TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, Gadget,

I was hoping someone could outline for me what all is involved in doing the URD fuel kit right...

I have a 2002 TRD SC Xtra Cab Taco, been saving up for and planning on this fuel upgrade for a while, but I'm confused on what I need:

What's the actual shopping list??

1. The fuel kit itself for $899
2. ?
3. ?

What all do I need to be able to tune this thing, wide MAF, bung thing, ??

If I find someone in the area that may have some of these tuning components and would be willing to help, whats the minimum that I need? Just the bung and sensor or what?

Thanks for clearing this up for me, I want to make sure I do this right..

Also, is it a BAD idea to add the smaller pulley without the water injection??

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
leon said:
Hi Folks, Gadget,

I was hoping someone could outline for me what all is involved in doing the URD fuel kit right...

I have a 2002 TRD SC Xtra Cab Taco, been saving up for and planning on this fuel upgrade for a while, but I'm confused on what I need:

2. ?
3. ?

If I find someone in the area that may have some of these tuning components and would be willing to help, whats the minimum that I need? Just the bung and sensor or what?

For your year truck you need this
http://www.urdusa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=0001&Category_Code=

scroll all the way down and it shows you everything else you need.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've always wondered what else you need too. So, you have to spend another $900 on stuff just to tune it?

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
cheez said:
I've always wondered what else you need too. So, you have to spend another $900 on stuff just to tune it?
The tuning is the most important part of all this. Would you get new tires and not an alignment even if it was pulling to the side? However you don't have to spend the 900 dollars. You can always rent an OBDII reader for closed loop and take it into a shop for the open loop(about $150/hour).

My SC and URD went in at the same time, so I can compare to one without a fuel mod, but the pre-programmed maps were good enough for moderate driving styles. If you constantly make it go WOT you should get a good open loop cal.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
leon said:
Hi Folks, Gadget,

2. ?
3. ?

Well, the minimum you need for someone else to tune it is a bung and plug. I think one comes with the kit, but I got the stainless steel one. It will hold up better in the long run and can be removed easier after all the stress strain caused by heating.

As for the smaller pulley, as long as you get a good cal, you should be fine, but I would either be conservative with the pedal and get an EGT sensor, or get the WI. I currently have the 2.2" pulley on without the WI (waiting on some parts) and don’t have a pinging problem(only closed loop cal-ed), but I also don’t step on it at every corner. I will eventually get an EGT sensor to keep an eye on those temps.

For the installation all you need is the kit. No bung, no OBDII reader, and no wide band O2 sensor. From what I’ve read the kit even without tuning(pre-programmed only) is better than no fuel mod.

Edit:
I forgot to add for tuning yourself what you need is the:

1)bung welded on and plug(for after you done tuning)
2)OBDII reader
3)wide band O2 sensor like one of the ones sold by URD
Hope this helps

·
Registered
104 Posts
I to have been watching from the benched, not wanting to sound dumb, good info and product Gadget Thanks

·
609 Posts
Get it installed and put a line out for some help tuning. I did a guy here in Wisconsin who lives in Co. over the winters and he may be able to help you. I will pass through in March and can help you then if you haven't tuned it already.

·
Registered
878 Posts
there are several of us in Colorado that can lend some knowledge regarding fuel mods and so on...
I don't know if you posted on the CoTTORA board about this or not but if you haven't
head over to the Colorado board you can find a number of willing helpers and resources in Colorado!!

www.cottora.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts