TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my JBA headers, short throw shift kit and lightweight crankshaft pulley from URD today and am thoroughly impressed.

The shift kit really cleaned up the shifting and the install was very straight forward and took all of 20 mins. I would recommend this to anyone with a manual tranny.

The crankshaft pulley was also a very straight forward install but took a little longer getting the stock one off. Basically it went something like this. 1. Take out radiator, fan and shroud, and belts. 2. ATTEMPT to remove crankshaft bolt, and fail. 3. Stand around for a while and think about how to get it off. 4. Run breaker bar across driver side frame rail and crank engine - and bend ratchet. 5. Repeat step 4 with new ratchet - and snap ratchet. 6. Stand around a while longer. 7. Repeat step 4 with bigger ratchet - and finally succeed.

The pulley definately made a much bigger difference than I expected it to. The truck pulls harder and faster and from what I can tell so far, seems to be getting better gas mileage as well.

JBA will be using my truck to get some dyno charts up on their site so I'm still waiting to here back from them as to when that will be...so they'll be doing the headers when we get a date set.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Only notice when accelerating at lower rpms. Not worth 200 bucks or whatever. I think there was a big thread on this. Probably much more usefull on a S/C motor.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
did you use a new crank shaft bolt?

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no

·
Registered
5,124 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
okay, what kind of belt is it? and would a different length belt be neccesary?
From the urdusa.com website it says the pulley is the stock size just weighs alot less. Hey YotaRacer any vibrations or anything- I know that the stock crank pulley also acts as a harmonizing balancer, does this affect us in the S/C class. Very interested in trying out this pulley now. I also have the URD short throw and what a difference. I gotta hear how those headers help you out also man. Throw up a vid of the exhaust once the headers are done man.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
From the urdusa.com website it says the pulley is the stock size just weighs alot less. Hey YotaRacer any vibrations or anything- I know that the stock crank pulley also acts as a harmonizing balancer, does this affect us in the S/C class. Very interested in trying out this pulley now. I also have the URD short throw and what a difference. I gotta hear how those headers help you out also man. Throw up a vid of the exhaust once the headers are done man.
the stock pulley does not act as a harmonizing balancer on the 5vz, no new vibrations...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thought the 5vz was internally balanced and the 2rz and 3rz are harmonically balanced and thats why URD didnt make pulleys for them.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
the stock pulley does not act as a harmonizing balancer on the 5vz, no new vibrations...
Ahhhhhh shit! Now I have to get one. Goddamit you guys are breaking my bank.:D :D :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Haha dont feel bad. Its on my list to buy and i dont even own a tacoma anymore. Yet lol.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Too bad a heavier crank and flywheel is better for luggin around the motor on the trails (i.e. less stalling)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yah my next tacoma is going to be probably an S though. I dont off-road anymore and i would prefer the gas mileage while im in school lol.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Too bad a heavier crank and flywheel is better for luggin around the motor on the trails (i.e. less stalling)
That sucks, because I do tend to lug and still stall everyonce in awhile, while offroading. I expect with the lightweight crank pulley that I will stall even more but worth it for the power, mpg, and the pretty red color.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
mgyver1
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing