TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well since I see everyone else with a buildup thread, I figured I'd make one too. Let me give a little info on myself though. I'm 19, heading out to Basic Training for the USAF near the end of Summer(no official date yet), and plan on building this is a nice DD/Trail rig w/ the help of my father.

Basically the truck right now has 6" Total suspension(4" Suspension & 2" Body) w/ 31" Firestone Firehawk ATXs on it. I'm going tommarrow to take the tires I bought for my dads Jeep(35" Baja Claws) and put them on my Toyota(He is going back to 33s so he can sell it). The gearing is going to suck for now(saving up for 5.29 locked 3rd).

My plans for the build are to swap in an axle from a 76-85 Toyota and use the IFS hubs to have a 58.25" Trackwidth in the front(the rear is 58.5" width). I'll swap in a 5.29 High Pinion 3rd with either a lockright or ARB(probably a lockright unless I can find an ARB cheap cheap). I'm going to rebuild the axle and gusset it and possibly, if funds allow, swap in some Longs. The rear axle is going to get a matching 5.29 3rd w/ a Lockright(or a detroit if I can find spare cash), gusseted, and disc'd.

For the actual suspension I'm going to be going with the Trail-Gear 4" IFS Eliminator Kit(upgraded to Six Shooter knuckles) for the front and for the rear I'll be using Trail-Gear 4" Rear Lift. Hydro-Assist is also coming from Trail-Gear(Hydro-Assist kit and Box w/ Pump & Rezzi from PSC). I'll have custom made drivelines in town. If I can afford it when I get to the driveline portion I'll go ahead and put dual boxes.

I haven't decided on armor yet(if I want to buy or custom build) so I'll wait and hold off on that for now.

I should have some pics tommarrow when I get back from the tire shop. I'm up for any criticism and/or comments you may have.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
You are all over the place with this man- you've got tons of money going everywhich way except where it counts.
Whats your long term goal? You running the toy axle forever?
Longs will be critical to competant rock crawler.
Hydro assist will be almost useless with just 35's (relative to longs).

If you had to choose between the 6 shooter knuckles and high pinion I think you would be better off with a crawlbox if you have an older truck.
You didn't say what year- but if you are pre Taco the crawlbox is damn cheap, relatively and way more useful than the big ass knuckles.
It would be nice to throw in the hi pinion with the gears up front and be done with that. In terms of keeping your funds in a straight line (spend money where you can always use it and save where you're going to need to upgrade) I think you'd be better off to wait on a good deal on the hi pinion/5.29 (arb?) and run the crawlbox with stock gears front and rear on the trail. If you don't go selectable up front and no way to get low gears w/out the front spinning you're not going to be terribly happy.
Before you go throwing money at Trailgear you ought to give a long hard look at FROR and Marlin. And I would recommend any arms, that make use of 1ton TRE's over the FJ80 bullshit anyday.

And well, all of this is almost useless unless you just want to build it up and beat the t-total shit out of it w/out armor.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Personally, I have yet to break a knuckle, bust steering studs, etc. I'm running stock knuckles, ARP steering studs, all pro histeer kit. PSC 1.75"x.75x6" stroke ram with their pump and resi. I check my steering studs every trip. I run FJ-80 TRE's and have never had a problem.

Put the extra cash into the crawler, I use my crawler gears much more than my front HP elocker. Having gearing choices is a huge plus! I would put 4.7's in the rear case, and stock gears in the crawl box. Or vice versa... which ever you like shifting the most.

You will be fine, IF you don't drive like an idiot.

get longfields. I'm running pig 300m inners and marlin chromo outers (27spline) and though they have yet to let me down. I know the days are numbered. Changing a birf on the trail is going to suck.

A big thing you need is protection, not necc to protect the body, but to use it as a tool when wheelin.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I made this post to help myself and so I can learn as I build. I'm new to building Toyotas. I've built Jeeps and GMs and thats about it. So this is going to be a learning experience for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts