TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update on Karl - dirtygerman

Some of you may (or may not) have seen posts on Facebook regarding Karl (dirtygerman) being involved in a pretty nasty wreck.

On Saturday evening (2/22/14) Karl's truck left the roadway and overturned three times into a ditch. Karl sustained extensive injury to his head and body and was life-flighted to the hospital. He underwent surgery Sunday to repair skull fractures and was put into a medical coma to let his body rest. He has multiple broken ribs, fracture vertebrae, and lots of bumps and bruises. During this time, in brief moments wakefulness, he was responsive and able to move/feel all of his limbs, which is a blessing!

On Monday morning he had CT scans and they looked great. His neurosurgeon was extremely optimistic saying that his brain tissue all looks normal and functional. At that point, they decided to leave him sedated until Wednesday (2/26) to continue to let his body recover.

Here are the excerpts from Christina's facebook:

Christina 2/25/14 said:
Hey guys GOOD NEWS!!!!
Thank you SOOOO much for your continued prayers!!! They ARE working and being answered!!!! Karl had a good night last night, and this morning they reduced his sedation medicine and he woke up to his name being called and opened both eyes! He was able to follow several commands that he was asked and responded with shaking yes and no. He gave a thumbs up, squeezed the nurses' hand. He was able to move his hands, and legs as well!! They had him awake for 30 min, however they did place him back in the sedation until tomorrow when his neuro surgeon is there. Please keep praying!!! GOD IS GOOD

Christina 2/26/14 Morning said:
Hey guys!! I would like everyone to stop and say a prayer for Karl today. Today is a BIG day for him. He will be taken off of his sedation medication and woken up. He also will be getting the breathing tube removed. This is going to be a hard day for him and for us. Please pray for the hands, knowledge, resources of the Drs to make sure as he's coming out of sedation that it will be a successful and comfortable transition. We will update later this afternoon of more of his progress. Thank you so much for your continued thoughts and prayers! Last night as they were starting to wean him off sedation he was able to recognize Cricket and I there, he opened his eyes for a minute but we ask if he wanted for us to read to him, he shook his head yes, we read to him all of the FB posts and he really enjoyed it!! Thanks again for everything! Today is a big day for all of us and we CANT wait to talk to him!!
Christina 2/26/14 Afternoon said:
Yay!! Karl is doing amazing! He did really well when they took out the breathing tube and he's awake! Today is a great day! Thank you so much for your prayers!! God is good!
We are continuing to pray for Karl's recovery, and I will try to keep this one thread updated with any more news on how he is progressing.

One more note .... Karl has wheeled with GA/FL/SE-TTORA for several years now in his White '03 Tacoma. For those of you who have had the opportunity to spend time around him, you know he is always willing to pitch in and help out when needed, not afraid to get his hands dirty ... and always good for a laugh :)

He is the primary source of income for him, his wife, and their twin babies. (Who just happened to turn 1 year old last Friday - the day before his wreck).

While I know all they are asking for are your PRAYERS, if you feel so inclined, you can send a donation to their paypal account to help lessen the stress while he gets back to health -

any gifts can be sent via paypal to [email protected]

If nothing else, send up a few prayers and good thoughts for his recovery and comfort for his family - the prayers are working, undoubtedly!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Great to hear. Thanks for the updates and keep them coming!

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chatted with Christina this morning and she told me Karl had a good day yesterday... He got out of bed and sat in a chair for a while, and ate real food!

His recovery is going extremely well, but there is still a long road ahead - keep the prayers and good thoughts coming!

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Chatted with Christina this morning and she told me Karl had a good day yesterday... He got out of bed and sat in a chair for a while, and ate real food!

His recovery is going extremely well, but there is still a long road ahead - keep the prayers and good thoughts coming!
That's awesome to hear. I'm glad he's doing better.

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking rough, but healing up :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
This is Christina, typing for Karl, he wanted me to give y'all an update due to he is not able to...

Today I walked roughly 25 ft down the hall with a walker on my own. Made a lot of progress today. Doing my best to stay positive and working hard to recover fast. Lots of motivation is coming from all of the wonder thought and prayers from my wheeling family. Thank you Darcy for posting this thread and Toiboy for already motivating me to get the next truck going. No details as of yet as to the new truck but dreaming of wheeling again. Cant wait to be on the trails with my off roading friends and family again. Thank you for the support, it means a lot to me!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Get after it Karl!

If there is anything you, or Christina need, let us know!

Also let us know what you decide to do about a truck once recovered, I bet we can scrounge some parts for ya to get you going again on the trails!

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the update C ... Having fun being his secretary? ;).

We are just one of the many families y'all have that you can count on .. Hope to see y'all soon :)

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
keep healing! don't try to do too much too soon ;)

chris

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for not updating this sooner!

on 3/4 Karl was moved to a rehab center and out of the hospital!

Christina via Facebook said:
Today is a big day for Karl, he will be moving to Brooks Rehab (not sure what time) for a few weeks. He has been doing really good! This morning he walked down the hall and around the nurses station and back! He was very excited. I know he is happy to be getting out of the hospital and moving towards his next step to coming home. Thank you for all of the thoughts and prayers!!!, it has given him so much motivation!

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and yesterday was a big day for the Burghart family!

Christina via facebook said:
Had a great day! Karl was approved for a pass to leave Brooks for a few hours to spend time with the family and see the twins. We also saw Mollie take her first steps!! I asked her to wait for her daddy, and she did!! God is good! We're so blessed!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have been discharged from inpatient therapy at the rehab center to outpatient therapy which is nice to be home with my wife and kids and see them everyday, I can't interact with them much at all but at least I can see their smiles and lay in bed with them at night! :D my back and left shoulder are the largest pain attributes currently but considering the situation I am happy to deal with those aches! I still have this darn C-collar on and required to remain on 24-7 for another 70ish days, yesterday the neurologist removed the stitches from my head, I can not thank everyone enough for the support and prayers sent my way, it means so much to me having this much support!

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I have been discharged from inpatient therapy at the rehab center to outpatient therapy which is nice to be home with my wife and kids and see them everyday, I can't interact with them much at all but at least I can see their smiles and lay in bed with them at night! :D my back and left shoulder are the largest pain attributes currently but considering the situation I am happy to deal with those aches! I still have this darn C-collar on and required to remain on 24-7 for another 70ish days, yesterday the neurologist removed the stitches from my head, I can not thank everyone enough for the support and prayers sent my way, it means so much to me having this much support!
Awesome to hear you're back home with the kiddos. That's probably a good feeling!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts