TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter is dead, and I'd like to get a beefier aftermarket one if possible. It doesn't look like mean grean makes one for the Taco. Any options out there that are better than stock?

·
Kill Yourself!
2,091 Posts
cloomis3 said:
My starter is dead, and I'd like to get a beefier aftermarket one if possible. It doesn't look like mean grean makes one for the Taco. Any options out there that are better than stock?
Why do you want a "beefier" starter? I still have the one that came with my truck, and my truck has over 100k miles on it. My truck still starts the same as it did when I got it. :confused:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crash said:
Why do you want a "beefier" starter? I still have the one that came with my truck, and my truck has over 100k miles on it. My truck still starts the same as it did when I got it. :confused:
My truck is a '99, but it has under 60k on it, and the starter is already dead. I have a supercharger (I think that puts some more strain on the starter), and I know you're supposed to be able to crawl with the stock starter, so I figured something beefier might stand up to the abuse a little better. I just can't imagine why this one would die so fast. I just don't want to be replacing it again. Ever.

·
Registered
503 Posts
cloomis3 said:
My truck is a '99, but it has under 60k on it, and the starter is already dead. I have a supercharger (I think that puts some more strain on the starter), and I know you're supposed to be able to crawl with the stock starter, so I figured something beefier might stand up to the abuse a little better. I just can't imagine why this one would die so fast. I just don't want to be replacing it again. Ever.
That might be covered under warranty depending on whe your truck was purchased.

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
cloomis3 said:
I know you're supposed to be able to crawl with the stock starter, so I figured something beefier might stand up to the abuse a little better.
You shouldn't be doing that often enough for it to matter. Do it when you need it, not because you can.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tbplus10 said:
Dead how? For a few dollars you can put new brushes and plunger in the starter, this fixes most of the starter problems.
Tim
I'm not exactly sure how it's dead. I think I'll just find an OEM. I thought it was just dirty brushes, so I cleaned them and it worked for a while. Now it's DEAD. The solenoid works, but that's it. No turning at all. A swift smack on the back fixed it for one start. I think the windings have an intermittent gap. Anywhere in LA that'll rewind starters?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts