TTORA Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks!

I actually have one of those external speakers, but I haven't figured out where to mount it. I looked nice and small in the store, but huge in the cab...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Crossmember is welded in, bumper frame cut, hitch reciever tube welded into the main peice, tacked together.

Now comes the fun part of making a couple of legs and attaching it square, leveled and centered....

·
20,355 Posts
Mikes garage has been busy between his bumper my taco and chris building sliders.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got the reciever tube braced and end caps installed:

As it sits now:

And got new shoes!! :D

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Looks great! Still thinking about how I want my rear bumper on Zilla. Is this new bumper on the Runner now? If so, post up some pics of the final product. I expect to end up with something similar on my '85 - the one you saw at Doug's.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks John! Yeah, it's on the Runner now, I just realized last night I never posted final pictures.

Here's the leg design. I put 4 across the back comming down off of the new cross member and one on each side comming off the frame.

Couple of pics from the bottom. In the long run I think I'll go back and put a small rectangle of 3/16" plate over the side of the joint in the legs for additional strength.

Tailgate up:

Tailgate down:

It's got good clearance on the tailgate. The 4Runner gate is lower than the pickup gate, so I went with the angled legs to try and maxamize clearance. For comparison, see the picutres Volcom posted of his rig farther up in the thread. His is a 4Runner too, but he's swapped in a truck tailgate.

Doug and I actually talked about this design sitting under Zilla!

Here's how it sits on my rig:

And a couple of shots from Moab for better perspecive:

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I was in too much of a hurry when I finally attached it to the rig, and I wish it was a little more level on the body rather than sloping away to the back. I've also decided that those outside corners need to be turned in to 45* angles, but I need to determine exactly where the tire carrier is going to sit before doing that.

·
7,735 Posts
I'm not sure if you noted it above or not, but it should be said that you built the bumper keeping in mind and trying to plan for a future tire carrier. That's why it sits so far out.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Looks solid! Did you drag the hell out of it and give it a good test in Moab? Every time I go there my back bumper on the D-cab gets some heavy abuse. :D Thanks for the pics! I think I'll 45 the corners when the time comes but the rest looks good and stout to me!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks! Yeah, it drags more than would be ideal, but I think re-working my rear suspension will help that a bit. After putting that bumper on and hauling camping gear out to Moab my rear springs are sagged out again.

I just scraped it on Fin's and Hell's, but I dug it in hard trying to get up Z-turn on Moab Rim.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
:bump: for updates on the build. What is the status of your build on this thing now? Did you ever beef it up to take it from :doh: to :boobies: so that I can :clap: ???

Everyone else in Colorado is building their rigs for bigger trails... You might as well do it now if you haven't already. Because you will some day anyway. ;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Alright, I'll come out of hiding for a minute.

I think its more :dunno: than :boobies: at the moment...

After about a 2 year delay, the tire carrier is installed:

I used RuffStuff's spindle and mounting plate, frame is 2x2 .120 wall. At least on the road I've got more useful visibility out the back than when I had the spare lashed to the roll bar since I can actually see out of both corners of the window now.

I also cut the bumper corners back to gain some clearance:

And I'm currently working on the rear suspension; installing 2" lift, medium load OME springs and shocks and doing a U-bolt flip with RuffStuff's plates and bolts.

·
20,355 Posts
Runner looks great in person now, with the tire carrier and rear lift on. Not as much ass dragging will be done.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
New rear suspension is installed; it's sitting 4" - 4.5" higher than it was on the old springs.

It looks a lot better now, and from driving it around town some it doesn't feel overly stiff. Looking forward to getting it out and running some trail next week! :driving:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yes it does: much less ass-dragging, supported all of my camping gear better and still seemed nice and flexy on the trail. I need to run it into the garage to see how much the springs have settled in.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts