TTORA Forum banner

Urd Shifter Broken In Traffic

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Wainiha 
#1 · (Edited)
Urd Shifter Broken In Traffic CHANGED TO STOCK SHIFTER BROKEN IN TRAFIC

Photography Monochrome Metal Still life photography Black-and-white
URD PLEASE HELP.....Short Throw Shifter has only been in 18 months. It's gonna cost $530 right now just to get the truck rolling again.

What’s the URD Warrantee?

At the moment I'm off to take pictures at the toyo Stealership of my busted shifter. I want to see what this guy on the phone says is broken. I'm bringing my camera and will post the pictures here later on.

www.halftunnphotography.phanfare.com/album/583797

I was taking off from a stoplight doing 10 mph and shifting into 2nd when POP! The stick went limp in my hand. I first thought it broke off in my hand. I quickly realized I had nothing and luckily rolled into the parking lot of a gas station near the inter-section. It was St. Patrick’s Day after 10pm. To make a long story shorter.... I wound up waiting for 2 plus hours drinking Guinness by myself as I celebrated St. Pat’s day alone...FUN!

UPDATE3-21-08 I told my Toyota Dealership to Kiss my ass because they were trying to sell me the whole assembly when all I needed was the Lever piece. But they friggin charged me an hours labor (94 BUCKS!!! ) just to take the damn thing out...when any dumbass could have taken a shifter out in 10 minutes! Talked to Gadget @ URD.....They're sending me a new URD Short Throw for NOTHING and Newburgh Toyota gets the finger from me. Gadget sent me to another Toyota parts guy who didn't try to take me...and gave me a nice break too. The shifter should be here tomorrow. Then I get to put it in, in Toyota's Parking Lot and drive away

See less See more
#3 ·
Did the shims pop out of the extension or did the extension itself come off? Are the set screws still in place as they were when they were staked during assembly?

Not quite sure why the repair cost is so high. If it's just the URD piece that broke, the whole assembly (extension, spacer plate, and longer bolts) can be removed to return the truck to stock. Is that not possible or is this the price the dealer is quoting?

Please post pics when you can. I'm running the same short-throw but haven't had any issues to date.

#6 ·
Haha yeah the dealership guy on the phone was making it sound like a bomb went off and it was a total disaster. I knew he was full of it. Thats when i said I'll be right there. The shim did fall in...the guy in the phone said the shifter "shattered" into the tranny...HAHA!

#4 ·
the stock shifters have been known to come apart. It's a two piece design and the rubber that holds the two pieces together tears leaving you with a floppy shaft in your hand, kinda like when you drink too much whiskey. Although the URD shifter holds together, some say the extra leverage from the short shifter causes the stock rubber to fail. Gadget came up with a preventative fix, all you have to do is drill a 1/4" hole through the shifter at the rubber piece and squirt it full of some type of glue, I forget what he says to use, but I guess liquid nails or something that hardens will work. As far as the dealership bill, go take your short shifter out and it will be covered under warranty.

Oh and call Gadget or Brian, they'll help you out if their shit failed, but I bet it was the stock antivibration doohickey.

#9 ·
No rubber tore. The new stage (pictured on my site) has the bolts runnig through so it's not possible for the two pieces to come apart. This be a different design for what you were saying Gadget was talking about.

#7 ·
Just checked out the pictures on the other site linked above. It was the stock parts that failed, but the failure was at the ball at the bottom of the shifter and not where the two-piece joint is.

Really strange, but it does appear that it was due, at least in part, to the extra leverage provided by the URD kit. Could have been a Toyota manufacturing defect that was exacerbated by the short-throw kit.

I'm not sure how this could go. The stock part failed but the dealer will say it was caused by the URD kit. The URD kit appears to be in fine shape and could probably be re-used if you can get the set screws out, so it's really not a URD issue. Let us know if either company steps up on this one!

#8 · (Edited)
Exactly - I already know that Toyota is not going to pay for shit. They said it already. It was funny cause they already ordered the TRD shifter thinking thats what I had. They never saw a set up like this before.

We cancelled the TRD order...I want the stock part so I can run the same set up. I wasn't going ot sink 500 for a different set up when I liked the URD addition better.

I do feel slighted here. I want to blame both companies. URD has been grea tin the past to people...they've alwasy given me help and info when I needed. The two major facts are that the stock ball would not have broken if the URD wasn't installed. But yes I know that URD's stuff held up. My thinking it's a combination of the added leverage put on the stock ball and that URD's Steel is stronger...sort of how a diamond cuts glass

#10 ·
I see. Hmm, first one I've seen break there. It's the same shifter as mine though, slide the boot up the shaft and you'll see where the rubber doohickey is. I'd still call urd and whine about it, maybe they'll give you a freebie of some sort. Plus if nobody complains they'll never know it's a problem. Small companies like that rely on customer feedback a lot.

#18 ·
Bringing this back from the dead. Back in May mine broke in the same place after about the same amount of time (18 months) in the truck. No problems with the set screws on mine. I haven't put it back in with the new shifter though. I guess I drive shit too hard, so I'll probably leave it out.

The URD piece is definitely stout though. This short shift adapter used to be TacoSupreme's truck, so there's really no question to the strength of Urd's product.

#19 ·
NOVEMBER 2021 update: Still have the same truck with the same URD stort throw..... after all the BS trying to figure out what originally went wrong I had the stock ball rewelded on 11 years ago!, put the URD shims and short throw in. It been holding ever since.

Reactions: ShowStop
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.