TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems an increasing number of products are using USB ports to charge them. (GPS, Phone, Blackberry, ect...) I want to eliminate the Male Cigarette adaptor (with the female USB) and just cut and install 2 or 3 USB ports (similar to on your computer, but mounted on the console near the two Aux Cig Plugs by the 4WD shifter) that charge only, later on down the road they can be converted for the CarPC to transmit data, but for now I only want the ports that charge with out the ugly look of the male cig plug.

Does anybody make a 12v USB port that is not a cig adapter type that I could hard mount in the vehicle?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, but the only ones I've seen so far are a Canadian store brand. That said, if Canadian Tire carries them as a store brand someone else probably makes the exact same thing under a different name.

Basically, it's a small power inverter. You could mount it under the console and run a couple of USB extension cables up into your dash.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Does anybody make a 12v USB port that is not a cig adapter type that I could hard mount in the vehicle?
I’ve not found one. But I got my hub a year or so ago, they may be available now.

Years ago I put a power port in my dome light to power my hand-held GPS. Now that I use a laptop for navi work I also needed more USB ports. I mounted my USB hub on the dome light and use my dome light power port to power the hub. I no longer run a hand-held GPS while driving, I just carry it in my day pack.

BTW for just the USB keypad, mouse and GPS antenna I don’t need to power the hub.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You can always buy a cigarette ligher one and cut out the cigratte ligher portion. You will need to maintain the transformer as USB is 5v, not 12v.
I thought about that, but figured someone out there makes one that you can just cut a small rectangle in and mount.

On my GPS when I modified the adapter it caught on fire so I do not want a repeat of that!!

Yes, but the only ones I've seen so far are a Canadian store brand. That said, if Canadian Tire carries them as a store brand someone else probably makes the exact same thing under a different name.

Basically, it's a small power inverter. You could mount it under the console and run a couple of USB extension cables up into your dash.
I think that would be to big from the sounds of it... any more info or a link?

That is like $100-$200! YIKES!

Any other solutions?

·
Keyser Soze
546 Posts
Just puchase any powered USB hub, that is, any hub with an AC adapter. Then go to Radio Shack and buy a DC adapter that puts out the same voltage/amperage and has the same plug. Wire in the DC adapter and plug it in.

Ta-da! You are in business...

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I like the looks of this one, and water proof too! :D
http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=7302

"Waterproof panel mount USB A female to 24 AWG, 10" inch long wire leads
Threaded couplings and O-ring seals provide IP67 rating insuring protection against water and dust
30 micro inch gold contact plating provides reliable connections with repeated mating cycles
Rugged molded backshells insure durability
Wire leads can be attached directly to a PCB or used with connector of choice"

Now you just need the part that makes it work...:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts