TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I stopped into a local 4x4 shop here in Spokane, WA and the salesman behind the counter was asking me my plans for my truck, I told him I was gonna go with a midtravel set up. When I said to him one of the things I need to do was to replace the ucas with a uniball he warned me that they would only last about 15k. His said its because a fair amount of my driving will be done on pavement and because I dont live in a dryer climate, like california, that this would cause them to wear at a faster rate.

So my question to you guys, is this fact or false?

I do a fair amount of off roading during the fall and spring because its hunitng season. Typically driving through the woods, feilds or down washboarded dirt roads.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,404 Posts
What a load of crap. I've had my Camburg UCAs for about 6-7yrs now with at least 100k miles and one of the uniballs is just starting to show some play.

I could imagine road salt would shorten the life of the uniball, but worst case maybe they would need to be replaced every 3yrs? Hopefully somebody in the NE can give a perspective in their uniball UCAs.

Much of the longevity is in how well you maintain the uniballs. I use Tri-Flow to lube them and wipe down the excess. You don't want to use grease or anything that will attract and hold dirt. You also should regularly clean the uniballs after wheeling trips to wash off the dirt/mud.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a load of crap. I've had my Camburg UCAs for about 6-7yrs now with at least 100k miles and one of the uniballs is just starting to show some play.

I could imagine road salt would shorten the life of the uniball, but worst case maybe they would need to be replaced every 3yrs? Hopefully somebody in the NE can give a perspective in their uniball UCAs.
Yeah I was a bit taken back when I heard that. Here in WA we dont have road salt because of the salmon/fish laws but we have snow and rain but I dont see that as an extreme factor.

·
Registered
86 Posts
that was a consideration for me on my 03 since it was headed back to NH..i went with the light racing UCAs and couldn't be happier all around... it helps that i got them way cheaper from headstrong than any others i was looking at. i have no experience with the uniball ones but i am happy with the LRs and the no servicing/squeeking too

·
Registered
781 Posts
Someone that lives with road salt told me he has to replace uniballs and heims every couple months during the salt season (canada). Stainless steel hes hoping will last the salt season, then replace till the next season (twice a year).

Without road salt, im not sure. Replacing steel unis once a year doesnt sound too far off, stainless steel might last 2-3 years.

Icon ucas have a cap for the uniballs that will keep crap off the top of the uni where most wear occurs. Those might last quite a while. They are pretty damn expensive though. And no, their dust cap doesnt work on any other arms.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone that lives with road salt told me he has to replace uniballs and heims every couple months during the salt season (canada). Stainless steel hes hoping will last the salt season, then replace till the next season (twice a year).

Without road salt, im not sure. Replacing steel unis once a year doesnt sound too far off, stainless steel might last 2-3 years.

Icon ucas have a cap for the uniballs that will keep crap off the top of the uni where most wear occurs. Those might last quite a while. They are pretty damn expensive though. And no, their dust cap doesnt work on any other arms.
Interesting. How often are you guys running them in the rain or mud? or snow?

Looks like a replacement stainless uniball is about $60 per. So it wouldnt be then end of the world if I had to replace them but if its every year I might look at other options.

What about light racing? Their UCA's seem to be somewhat comparable to the Camburg or TC's? Obviously not a uniball but has adjustable camber. I would be running them with a king IFP or fox IFP extended travel coil overs

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that was a consideration for me on my 03 since it was headed back to NH..i went with the light racing UCAs and couldn't be happier all around... it helps that i got them way cheaper from headstrong than any others i was looking at. i have no experience with the uniball ones but i am happy with the LRs and the no servicing/squeeking too
Good to hear. Didn't even see this when I wrote my last post

·
Registered
750 Posts

Ya, I've had my Camburg UCA's on the Tundra for 2 seasons and they definitely need a rebuild - some of the nylon is being pushed out...

Then again, I put them through their paces - they're worked hard and left dirty more often than not. Just happens with where I work and live.

So ya, 15k? Maybe not, 35k? Probably. Mine have been on for around 45,000 km so take that for what you will.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed a Camburg kit on my wifes 04 Sequoia a year ago - 18K miles - and they are still great, just squeak when I forget to lube them :)
On my 92 4runner I have a JD Fab kit for 2 years - 20K miles - , and they see a lot of hard time and they are in great shape.

In Oregon, lots of rain and wet conditions here.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Interesting. How often are you guys running them in the rain or mud? or snow?

Looks like a replacement stainless uniball is about $60 per. So it wouldnt be then end of the world if I had to replace them but if its every year I might look at other options.

What about light racing? Their UCA's seem to be somewhat comparable to the Camburg or TC's? Obviously not a uniball but has adjustable camber. I would be running them with a king IFP or fox IFP extended travel coil overs
With what others are posting in similar conditions to you, id say youre good to go for a couple years between uni swaps. Get the stainless steel and you may be looking at 3+years.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good to hear. Didn't even see this when I wrote my last post
not sure if this matters to you but its an 03 doublecab with ext travel icons and 33 toyo mts that gets wheeled on trails, mud and rock and routinely makes the trip from NC to NH... after running these, i honestly wouldn't run any of the other options (unless i went LT) for the region/wheeling i do. i bought the truck in SoCal, and if i were still out there then the uniball style would be reasonable, but not worth it for me now

·
Registered
157 Posts
Icon ucas have a cap for the uniballs that will keep crap off the top of the uni where most wear occurs. Those might last quite a while. They are pretty damn expensive though.
I have them, the caps are actually a bad idea in terms of design, the dirt and moisture makes it's way up into the top area from the bottom and gets trapped. I live in Colorado and we have a lot of dirt, gravel and some other road treatments in the Winter time, even the IVD billet uniballs hardly last a year before they start squeaking, then groaning and need to be replaced.

I went through this twice in a three year period before I said to hell with it, took the caps off, drilled holes in the top and tapped them out for grease fittings. Depending on what my driving is like month to month, I purge grease at least once a month and usually after any really dirty trip. The grease fills the cavity up top and prevents crap from getting in there.

I did that mod back in 2009....they have been perfect ever since, look brand new, no play, no slop.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've got icons uca with their coil overs up front. Replaced one after about 18 months. Squeaked horribly and had a real bad shake/ vibration under braking. Added their caps so we'll see how much longer they last.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I bought my Camburgs because I got sick of how hard it was to change factory UBJ's, I rarely could get them off with a jaw type puller, couple times had to take them to a shop and have them pressed off/on. I also think the ride is better, and they're required for extended travel coilovers.

Math time!

Time off work to be able to hit shop...$200
+
Shop's rate to do work...$40
+
Cost of new UBJ's...$80 for 2 sides
=
$320

Cost for new unibals...$120 for 2 sides

I did buy a shop press recently, so you could take $240 off of the first calculation, but the press cost $170, and the pain in the ass factor is still huge, the unibals will be a piece of cake by comparison

I put White Lightning dry wax bike chain lube on mine, works awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts