TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the URD Fuel upgrade kit, and would like some help for first time tuning. I've read U-Tune several times, and understand the gist, but I also know that if there's a way to blow an engine up, I'll find it. Also, if we're going to risk a ticket while flying down the highway in my truck, it should be me in the driver's seat.

I'll supply the PC, Scan tool, wide band tool, diapers, beer, etc. and can come to you anywhere in LA / Orange County. I'm situated in Orange, and am having the bung welded in Saturday morning March 17th. I can be ready for Saturday afternoon or Sunday if anyone experienced can help. I'd sure appreciate it!

·
Registered
717 Posts
you should be able to do most of the tuning without gettin any tickets. find some long grades in the area and use those to help you tune, that way you can boots wail not going too fast.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good idea, there are some long inclines I know of.

Still need a partner to drive though!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Look at www.efi101.com . They have a forum over there with lots of tuning guys. efi101 is located in So Cal, they are a performance tuning school.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The EFI101 folks are very good at standalone systems. Tuning a standalone can be very different then tuning a piggy back unit. In some cases what works perfectly on a standalone will have the oposite affect on a piggy back.

If you want the best result, tune it yourself and follow the U-Tune Guide.

Stay away from dyno shops and professional tuners unless they are experienced with our system and will follow the U-Tune Guide.

I can not tell you how many of these so called professional tuners have totally jacked up the maps on our trucks and charged the customer out the butt for it.

It never fails, about 4-5 times a week I have to email a base map to some profession tuner shop that ruined the tune for one of our customers and has no idea how to fix it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Gadget - Thanks so much for your reply. A couple questions if I may. (obviously, I didn't find anyone to help me tune this weekend...)
Sorry in advance if this is the wrong forum, etc., I'm a newbie. I can move it to custom tacos or something if needed.

Concerning the 'stock' map that came with the Fuel Upgrade Kit, I notice on Map A, it isn't a set value all the way across the board, but numbers varying from 8.8 to about 9.6. In many columns, I see the values fluctuating by several tenths instead of staying at one number. (I will save this original no matter what) Let's say my truck is running a bit rich at idle, even on the preprogrammed map. Should I go ahead and rewrite all the cells with a single number closer to the mark, as it says in the U-Tune guide and start from there, or just a few columns / cells and leave alone the numbers in cells seldom used?

After I've set my idle map / start point, I'm guessing that if I have someone drive me, the blue cursor will stick on a particular cell for only fractions of a second given that the pressure and RPM etc. are constantly changing. If I see trim adjustments needed in a given cell, can I adjust them even if the cell may have been lit for only a brief instant? Would I then adjust the whole column, or try to get an overall picture of what the column should look like first?

Once I get up into boosted sections / open loop, and I begin to get cell specific in tuning, all I'm looking for is AFR, and no longer need to worry about what the trim values are, right?

I'm also guessing that once I tune wideband / open loop, and enrich the mix for more power, I'll probably ping like crazy below 3K RPM, - Which now isn't a bad thing anymore as I can then retard timing in Map B, right?

Hope I'm making sense, I haven't really tried my hand at it yet, but I want to understand as much as I can before I do it. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you want to drive an hour or more south, I could help you out.
The base map is set to be really rich, so you might want to do some tuning before you drove it too much. After you have read the ecu and got your base map and set up your options in the R4 program. Then follow the utune guide step by step. The questions you ask could be answered much easier over the phone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kirkenhiemer said:
If you want to drive an hour or more south, I could help you out.
The base map is set to be really rich, so you might want to do some tuning before you drove it too much. After you have read the ecu and got your base map and set up your options in the R4 program. Then follow the utune guide step by step. The questions you ask could be answered much easier over the phone.
Kirkenhiemer - Thanks! I think that's just what I'll do - set it a bit leaner (it idles rich now) until I get a chance to really tune it. I don't mind driving to SD at all, I will keep your contact info. I have to drive out of town this weekend, but maybe the one after that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts