TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a URD 2.7L supercharger installed? Do you like it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the TRD on the 2.7 and I like it, but I am experiencing some bad pinging and was just about to ask why?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Alpine made the 2.4/2.7 superchargers for TRD. TRD does not carry them any more. We now have the same supercharger for sale through URD.

If you like we can bundle it with our own engine calibrator box and fuel system upgrade and you can add the URD high boost pulley if you want.

The calibrator box can be used to tune out the boost induced spark knock if you have that problem.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gadget,

I'm waiting on a price from Brian on the 2.7 supercharger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm trying to think of where I read this but I remember reading that a lot of people with the 2.7L TRD Supercharger saying that they did not see any performance gains and some even took them off and returned them. If I remember right Alpine made two superchargers right? One for TRD and then one that was a little different and was sold by Alpine? I'm just wondering if I heard right.

I have been looking for a Supercharger for my 2.7 glad to see UDR has one... I'll be emailing UDR shortly

Cloudy

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No performance gains? I'd be really, really, REALLY ready to freaking kill someone if I spent $2500, a weekend in the garage, and all this time doing research and didn't get at least 45 HP out of it.

By the way what happened to the TRD supercharger?

·
Registered
13 Posts
97TacoDude
From what I understand, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that TRD pulled it because it did not give the much in the way of performace gains.... that was according to the toyota parts guy I talked to at a dealership here in town.

Again someone please correct me if I'm wrong... I want to find a good supercharger

Cloudy

·
Registered
17 Posts
I guess it's all relative. In Miata's the JR supercharger was the first available and gave around 40-45 rwhp. That's been around for 10 yrs+.
Now the new wave of sc's put out more like 70-120 extra hp, so the now mild JR is considered "eh" in comparison. yet for many it is exactly the right amount of extra ummph. Different strokes.........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Toyota Tacoma 2.7L Superchargers

I have been looking for a supercharger for my truck for a long time and I have been reading your forum and I am wondering how much they cost and will you be able to have a warranty still thru Toyota if the Toyota techs install it? The 4 bangers need a lot more hp and even a blow dryer hooked up into the intake has got to help. Sometimes its embarrassing getting on the highway its so slow. I have a 2001 with 50,000 miles. Looks perfect but slow as all h---! I am contemplating trading it in and getting a 02,03 3.4 and THEN putting on the supercharger! Nobody is saying "the 2.7 supercharger is worth it"

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
i wouldnt mind getting one, its just that i dont get is why is it more expensive than the 3.4 S/C, shouldnt it be the other way around?!! :bs:

·
Registered
199 Posts
woodstockbrian said:
I have been looking for a supercharger for my truck for a long time and I have been reading your forum and I am wondering how much they cost and will you be able to have a warranty still thru Toyota if the Toyota techs install it? The 4 bangers need a lot more hp and even a blow dryer hooked up into the intake has got to help. Sometimes its embarrassing getting on the highway its so slow. I have a 2001 with 50,000 miles. Looks perfect but slow as all h---! I am contemplating trading it in and getting a 02,03 3.4 and THEN putting on the supercharger! Nobody is saying "the 2.7 supercharger is worth it"
I've had good results with mine. It's the Alpine kit, NOT the TRD kit. The TRD kit uses the same blower M62 as the V6 kit. The Alpine kit uses the M90 blower which I believe is one size larger. My kit was for the Toyota Hi-Lux and I had the first blown 2.7L in North America, as far as I know. I had to fabricate a ERG valve mount and do a lot of finish machining as they forgot to do the finish machining prior to shipment and NOTHING fit.

I can smoke a stock V6 and just about keep up with a ‘stock’ supercharged V6 in all gears doing roll-ons. I ran against a S/C V6 and we were both on 33’s but I had forgot to unlock the fronts. He walked away from me when we ran through the gears but I think I could have stayed close to him if I had remembered to unlock. I notice a big difference when unlock.

Just for a comparison, I did a roll-on with a stock 2.7L on 31’s in fifth gear. Even when he downshifted to 3rd gear, I walked a way from him. So, what you feel in 3rd is roughly what I get in 5th, if that makes sense. Also, running 33’s is no problem either on of off road. I can accelerate on moderate grades at 70+ mph.

Just for the record, I think the Alpine blower is worth it.

Hope this helps. More info here: Body Lift, 33” tires, Body Mounts, 2.7L supercharger, Header and LOTS MORE!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Supercharged 2.7L said:
I've had good results with mine. It's the Alpine kit, NOT the TRD kit. The TRD kit uses the same blower M62 as the V6 kit. The Alpine kit uses the M90 blower which I believe is one size larger. My kit was for the Toyota Hi-Lux and I had the first blown 2.7L in North America, as far as I know. I had to fabricate a ERG valve mount and do a lot of finish machining as they forgot to do the finish machining prior to shipment and NOTHING fit.

I can smoke a stock V6 and just about keep up with a ‘stock’ supercharged V6 in all gears doing roll-ons. I ran against a S/C V6 and we were both on 33’s but I had forgot to unlock the fronts. He walked away from me when we ran through the gears but I think I could have stayed close to him if I had remembered to unlock. I notice a big difference when unlock.

Just for a comparison, I did a roll-on with a stock 2.7L on 31’s in fifth gear. Even when he downshifted to 3rd gear, I walked a way from him. So, what you feel in 3rd is roughly what I get in 5th, if that makes sense. Also, running 33’s is no problem either on of off road. I can accelerate on moderate grades at 70+ mph.

Just for the record, I think the Alpine blower is worth it.

Hope this helps. More info here: Body Lift, 33” tires, Body Mounts, 2.7L supercharger, Header and LOTS MORE!

Its weird to see newbie under your name Oldie member hey Tom

·
Registered
151 Posts
ANybody have rwhp dyno numbers (mustang or dynojet inertia) showing before and after 2.7L numbers with a kit? I've thought about doing it to my truck. It is ok as is now, but 200-225HP would be nice every now and again. I've been tuning on my Cobra for a little while now, so the Taco shouldn't be too hard to tune on a dyno with the right URD tools.

·
Registered
199 Posts
tnracing132 said:
Its weird to see newbie under your name Oldie member hey Tom
Yeah! Caught me by surprise when I first saw it... But, at my age, it’s good to be new again! :rofl:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts