TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95.5 xcab 2.7 4x4 Manual hubs 5 speed non-trd taco, running SAW's(with no problems) Deaver aal's and bil 5100's . I have the 3.58 gears and currently run 31 10.50 procomp at's. I have been wishing for a long time now that I had 4.10's or 4.30's.

I found a salvage 4x4 place near where I live here in Montana that has a front diff and a rear third for sale with 4.10 gears. It is out of a 96 non-trd taco.

Now that x-mas is here I may be able to gather up the money to make the purchase. Of course there is a core charge so it will be a lot more expensive if I want to keep my current diffs with the 3.58's.

What should a person look for when purchasing used diffs for the Taco. I want to make sure if and when I make the purchase that I dont end up having to replace everything for new beacuse of a problem with the used diffs.

Thanks,
Brendan Missoula Montana

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
It's hard to tell just by looking at them, if they are even pulled. Milage may be some indicator, but not much. There just isn't any real good way to tell without taking them to a shop and having them check them, but for that price you might as well have install new gears and a rebuild kit. If you knew the person it might be a better indicator.. Just visualy if there are any nicks or wear marks on the gear teeth, dirt and grime in it, large amounts of metal on the fill plug.. etc, I"d move on.. The hardest part to tell would be any of the bearings or if the gears have any play, you can't realy tell with out taking it apart. If it's cheap enough and visualy it passes, it might be OK, but..

I pulled my rear 3rd this last Sunday, it looks brand new still at 120,000 miles, even still has some of the patern paint on the the gear teeth.. (!!!), all the edges looked sharp, etc.. I could not tell one thing about the condtion of it.. but I do know it has 120,000 miles on it..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I just got off the phone with the place and they have an inhouse shop and the mechanic said he inspects all of the diffs and makes sure they are to factory spec. They have a front diff for $350.00 with xchange that comes with a 90 day warranty and for $52 I can get a year warranty. The rear third is $300.00 with xchange with 90 day warranty and $45 to extend the warranty for a year.

They charge 200.00 for a diff for a gear change if I wanted to put all new R&P in. The mechanic did say he would charge me 300.00 for both but I dont count on that quote to be honored, but who knows.

I figure I now need to price out gears for front and rear(precision I am thinking) and master install sets and compare used total cost vs. going all new.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Jesus 750 bucks for stock 3rd members seems like a lot of money. I only payed 600 for my 4.88 gears and master install kits for my truck and another 400 for install but i've seen 4.10 3rds on here go for less than 200 a piece.

·
Registered
121 Posts
ive got a 4.10 entire front diff (99). and a set of 4.10 front gears (01)(50k)
also 4.10 trd rear gears but they wont do you much good. they have 90k on them (front diff and trd gears) but like the other guy said they are perfect.

let me know if your interested

Justin

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
brendog84cj8 said:
I have a 95.5 xcab 2.7 4x4 Manual hubs 5 speed non-trd taco, running SAW's(with no problems) Deaver aal's and bil 5100's . I have the 3.58 gears and currently run 31 10.50 procomp at's. I have been wishing for a long time now that I had 4.10's or 4.30's.

I found a salvage 4x4 place near where I live here in Montana that has a front diff and a rear third for sale with 4.10 gears. It is out of a 96 non-trd taco.

Now that x-mas is here I may be able to gather up the money to make the purchase. Of course there is a core charge so it will be a lot more expensive if I want to keep my current diffs with the 3.58's.

What should a person look for when purchasing used diffs for the Taco. I want to make sure if and when I make the purchase that I dont end up having to replace everything for new beacuse of a problem with the used diffs.

Thanks,
Brendan Missoula Montana
hold out for some 4.30s for your set up. 4.30s are standard now (since '00)for the 2.7 5-sp with 31" tires. 4.10s will be "better" but they were designed for the 2.7 running 235 size tires (29").

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the response.

As for now I am not convinced that the price on the used gears is a good deal. I know I can probably pick up diffs here on the board for a better deal but I guess shipping may make or break the deal.

good point about the 4.30 gears, I have also been wondering if that would be a better choice. questions I have regarding 4.30's: If I was to consider getting these I would assume that diffs from 00' and up tacos(non trd) would drop right in my 95.5? Also if I wanted to go the route of new gear sets(4.30's) when trying to get them ordered would I have to tell part vendors that I needed them for a 00' and up taco as not to confuse them by asking for 4.30's for a 95.5 when they were not available? Also what gear companies make or dont make 4.30s for the non trd taco?

Also just cerious to know if all the 5 speed trannys from 95.5 on up all have the same gearing? Say I find diffs from a 00 taco with 4.30s and if it had the 5 speed would that 5 speed have the same gearing as the 5 speed in my 95.5?

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it!!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,405 Posts
Thats alot of money for gears. When I changed my gears from 3.58s to 4.10s, I bought the gears on the board for $125. Then bought $150 in parts to do the install, and paid my buddy $50 to do the work. Except for the labor, you could easy do the same with the gears and the parts. I saw somebody offering 4.10 gears for $50 about 2-3 weeks ago. Wait until another offer comes up.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
ShowStop said:
Thats alot of money for gears. When I changed my gears from 3.58s to 4.10s, I bought the gears on the board for $125. Then bought $150 in parts to do the install, and paid my buddy $50 to do the work. Except for the labor, you could easy do the same with the gears and the parts. I saw somebody offering 4.10 gears for $50 about 2-3 weeks ago. Wait until another offer comes up.
gear prices went way up this last year and PGs are even higher. They may come back down when steel prices level out or drop.

going with 4.10s,31s and the 2.7 is a big waste of time, IMO, at least get some used 4.30s for that size tire.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hytenor said:
gear prices went way up this last year and PGs are even higher. They may come back down when steel prices level out or drop.

going with 4.10s,31s and the 2.7 is a big waste of time, IMO, at least get some used 4.30s for that size tire.

good point about the 4.30 gears, I have also been wondering if that would be a better choice. questions I have regarding 4.30's: If I was to consider getting these I would assume that diffs from 00' and up tacos(non trd) would drop right in my 95.5? Also if I wanted to go the route of new gear sets(4.30's) when trying to get them ordered would I have to tell part vendors that I needed them for a 00' and up taco as not to confuse them by asking for 4.30's for a 95.5 when they were not available? Also what gear companies make or dont make 4.30s for the non trd taco?

Also just cerious to know if all the 5 speed trannys from 95.5 on up all have the same gearing? Say I find diffs from a 00 taco with 4.30s and if it had the 5 speed would that 5 speed have the same gearing as the 5 speed in my 95.5?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
brendog84cj8 said:
good point about the 4.30 gears, I have also been wondering if that would be a better choice. questions I have regarding 4.30's: If I was to consider getting these I would assume that diffs from 00' and up tacos(non trd) would drop right in my 95.5?
Yes but make sure the front diff matches your hubs, either manual hubs or ADD.

Also if I wanted to go the route of new gear sets(4.30's) when trying to get them ordered would I have to tell part vendors that I needed them for a 00' and up taco as not to confuse them by asking for 4.30's for a 95.5 when they were not available? Also what gear companies make or dont make 4.30s for the non trd taco?
call PORC and ask for Alex. mention ttora and Pirate 4x4. he will be able to fix you up. The 4.30s are available for your truck w/o swapping rear 3rd members or front diffs.

the trannys should be the same for each engine. the v6 5-sp is different than the 2.7 5-sp but the gearing for each of them should be the same.

·
Registered
56 Posts
brendog84cj8 said:

Thanks,
Brendan Missoula Montana
Go with the 4.30 with 31" tires. You'll like it very much.. I have an 95 s/c 2.7 . I recently went from 3.58 to 4.30. I got my fifth gear back with about 20mpg. bought used gears from a member. As long its from a non trd it will fit. Mine were out of a 2000. The only problem I came across was that my carrier case with the 3.58 could not be used with the 4.30 due pinion angle was different. I had to install a case that originally had 4.10s to work. I confirmed it with a few other gear shops. Your speedo will be atleast 10mph off.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
OBATDDSD said:
Go with the 4.30 with 31" tires. You'll like it very much.. I have an 95 s/c 2.7 . I recently went from 3.58 to 4.30. I got my fifth gear back with about 20mpg. bought used gears from a member. As long its from a non trd it will fit. Mine were out of a 2000. The only problem I came across was that my carrier case with the 3.58 could not be used with the 4.30 due pinion angle was different. I had to install a case that originally had 4.10s to work. I confirmed it with a few other gear shops. Your speedo will be atleast 10mph off.
which carrier, front or rear? there should not have been a problem with your old carrier. we have been getting bogus info from several gear shops that don't do Taco gears on a regular basis trying to say this and its not true.

·
Registered
56 Posts
hytenor said:
which carrier, front or rear? there should not have been a problem with your old carrier. we have been getting bogus info from several gear shops that don't do Taco gears on a regular basis trying to say this and its not true.
for the front and rear. I just had the rear done a few months ago. I had a spare carrier out of a tacoma that originally had 4.10s. They couldn't charge me for that. Haven't done the front yet.. waiting to buy a front locker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts