TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***This was a post I put on the old board right before we switched over to this board***

Hey all!

After reading a lot of posts on here and elsewhere about how the K&N FIPK can let too much dirt inside, it got me paranoid. I removed the filter to take a look and sure enough, my intake was full of dirt/dust inside the tube. I couldn't switch to an AMSOIL foam filter because I don't have the stock airbox anymore. Sooo, I decided to go a different route. I got myself a foam prefilter from UNI Filters to go over the gauze conical filter.

I saw the filter wrap that K&N sells, but it was like $25.00 or more. I got the one from UNI for $17 shipped. I pulled the conical K&N filter off and slipped the UNI filter over it. It went right on. You're supposed to oil it like you would any air filter, but I chose not to since it was acting as a pre-cleaner and not the main filter. I think this also allows the air to flow through it better. Now I have a nice foam prefilter to keep the major dirt/mud out of the K&N without sacrificing hardly any of the air flow.

I have had it on for about a full tank of gas now (about 260 miles) and have no loss in power at all. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. Just thought I would share with everyone, hope it helps someone out.

**The full size pics are located here**
http://community.webshots.com/album/226729643IqUGQX

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do you go offroad a lot? I have had the FIPK for like 3.5 years and I don't have excess dirt up in there.

Either way, I too would like to know what the part # is and a link if possible to where you ordered it from.

Thanks,

Danny

·
Kill Yourself!
2,091 Posts
I would like to know this as well, If something like this will work I would go back to my K&N.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
ddriggers...

same here. I clean/oil my fipk once a year and the 'OMG!!! huge amount of dust/dirt/crud'...that I find in the elbow amounts to an extremely thin, finer-than-talc film that most any motor oil will take care of.

I go on trails so dusty you can't see the rig in right in front of you ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ive noticed between the K&N and Uni filters is the Uni seems to hold water more, kinda like a sponge, the K&N doesn't. I run the K&N pre filter with, with a Big K&N cone filter with no fender aprons, and the filter exposed in the stock location. The pre filter gets pretty dirty, but the cone filter stays fairly clean. It's always clean on the inside, so I guess they must work!

·
Registered
255 Posts
98 Taco said:
Fits over 5" - 6" x 9" 01-1110 12.95
Fits over 5" 6" x 12" 01-1122 14.95
which one did you get?
Ummmm..he said the first one, 01-1110. That is unless he edited the post after you posted Which makes this a stupid post by me :D . Can't tell if this new setup allows you see if they edited like before.
Sorry, just getting the post count up.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I just ordered a brand new replacement filter for my FIPK and bought a pre filter also so we'll see how it does

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've been using the precharger on my K&N since it was new in 1999. I get no dust in the intake. I work on offroad construction sites and go to baja often, so lots of off-road driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
hell yeah i got mine in the mail a few days ago and put it on w/my new filter and noticed no loss in power. I can't speak of the filtration since it's too soon but hopefully it will pay itself off.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
KStacoma said:
hell yeah i got mine in the mail a few days ago and put it on w/my new filter and noticed no loss in power. I can't speak of the filtration since it's too soon but hopefully it will pay itself off.
So did you get the UNI Pre-filter or the K&N Pre-Filter? I assume by your post you got the K&N.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
yeah i got the k&n dry charger, sort of expensive for what it is but ehh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
KStacoma
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing