TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try one of these possibly, the Amsoil filter wasn't happy in my airbox. Only ever remember 1 person running one of these.

Thoughts? Fitment, etc...?

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
It can be very good, but alot depends on your environment & care. Figure it'll take you about 5 regualr filter changes for it to pay for itself, which is how your environment comes into play. Some people have had issues due to over-oiling, which gets on the MAF & throws codes. Also, if you don't clean it regularly you lose efficiency quickly. On the good side, if you are careful & take care of it, it cleans better.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The TRD filter is made by AFE. AFE was started by former employees of K&N. It is very simular to a K&N and uses a cotton gauze filter media.

Just hold one up to the Sun one day and see if you can count all the little holes in it that are much bigger then the dust particles you are trying to keep out of your engine.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gadget said:
I know that UNI makes some foam filters, but the one I saw did not appear to be foam. I was hard, like plastic, was read and oily.

It was on the Supercharged 4Runner that URD put one of our AIC units on for that TV show.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Can't remember who it was but I got the impression from another user who said they were a similar type foam element to the Amsoil. I really liked the foam element on the Amsoil while I had it, but the Flowzair didn't like my air box.

Do you happen to have any old school Amsoil filters laying around? If so I'll buy one.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I think AMSOIL had a great filter and decided to improve it into a filter that was not as good as the one it replaced.

I only have two of the old ones, one for each truck and I will never need to buy another one, sorry.

Going back to that UNI filter, I have seen the foam ones, they are nice, but the one I am speaking of was not foam or did not appear to be. It was kind of hard and had a honey comb appearence to it with lots of frame work. It kind of resembled the fuel rod for a nuke reactor. The filter part was pink, and the plastic frame was black. I should reach out to that guy and find out more about that specific UNI filter.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been running the UNI filters for a while now and think there the best out there. I'm a amsoil dealer and now tell any customers who want the V6 filter to buy a UNI instead. It's a 2 stage foam filter just like the amsoil and doesn't have the fitting issues of the newer amsoil filters. UNI also makes a cone foam filter that fits the K&N FIPK kit which I'll put back on and try with the new filter one of these days. They also sell bulk packs of foam so you can make you own filters or pre-filters.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts