TTORA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few facts and a thank you.

Met with Gadget yesterday. Thanks to his wideband tuning, the 01, 3.4 Tacoma runs even better. Actually, the original map he had loaded in the FTC when I bought the kit was very close. It is much better today, but in my case I could have lived quite safely on the original map. Got some advice about plug gaps that someone my age should not have to be reminded of. You can bet I am out to find a proper wire gauge. I mention the wide-band tune because you see comments about the need to fine tune the map. Yes, it is better, but I wouldn't let the lack of the sensors or the lack of experience put me off of the URD kit. It shows up on your doorstep pretty bloody close.

Nice to work with someone so utterly professional. I drive, he worked. Makes you feel bad. Until you start the truck in the morning and it is just so sweet.

Thanks for the help Gadget. Good luck on the twin turbo kit for the new 4 liter motor. It is almost enough to make me think about giving up my 01 Taco. Nah. Well, maybe.

Vince

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 01 3.4 DCab with the TRD charger and I was thinking of doing the URD upgrade. I bought the truck used and the pervious owner seemed to have done some work to it already. From the surface it looks like he upgraded the injectors and the exhaust already but whats all been done I do not know and my main concern is the fuel management. I can not find a place that will help tune the truck if I go with the URD upgrade because well I live in Canada, even though Calgary is a pretty big city.

Now the truck runs good and the gauge reads about 7 PSI when I floor it but it doesn't feel like 7 PSI of boost. Myabe because I am normanlly a car owner and a motor bike rider that I am used to feeling the speed more. Plus I think because of the cold and altitude at which I live the gauge reads the absolute PSI so chances are the SC is only pushing out like 4 PSI even though the gauge reads 7. My question is how tough would it be to tune and get the mapping done with the URD? I highly doubt that the default mapping is even going to be close so I am going to have to tune it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was a little hesitant about the tuning, but it looks pretty straightforward after looking at the U-Tune guide.

I just bought a TRD SC, but I won't put it on until the fuel kit arrives.

I went nuts and got the fuel kit, plus the LM-1 sensor unit for open loop tuning, and one of the OBD readers from obddiagnostics for the closed loop tuning.
I already have a laptop, though if you don't have one, find a friend who does, or buy a cheap one which has a serial port.

Now I need to get the valve body mod done first so I don't blow up the tranny :)

-Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts