TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warranty alert: Toyota set to fix engines in new Tundra

Camshaft failures in the V-8 engine option have gotten the attention of Toyota execs.

Toyota said that it has found a defect that caused the engines to fail in some of its new Tundra pickup trucks, according to a report in USA Today.

Toyota has received reports of camshafts breaking in the engines of about 20 Tundras so far. The flaw was due to a manufacturing defect by a subcontractor. All of the engines are being replaced.

The factory has not issued a recall. "We're still investigating it. We don't believe it was that many," a Toyota spokesman said.

Toyota said earlier this month that its pre-launch forecasts are on track for Tundra. It hopes to sell as many as 200,000 this year, up from about 125,000 of the old model last year.

Although optional, the 381-horsepower 5.7-liter V-8 has quickly stepped out as the most popular engine for the Tundra, which is depicted in ads as having brawny towing capabilities. About 65% of buyers opt for it.

If a camshaft breaks, the engine will barely work or not at all. Toyota is giving owners new ones that are shipped overnight to dealers.

http://www.dealersedge.com/index2.html?topmain.html&0

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
The more shit Toyota has built in the U.S. the more problems they have.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
I can hear the Chevy, Ford and Dodge owners prepping thier guns on this one...

So is it known what defect there is? Similar to the Scratch on the Balljoint?

Hopefully they resolve it. I'm looking to get a tundra in a couple of years.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
thats what the shitheads get for fucking outsourcing. Seems that lately everything made in america sucks and anything made in mexico sucks worse. I think manufacturely speaking, america and mexico are pretty fucking close to eachother.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I guess mainly because mexicans build everything in american plants, and the crackers that run the plants cant walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. And probably dont even know what a camshaft is.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Similar to the 1st gen tundras and the tranny problems. Toyota knew about the issue but, didn't do a recall.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Similar to the 1st gen tundras and the tranny problems. Toyota knew about the issue but, didn't do a recall.
at least they are fixing this one...you guys with the crappy trannys got screwed.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Seems to me like the root cause of alot of these parts failures could be due to the high cost / low quality of steel and other alloys lately. I doubt that it's coincidental that the failure of parts such as gears, camshafts, etc. comes at a time when the quality of raw metals is at an all time low, and manufacturers are doing everything that they can to cut costs :confused:

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Seems to me like the root cause of alot of these parts failures could be due to the high cost / low quality of steel and other alloys lately. I doubt that it's coincidental that the failure of parts such as gears, camshafts, etc. comes at a time when the quality of raw metals is at an all time low, and manufacturers are doing everything that they can to cut costs :confused:
Kiazen and Six Sigma are the major causes of the cost cutting, they keep forcing the subcontractors to make shit for less money so quality ends up suffering, why should they build something that is over engineered when they can just pawn off stuff that is ok.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Kiazen and Six Sigma are the major causes of the cost cutting, they keep forcing the subcontractors to make shit for less money so quality ends up suffering, why should they build something that is over engineered when they can just pawn off stuff that is ok.
And to make matters worse, its become standard and acceptable practice to just sweep problems under the rug in an effort to CYA. So, when there is a problem, the consumers are told that it's not a manufacturing defect, and use any excuse not to cover it. They hope that the problem will just go away, or at least people's warranties will run out before they find out about it. Manufacturers just need to realize that mistakes are made, problems do happen, and just step up and take care of them. Its gotten to the point where someone has to die, or there has to be a huge public outcry before companies will do a recall or even a TSB, just because that is admitting that there is a problem, and then they will have to fix it.

To the credit of Toyota, at least they are acknowledging the camshaft problem and fixing it. At a time when they are finally catching up with the big 3 in the truck department, the last thing that they need is for Ford and Chevy to say "Toyota Tundra, the most power in its class ...... until the cams break."

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Hopefully they resolve it. I'm looking to get a tundra in a couple of years.
Me too, thou I am hoping for a 3/4 ton diesel with a OEM jake brake and a manual tranny....

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
According to truck trend mag they said toyota is tring to get their 4.6L diesel certified as soon as possible.
I could not tell ya. It's published in Four Wheeler. The accuracy can be questioned, obviously.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I could not tell ya. It's published in Four Wheeler. The accuracy can be questioned, obviously.
yeah, I read that too... I was extremely disappointed. You can't ever really tell though, they might just be waiting until the new laws go into effect to put something out so they don't have to build seperate versions. We're running into this problem a lot at work(Penske)... People are signing leases on 08' Tractors and Box Trucks, but then they figure out that its got the new engine in it, they want 07's b/c they're scared the mileage is gonna be a big issue :rolleyes:

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
yeah, I read that too... I was extremely disappointed. You can't ever really tell though, they might just be waiting until the new laws go into effect to put something out so they don't have to build seperate versions. We're running into this problem a lot at work(Penske)... People are signing leases on 08' Tractors and Box Trucks, but then they figure out that its got the new engine in it, they want 07's b/c they're scared the mileage is gonna be a big issue :rolleyes:
Hmm... I honestyly have no clue. Like often.

Me, i'm gonna by a 2500 HD Duramax when the income allows it. regular cab, 4x4, a whole lot like my first truck. that truck can run on diesel or full biodiesel wit the right mods.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Hmm... I honestyly have no clue. Like often.

Me, i'm gonna by a 2500 HD Duramax when the income allows it. regular cab, 4x4, a whole lot like my first truck. that truck can run on diesel or full biodiesel wit the right mods.
There just is something wrong with aluminum heads on a diesel, kinda like two boys fucking... it happens and works for some, but not this guy....

If I cant get a diesel tundy in 3/4 with a manual and good jake brake I will probably buy a cummins.... but not until the taco is paid off...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts