TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, I decided to change my oil on my '06 tacoma for the first time. first time changing oil for me. everything went fine until I tried to take the oil filter off. tried twisting it by hand. nope. then I heard about a trick with shoving a screwdriver through it and turning it like that.... nope. just drained the oil out of the filter is all I managed to do. so I tried gripping it with a pair of channel lock plyers and turning it. all's I managed to do was dent the filter up. so I went and got that oil filter wrench. right size and all, I had a guy at autozone check and make sure. I twisted it so hard that I broke it. so I got another one. havent broken it, yet, but I still can't get that filter off. and yes, I'm turning it counter-clockwise as looking from the bottom of the truck.any help would be GREATLY appreciated

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not sure what the problem could be.What kind of filter wrench was it?. I try to use K+N oil filters on my vehicles. They put a 1" nut on the bottom for taking the filters off.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
try using the filter wrench at the base of the filter where its more structurally sound. you just gotta keep at it. when you put it back on just get it alittle snug. you probably put it on way too tight

·
Registered
796 Posts
The oil filter from the factory on my 02 was also super tight. You are on the right track; it will never be this dificult again.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Take a belt, and loop it so the more you pull, the more it tightens.

Will ruin a good belt, but will get it off if you tank hard enough. Yank as clsoe as you can to the base. Make sure there is no oil.

When I bought my truck, the previous owner tied it on so tight. I was about to drive over there and clock him in the head. I later found out he used a wrench to tie it on.

3/8 a turn is all you need.

·
Registered
467 Posts
you stated that you have a 06 Tacoma. Do you have the 2.7L or the new V-6 that has the filter on top? If its the new V-6 that has the filter on top you should be twisting it counter-clockwise from ABOVE the filter not BELOW like you said .If that were true then you are TIGHTENING it. Not trying to embarass you , just trying to help .

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I'm turning it counter-clockwise as looking from the bottom of the truck.any help would be GREATLY appreciated
Stupid question, Counter clockwise from the bottom of the truck, The new 4.0L are upside down on the top of the engine aren't they, wouldn't it be turned counterclockwise looking down from the top?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
you stated that you have a 06 Tacoma. Do you have the 2.7L or the new V-6 that has the filter on top? If its the new V-6 that has the filter on top you should be twisting it counter-clockwise from ABOVE the filter not BELOW like you said .If that were true then you are TIGHTENING it. Not trying to embarass you , just trying to help .
LOL, you are thinking the same thing I was.

·
Registered
5 Posts
that screw driver trick works....but its extremely messy.

Ive always used the FRAM filters...take em on and off with my hands.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Big pair of channel locks to get it off. When you put the new filter on, rub some oil on the o-ring and don't over tighten it. 1/2 turn max after it stops.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts