TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
probably not any different...and for $825, i wouldnt spend the money to find out if it works. for that you can get a set of TRD headers which is known to give a little more oomph. or save a little more and get a supercharger

·
Registered
86 Posts
Legit upgrade...

Tundra guys already all over this one. Guys have already dynoed 300+ with s/c. Non-s/c guys looking at 233rwhp.

I would suggest custom tunes over anything. Find your local Unichip tuner and get it from them. This is one of its downsides, software is only avalible to authorized tuners.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
TRDKEAU said:
Legit upgrade...

Tundra guys already all over this one. Guys have already dynoed 300+ with s/c. Non-s/c guys looking at 233rwhp.

I would suggest custom tunes over anything. Find your local Unichip tuner and get it from them. This is one of its downsides, software is only avalible to authorized tuners.

Have you used this yourself? Just curious, because if non S/C guys are getting 233 rwhp then they are under advertising there product at 5-9% increase. And we know companies wouldn't underadvertise anything they are trying to sell. I'm just curious, because I think I am pretty mathematically inclined, even if we go with their advertised max increase of 9% we get 207.1 at the flywheel not 233 at the wheels, this is taking a 190 hp as my baseline since that is what it is suppose to be stock. If so I want to know the secret to making a 21 hp gain through the drivetrain instead of a HP loss. Lets remember one thing here energy is neither gained nor destroyed just transformed, so unless you know something I don't I cant see how this is possible. I am not trying to flame here, I just don't like to see false statements without test data to prove it. I think we worked too hard for our money to be taken by false advertisment and fake claims. Please humor me and send me the dyno test or links of such dynos.

Just curious if the 21+ hp is due to the sticker?

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
hawthorne said:
so would this make the urd kit easy to tune also? or would it conflict with it?

From what I gather in reading their description if it does anything at all it will do just what the FTC in the URD kit does only it has 2 preset MAPs. It changes the timing and fuel delivery. So to answer your question, no it will not help you tune the URD kit better it will just give you a different starting point. It is the end point you are interested in.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The UNICHIP works just like the FTC. Use one or the other, but not both.

300 HP on a supercharged 5VZ with just a UNICHIP, that is such BS. There is no way in the world that can possibly be. Are you sure that was not some other engine??

The UNCHIP is a fine unit, but it does have serious limitations depending on where you are. If you want to just buy something and plug it in and hope it is right for your truck and mods then that is the way to go. If it is not perfect for you truck, that is where the problems come in. Lots of Tundra guys bought these "plug and play" UNICHIPs and some ran well and a lot did not. Those guys needed a custom tune. So now the search is on for a local UNICHIP dealer that can perform the custom tune for you. That is easier said then done. There just are not that many out there and fewer that really know what the hell they are doing.

A custom tune is expensive by a UNICHIP dealer. Then everytime you change anything or make another mod, you need another custom tune.

I was a UNICHIP dealer and put a lot of thought into whether I was going to use the UNICHIP or another controller in our supercharger fuel kits. What I have learned is that every one of these trucks really needs its own custom tune to run properly. Two trucks, same year and same mods will take two different tunes. That is just the way it is. So, I needed to provide our customers with the ability to make any fine adjustmetns to the tune themselves if they were not near a compentent tuner.

This is the reason we went with the Split Second box. We ship our kits all over the world and the end user can adjust the tune for their truck, mods and location as needed and everytime they add a mod. It is not hard to do and there has been great success with this approach.

I am not saying in any way that the UNICHIP is a bad product in any way, in fact is a good one, but you will never have the ability to adjust the tune as needed for your specific needs. Cookie cutter programs are just not the best thing for most people.

If you live near a good UNICHIP dealer and want to go that route I suggest you buy your UNICHIP through that dealer and not mail order so they will be more motivated to help you get it tuned right for your truck. If you are supercharged and want to go UNICHIP we have fuel kits ready to go minus the controller that you will need to get that truck running well with the UNICHIP.

There is chance that we will be offering UNICHIPs for the normally aspirated trucks but we will have to wait and see on that.

Remember, custom tuning is what will make your truck run well. Just ask the Utah guys how well a sea level program works on thier trucks a 5000 feet...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Here's a vid I have of tundra owners ranging from exhaust only to TRD: headers, exhaust, supercharger and Unichip. Results with mods/specs are still being compiled.

Dyno run video

The video is 15 megs and 7 minutes long. If you have sound, you get a better effect.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a UNICHIP in my tacoma. And i Love it. My truck is actully one of the test trucks that the maps are based off of. My set up is 305cc injectors, supercharger, air intake, trd exhaust, and a Unichip. I was at unichip last week and i am getting 238 rwhp out of my tacoma. I wish i remember all the numbers but when i had nothing on the truck but the supercharger i had an increase of power until it leans out. The plug and play they have is really easy to install. Any vehical i buy now on i am going to get a unichp for it because the amount of power it makes. They also go through a lot of time tuning it to get those maps right.

If you had the money i would go that rout, but make sure you get anything you want done to your engine before getting the unichip so you can order it already set up for your engine.

TONY

Dont compare it to the jet chip, the jet chip is a joke and should not be on the market.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts