robust operating system.

The point.
Don’t accept this level of failure from something you depend on so much and spend so much time & money on. You wouldn’t accept it for anything else, why accept it here? Yes, Macs are far more expensive than a PC…and there’s a reason for it. It’s the same reason a Toyota Corolla costs more than a Geo metro; the same reason Boze noise cancelling headphone cost more than headphones from Wal-Mart; the same reason a burger from Fuddruckers costs more than a burger from McDonalds...and so on. When you buy a “physical” product, you generally get what you pay for, and in this case the physical product is from the same people that make the non-physical products loaded on it: Apple. They make the hardware and the operating system and software that come on it and they make sure that both are compatible. When it comes to Windoze, it’s a crapshoot every time. And, it’s not just one company making both the hardware and software. Like I stated earlier, it’s the architecture of the operating system.

However, with the evolution of open source software the “get what you pay for” scenario is not necessarily the case anymore when it comes to software. Now you have some of the best developers from around the world looking at the same code making it better all the time and because of the licensing agreement of open source, a lot of this software is free to use. There are, and always will be, disagreements in implementation of open-source operating systems, however there are not any disagreements in the architecture. That’s because the best developers in the world know what works and what doesn’t. This brings me to Firefox. If you’re not using Firefox for your web browser, then you have no idea how much more user friendly it is to surf the net. Download it and try it out. Most importantly browse through the add-ons for it to customize it any way you like…the big reason Firefox is nicer to use. However, if you’re still on the always broken and insecure Winblows, then don’t do anything without this important add-on:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

Linux is quickly becoming another viable option with the rise of Ubuntu & Dell. Want to run MS Office? No problem with Crossover-Linux: http://www.codeweavers.com/ My only complaint: I like iTunes and it’s not always supported by Code Weavers.

The point is you really do have more than one option and you shouldn’t settle for this level of failure. But don’t just take my word for it. Ask others who use something other than Windows. I’m not the only one ;)

My :2cents:

·
Registered
434 Posts
wow holy crap. i guess that was inevitable. good points, and mrdoug is right i haven't taken the time to hack a mac. i'm a cheap bastard, and i built my linux server for less than $400. if it was a mac, it would've been over 1400, maybe even more. and there would've been unnecessary overhead, etc. i like what mac's built on, i just don't like the lack of options & the shelf price. granted, i think their OS is $119 for just the system, but good luck getting that to work on non-mac hardware. there's a reason their stuff runs so well, if you know what kinda hardware is going into the device there's no compatibility issues!

plus, my time is better spent working/learning the ins and outs of linux rather than trying to "hack" OSX onto my system. maybe yours is better spent hacking OSX to work, but i'd rather hit the ground running with something i know'll work out of the box. there's a lot of misconceptions about linux, mostly because of microsoft FUD - like hardware compatibility? sure, there'll be a few devices that have issues - but for the most part i didn't have to install a SINGLE driver for linux. everything was built into the kernel. sooooo much easier than windows!

·
Registered
438 Posts
OK. So I have a laptop with Vista on it. I have downloaded Explorer 8.0. Lately it will not connect to a link within anything. For instance on the Moab Pic thread I cannot open the photobucket video links. It will open a new window but just sits there thinking. WTF is causing this? Any ideas? My first thought is to go back to Explorer 7.0. But if you have any ideas please let me know. I hope the new OS from Windows is better then this crap. :mad:
So, not to put this thread back on track :D, but is your pop-blocker turned on? I think it's turned on by default in IE8 (not sure becuase I leave mine turned on all the time anyway). Also, if it's a link not loading from a webpage, that should be a problem with your browser, not the OS. And for what it's worth, I'm currently posting this from a computer running Vista with IE8 installed and have had zero problems with the TTORA forum:)

<de-rail online thread> :soapbox::deadhors: My thought on the whole OS debate is pick one and deal with it and it's limitations. If you want to go the Mac route, assume you will have some program compatibility issues. If you go the Linux/Unix/*-ix route, assume you will have to configure more options yourself but also have more flexability and open-source options. If you go the Windows route, assuem you will have to deal with way more virus/mal-ware/spyware issues.

I think this debate is more about personal preference. I've always been an Microsoft guy (DOS 6.22 thru Vista), probably always will. I don't have anything agains Mac and Linux users, just not my choice.:2cents:</de-rail online thread>

·
Registered
434 Posts
88RunnerMike couldn't have said it better. it's all personal preference - if you don't like what you're using, there are choices. there's always choices. microsoft windows is by no means the only os, it's just probably the *easiest* - in the sense that it's the most widely used, most apps are written for it, and most hardware _tries_ to be compatible with it. i use both linux and windows. they each have their strengths and weaknesses, i just prefer to run linux :D - much easier to manage/maintain.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Easiest? Hah! Windows is a pain in the ass.

So...my problems with Mac:

-Single button hamfisted mouse.

-OS designed around PnC interface.

-Hidden auxiliary files with prepended symbols to describe bullshit like what damn color the icon should be.

-Mount a network drive to a Mac and watch files appear without doing anything, like rabbit poop that seems to suddenly appear on a fresh lawn. I am always cleaning this stuff up, along with the aforementioned auxiliary descriptor files. Sometimes I even have write permission to those files without having to su. What a mess.

-iCulture. Really.

I figure that movie Wall-E had it about right...when I saw Wall-E, I thought of hacked-together -Ixen, built with duct tape and baling wire. Then Eve shows up, and I think "yep, that's a Mac." Sleek, powerful, fast, no obvious way to disassemble, resistant to modification, and anthropomorphically feminine. Macs are for chicks, the hardware+software illiterate, and those people shown in the movies standing in front of a screen saying "enhance...enhance...enhance...". The only people who actually seem to use the Unix capabilities are Linux & Unix people...to iCulture, it's just a marketing point.

Lulz with "iPeople": Bring up a big, GUI-dominating terminal window on an unsuspecting Mac user's machine, then list any directory with every option you can think of, and laugh while they yell at you in utter confusion for breaking their computer. Works better if the terminal is the full screen. OMGONOOOOZ!

Things I can't stand about Windows:

-Pretty much all of it, from the Fischer-Price-like GUI to the OS-knows-best attitude of whoever wrote it. The first, I don't like about Mac either, but at least Mac doesn't think it's fucking Skynet. Mac is too "progressive liberal" to think it's something like Skynet anyway...it's like the Eloi of the computer world.

-Like Mac, I have to click a zillion times to make something happen, compared to a few keystrokes on the Linux machine.

-Hang on, I changed something, need to reboot.

-Hang on, something changed but I don't know what, need to reboot.

-Haven't rebooted in a couple days, better do it now just in case.

-Why did it reboot overnight? This is the Nth time I've set the update flag NOT to reboot automatically!

-It crashed again, and I need to reboot, but have to cycle the power, so it's gonna freak out when it loads up.

-It crashes during an install of one thing or another, and the reboot flag is set, so as soon as it loads up, it wants to reboot.

-Can you do something, just once, without a fucking reboot?

-The goddamn registry.

-Cannot come up with a unique idea to save their fucking lives. If Windows is doing it, you can bet someone else did it better, earlier.

Give me a terminal window, a keyboard and a monochrome screen, a handful of fast processors, vi, a few software development tools (not GUIs...compilers, interpreters, etc), and I'll be happy. I don't need a mouse, I don't need a GUI, and I don't need a paper clip telling me what to do. Maybe you could say "but you're using a GUI right now, with Firefox!" Not necessary, and I guarantee it's faster to key through the menu options than it is to mouse. All I need the GUI for is animated smiley faces.

All my real work is done on Linux and Solaris. Windows is for surfing the web and playing music, and that only because I happen to have a Windows machine that's a dumb terminal to the workhorses, so I'm not soaking processor cycles or memory from the machines that are actually doing the work.

...Wow, that was really cathartic :lmao:.

-Sean

·
Registered
878 Posts
Try the VLC media player ... and Firefox!

I am both a Mac and PC user ...

I have a top of the line portable workstation that cost more than any of the new top of the line Macs do ...and it blows in graphics quality and photo editing speed compared to my 5+ yr old G4 (I got this workstation because it was one of five notebooks I could configure to run Autodesk 3d software and the only one better of the five was a $5k Alienware custom PC ),

web surfing on Windows XP or Vista is F'n frustrating compared to OSX ... unless you are sticking to window live based sites!

Macs get virus and have vulnerability(especially if you visit .RU sites like the russian off road rally site I posted a while back ) ... but removing/solving the problems and patching the breeches to me is a lot easier on OSX, and frankly despite the 11% home based computer market share is better supported that Windows ... the programers and distribution system are just more efficient I feel!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Holy Crap, you guys are computer nerds! Haha. No offense, but Wow! You know a ton of crap about software, etc.

For some of us Philistines out here, a computer is just a tool, like a hammer or maybe a calculator, but more complex to operate. We just use them to do what we need them to do and don't really care about what goes on inside the plastic and metal casing, so long as we can make it do what we want it to. In my case, that means internet-based research, word processing and mapping for work, internet communication, web surfing and photo editing at home, and that's about it. But you guys take it to a whole new level! I admit, I'm not worthy by comparison. Now go get a couple of new pocket protectors and get back to work! :p

Just kidding, fellas. Really, I'm impressed. I took computer programming back in the dark ages in H.S. so I learned some rudimentary programming in Basic and Pascal to get out of taking a math class or two. And that's it. Its all mystery, genius and wizardry what goes on inside the box to me.

Fortunately I don't have to know how to program my truck in order to drive it up obstacles (at least not yet, though I'm sure that day is coming).

·
Registered
878 Posts
I am either to lazy or just to uninterested in programing to have continued Linux use ... I had Linux on my computer in college because everyone I worked with did and I thought open source was worth while knowing, as of yet it hasn't really panned out ... it was a favorable OS when compared to Windows NT or '98 but man was it a pain to convert files for others to use and boy did any web surfing other than Linux users Prodigy sites suck!

I have a three button wireless scroll mouse and keyboard being used on my Mac ... so that complaint is easily solved!

full screen terminal rocks:

osascript -e \

1 - 20 of 38 Posts