TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was washing my truck today and noticed some grease ozzing out of the ball joint. Is the joint blown or is it just the boot? How much is it gonna cost me to fix? :confused:

2004 v6 4x4

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:
I was washing my truck today and noticed some grease ozzing out of the ball joint. Is the joint blown or is it just the boot? How much is it gonna cost me to fix? :confused:

2004 v6 4x4
I had the same problem. wipe off grease and closly look at boot, do you see a tear/rip etc? on mine the boot pulled away some allowing the grease out.
might be able to just undo the metal wire twist thingy (yes, thats the technical term) and reseat the boot and retie the metal wire. Probably better to replace the wire with new. Dealers sell upper balljoint repair kit, think I paid like $15 ea.
If you caught it early enough doubt balljint bad. don't leave it too long. can always keep adding grease till yo can fix.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:

2004 v6 4x4

My '03 is doing the same. I noticed it shortly after I installed Donahoes. In full droop, it over extends the suspension and causes the grease to get by the boot. So far, I've driven mine about 30K miles and no problem but have a rebuild kit sitting on the bench to replace the boots if I ever get off my ass to do it. Keep an eye on your bj's and you can buy a rebuild kit for less than $20.

·
Registered
152 Posts
How do you grease 'em?..

I don't see a zerk fitting.

Can I drill and tap, and install zerks?

I have done that before on other trucks.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Smiling_Jim said:
I don't see a zerk fitting.

Can I drill and tap, and install zerks?

I have done that before on other trucks.
not on these. under a lot of full articulation wheeling they will just seep grease especially when you have the sway bar discoed and a high lift on your truck. The rebuild kits are cheap and replace the boot and grease.
If it happens too often you might consider going to Uniball uppers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Everyone with this problem, check the recall thread. I believe the recall covers this problem.

·
Registered
327 Posts
toyota is recalling 750,000 toyota P/U and SUVs for balljoint problems..take it to toyota and have em check it out..

itll be a free fix if thats the case

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
TRD SyRuP said:
toyota is recalling 750,000 toyota P/U and SUVs for balljoint problems..take it to toyota and have em check it out..

itll be a free fix if thats the case
\

wow! good to know, thanks for bringing it up.
got a link to this 'recall thread'?

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
ShowStop said:
Your truck is too old anyways, they only want 2001 and newer. Time to trade up that rust bucket. I can't talk though, my rust bucket is sitting in the driveway.
you live in socal; how can you have rust?? :p

well, maybe this year...

·
Registered
59 Posts
how do you replace the boots?

bb609 said:
My '03 is doing the same. I noticed it shortly after I installed Donahoes. In full droop, it over extends the suspension and causes the grease to get by the boot. So far, I've driven mine about 30K miles and no problem but have a rebuild kit sitting on the bench to replace the boots if I ever get off my ass to do it. Keep an eye on your bj's and you can buy a rebuild kit for less than $20.
how do you replace the boots? do you have to separate the ball joint from the upper a-arm? (or from the spindle?) if you can throw up a quick write-up, i'd appreciate it.

(edited to add: my drivers side upper ball joint was oozing a little after wheeling today. there's also some funny noise coming from that side that i think maybe related - however, everything seems to be tight, not much movement, so i'm wondering if it's just low on grease).

·
Registered
59 Posts
bump.. anyone want to post how i could replace the boots? thanks.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
bb609 said:
Believe he's looking to replace the upper ball joint boots. Got a writeup? I could use it too and also too lazy to search!
LOL reading the posts...a wonderful thing :p duh.

replacing the BJ boots follows the same procedure as replacing the BJ itself except you don't have to remove the joint from the spindle tower, just separate it from the upper control arm.
http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/allpro1inuni/allpro1inuni.htm
from Peter's site
be careful not to ding up the threads on the ball joint.

remove the old boot and wire clamp and replace with new from the kit.
torque for the big nut is 105# but do it a little at a time. use a new cotter pin.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts