TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 2002 dblcab trd and have about $8,000 to spend on it. I want the ultimate in look, off road, and practicality. I don't want to wear out parts by over lifting? I do like the look of expeditions west type vehicle, but haven't driven it?

What is the ultimate list of goodies to add?

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
carl said:
I just bought 2002 dblcab trd and have about $8,000 to spend on it. I want the ultimate in look, off road, and practicality. I don't want to wear out parts by over lifting? I do like the look of expeditions west type vehicle, but haven't driven it?

What is the ultimate list of goodies to add?
Put yer $8 in the bank, spend a few months here on the board and by summer you'll have a good idea of what you want. Dont rush in and waste $8k and then change your mind and hate what you did. You're lucky to have $8 to spend on a truck, spend it wisely. Id suggest wheeling your stock rig a few times to even see if you like wheeling and how much you wish to get into.

WTH in case you're sure you want to get into wheeling

If I had a stock truck and 8k:

4.7 crawler and twinstick

rear ARB locker or get a front if you have a TRD already

front and rear winches and bumpers

sliders

custom skidplates for crawler

a Budbuilt skid to replace the stock ones

33's or 35's depending on lift

no drop bracket lift - go with 3" and a 1" body and some trimming and tubing- see Dunk's truck (he has a bit of trimming though) ;)
SAW coilovers will give you 3" and a Roger Brown 1" body lift

and some recovery junk, tow straps, snatch blocks, shackles, CO2 tank, etc

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
read the other posts that are just like this. or give me the 8 grand and ill get stuff for my truck , and ill give you a full review or everything. then youll know

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
GOT COPE? said:
Put yer $8 in the bank, spend a few months here on the board and by summer you'll have a good idea of what you want. Dont rush in and waste $8k and then change your mind and hate what you did. You're lucky to have $8 to spend on a truck, spend it wisely. Id suggest wheeling your stock rig a few times to even see if you like wheeling and how much you wish to get into.
His advice is... the best advice... don't be in a hurry or you'll piss yer money away on stupid shit...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
off road

I will be using off road, and want ensure it is as capable as possible, yet not raised up so far you can't drive it in reasonable comfort. I don't want issues with CV joints, drive line issues, etc... I assume that from researching on line that a 2-2.5" type coilover lift, 8-10 pack leaf set up in back "apppears" somewhat common and good? also I like look of (haven't used them) either a 285/75/16 or 255/85/16 MT tire. I was leaning toward BFG MT. Sliders, seems everyone has an opinion, and from research, the Demello's appear common, but a few have bent them?

Front, I was leaning to ARB bumper with Warn winch.

Rear, I haven't seen anything I like? Not crazy about a tube bumper, but a safari gard type.

I have rear elec. locker, and looks like a front locker would be nice? best here?

Obviously everyone has stuff they either like, or say they like it because they have it. I'm trying to find out these answers from those who've done it either right or wrong!

I do agree though that it is smart to do the research up front before spending the cash.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
carl said:
I don't want issues with CV joints, drive line issues, etc.....

.....I do agree though that it is smart to do the research up front before spending the cash.
The stuff you mentioned above is a part of beating on a rig.

Are you wanting something that can tackle any terrain on a moments notice, or are you looking for a capable hunting rig or perhaps an expedition type set-up? I cant tell you to search enough, and wheel, then spend the money.

Do some research. Like a few months worth, and wheel with what ya got. Look at other's trucks and see what you like.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Find your local TTORA chapter and head out with them on the next run. If pictures are worth a thousand words, then seeing stuff in person is priceless. Ask around, see what works and what doesn't in person, maybe ride in a set up you think you'ld like/could afford, etc.

You're lucky and found this board before you started tearing into stuff. I was already on my second lift by the time I ever heard of TTORA. I could have saved a lot of $$$$ had I known about this and just read and asked questions for a few months.

Good luck!

Rob

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
GOT COPE? said:

Are you wanting something that can tackle any terrain on a moments notice, or are you looking for a capable hunting rig or perhaps an expedition type set-up? I cant tell you to search enough, and wheel, then spend the money.

Do some research. Like a few months worth, and wheel with what ya got. Look at other's trucks and see what you like.

x2 or x3 on the research..there is a guy in the late model taco folder that is on something like his third front suspension and 3 set of wheel or something...kind of crazy
Do it right the first time...you will be money ahead. I wish I had the $8k..
Check out Expeditions West...nice truck:
http://www.expeditionswest.com/vehicles/ewvehicles/tacoma/index.html

·
Registered
131 Posts
the green truck i belive the second one down does any one know who makes that front bumper. i have been looking for one for my truck that has bars for the regular lights and is not as big as the arb if any one knows who makes that please tell me or is it a custom made bumper. if so do you think you can send me those mesurments so that i can attempt to make it myself thanks
josh
GOT COPE? said:

·
Registered
342 Posts
ThePinkTaco said:
By any chance is FoxFab doing the work?
nice memory cody. i didn't even think this was the guy mike was talking about. he seems to do good work. i like his sliders but i haven't seen any other work except from what he puts on the site. his shop is alittle far away from me. he's in conneticut.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
831tacoma said:
the green truck i belive the second one down does any one know who makes that front bumper. i have been looking for one for my truck that has bars for the regular lights and is not as big as the arb if any one knows who makes that please tell me or is it a custom made bumper. if so do you think you can send me those mesurments so that i can attempt to make it myself thanks
josh
I believe thats a Badlands bumper.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
About this Discussion
83 Replies
50 Participants
gsmsnuffy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing