TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally got it handed back to me after all these years. Went down to do some spearfishing, and made base camp at Octavio'sd, just north of Puertocitos. My dive area was Gonzaga/ Punta Bufeo area. 42 mile desert run each way to the spot. YEAH!!! So I scout for fish on Fri. and time my run back to Octavios for our dive competition on Saturday. I make the run in an hr, in the dark. Pretty good timing. On my GPS, the turnoff is showing as 200-300 ft. ahead. So, I slow down, and when I see the turnout, I pull in. It doesn't LOOK right... I STOP. I sit for 5 seconds looking out into my lights, when suddenly the dirt I am parked on slides out from under me. The truck teeters(Not Tweeters..) and then it just free-falls STRAIGHT FUCKING DOWN! BOOM. Right on its' nose. TIMBER.....plop. Right on its' side. I am there doing the deal, hanging from the seat belt. Engine is still running, etc. Sonovabitch!!! Shut it all down, undo the belt, fall down into the windshield. Great. Just great. I crashed at 0 miles an hour. Gotta be some kind of record for Polish offroading history. It took 2 trucks to pull it out, we put a spare tire under the chassis to pull it up out of the ditch over the concrete. Carnage was limited to: Bodywork, rt. side. Alignment was off a little bit from the extraction. And, strange enough, when plowing it out, the wheels cocked over so hard, it spun a banjo bolt loose, and dumped my brakes. Total trail repair was 30 minutes. I ran the truck the next day for the tournament, shot my big fish, made the 42 mile run in 45 minutes back north from Bufeo to Puertocitos. The truck worked really well, considering I had a zodiak and 100lb of fish in the back!!! And, to top it off, I won the tournament! So, a little redemption for me and my tippy, dinged up taco.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Dang Paul that looks even more shear/vertical then you explained on the landline...

That wall looks like concrete in this pic... You said it was dirt right ? and that it broke away/collapsed ? You should have stood on the gas after you were commited... You may have just popped up and out the other side... ha ha

At least you weren't hurt... Fark who else am I gonna get to help me mod my junk... LOL

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Well, finally got it handed back to me after all these years. Went down to do some spearfishing, and made base camp at Octavio'sd, just north of Puertocitos. My dive area was Gonzaga/ Punta Bufeo area. 42 mile desert run each way to the spot. YEAH!!! So I scout for fish on Fri. and time my run back to Octavios for our dive competition on Saturday. I make the run in an hr, in the dark. Pretty good timing. On my GPS, the turnoff is showing as 200-300 ft. ahead. So, I slow down, and when I see the turnout, I pull in. It doesn't LOOK right... I STOP. I sit for 5 seconds looking out into my lights, when suddenly the dirt I am parked on slides out from under me. The truck teeters(Not Tweeters..) and then it just free-falls STRAIGHT FUCKING DOWN! BOOM. Right on its' nose. TIMBER.....plop. Right on its' side. I am there doing the deal, hanging from the seat belt. Engine is still running, etc. Sonovabitch!!! Shut it all down, undo the belt, fall down into the windshield. Great. Just great. I crashed at 0 miles an hour. Gotta be some kind of record for Polish offroading history. It took 2 trucks to pull it out, we put a spare tire under the chassis to pull it up out of the ditch over the concrete. Carnage was limited to: Bodywork, rt. side. Alignment was off a little bit from the extraction. And, strange enough, when plowing it out, the wheels cocked over so hard, it spun a banjo bolt loose, and dumped my brakes. Total trail repair was 30 minutes. I ran the truck the next day for the tournament, shot my big fish, made the 42 mile run in 45 minutes back north from Bufeo to Puertocitos. The truck worked really well, considering I had a zodiak and 100lb of fish in the back!!! And, to top it off, I won the tournament! So, a little redemption for me and my tippy, dinged up taco.
seem to be some missing parts to this story ;) wtf happened to the road??

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
uhh yeah. how did the ground fall out from under you. ground hog infestation?
natural disaster movie?

that sucks about your truck man. the worst part is you werent even doing anything cool to earn it

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
badmoonrising said:
natural disaster movie?

that sucks about your truck man. the worst part is you werent even doing anything cool to earn it
most likely driver error :p

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
badmoonrising said:
im just picturing the road runner cartoons where wiley runs off the cliff and is standing still for a minute before he falls
Man, it actually felt like in the movies when the person teeters on the cliff, and they try to lean back.... the thing with the road is: It is a brand new paved road. So when they did the grading, they just pushed all the topsand off the side, and made piles and such. It was never packed or anything. Just plowed to make a shoulder. So when I stopped on it, even the weight of a light truck like a tacoma was enough to cause a little landslide. When I climbed out and was walking around, I was sinking into the sand it was so soft, up to my ankles. The only traction I had was from the front wheel trying to hold up the truck on the drainage chute. Covered in sand, it didn't last long. And Chris, IF I had gone off this one at my usual 40-50mph, I'd be writing this from my hospital bed. ;) or heaven/ hell. It was simply a reminder that no matter how much experience you have in a place, you can still be caught offguard. And no alcohol was involved. I went dry Dec. 30, so even I was a little mystified how I wound up there.Here are a few different pics. It will only allow me so many as thumbnails at a time.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Man, it actually felt like in the movies when the person teeters on the cliff, and they try to lean back.... the thing with the road is: It is a brand new paved road. So when they did the grading, they just pushed all the topsand off the side, and made piles and such. It was never packed or anything. Just plowed to make a shoulder. So when I stopped on it, even the weight of a light truck like a tacoma was enough to cause a little landslide. When I climbed out and was walking around, I was sinking into the sand it was so soft, up to my ankles. The only traction I had was from the front wheel trying to hold up the truck on the drainage chute. Covered in sand, it didn't last long. And Chris, IF I had gone off this one at my usual 40-50mph, I'd be writing this from my hospital bed. ;) or heaven/ hell. It was simply a reminder that no matter how much experience you have in a place, you can still be caught offguard. And no alcohol was involved. I went dry Dec. 30, so even I was a little mystified how I wound up there.Here are a few different pics. It will only allow me so many as thumbnails at a time.
at least you still got to go fishing :D

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Jesus Paul glad to hear you're alright. Baja Belk and I had a similar experience that I'm sure everyone knows about but the rubber never left the sand. Glad to hear you're alright and not stuck in Mexico somewhere, could've been a lot worse. At least you caught a few fish to make yourself feel better right?

·
Registered
217 Posts
sorry to hear about that. you should have blamed it on your son. HEHE. gota love the fact the yota just keeps going no matter how many times you try to break it.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
badmoonrising said:
natural disaster movie?
Duh... Global Warming!!!

Glad to hear that you made it with no injuries... From the pix its kinda hard to tell how and which way the truck fell!! Hmmm... I'll have to look at them again!!..

Glad to hear that you are safe and that you won the Turnie!! :D

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hytenor said:
at least you still got to go fishing :D
Fishing??? That, my friend, is KILLING! ;) If FREEK wants to hook up with me, I am planning to go back in April. Oh yeah, Dave... it's cage time now. We have to pull upholstery to pound out the dings, so when we do, I'll add some tubing at the same time.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
NICE cabrilla Paul. Bet that monster made plenty of fish tacos! I think this Easter dez trip is gonna get in the way of my yellowtail trip to loreto :(

·
Registered
629 Posts
Rojo, Congrats on the big fish & win. Helluva job!
I think you free divers are insane for jumpin in and joining the food chain. :eek:
Sorry you got a crunchy taco. It is what it is and at least you didn't get hurt.
We should hook up & fish...I've got a couple baja trips planned for 2007. Bay of LA, Morro Santo Domingo and the East Cape.
I got a fleet of kayaks that are rigged and ready... local, the islands or baja - its all good.

John

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
nice fish, nice excuse to cage:D and really nice no one ended up in a baja clinica.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Oh yeah, Dave... it's cage time now. We have to pull upholstery to pound out the dings, so when we do, I'll add some tubing at the same time.
Niiiiiiiiiice :kewl: I've been waiting patiently for this :D

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Baja Belk said:
NICE cabrilla Paul. Bet that monster made plenty of fish tacos! I think this Easter dez trip is gonna get in the way of my yellowtail trip to loreto :(
50lb 4oz. gulf grouper. I lost one the day of my crash, he was a foot and a half longer. Probably 70-80lb. He just smiled, and politely took all my shit, busted the tip of the gun, and took my shaft. One bad ass fish. Oh well!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts