TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I was told about this site by a friend of mine who's been into Tacomas for a while now. I jumped on here to take a look and was surprised by the information you guys have on here.

I had a Jeep CJ for five years through high school and the first part of college, but I ended up selling it and buying a '98 tacoma 2.7L 4x4 with a 5spd. I must say I love the truck, but have got to the point where I would like to modify it a bit for better performance. When I had the Jeep, I knew that rig up and down and what I always wanted to do to it...But getting into college away from home, I sort of lost the bug for offroading and building rigs. And now trying to get back into the swing of things with a whole new rig, and one this new I might add, has been a bit confusing.

Right now my Yota is stock except for a K&N filter, 31x10.5 tires, and a slight lift/leveling kit (2.5" front, 1.25" add-a-leaf rear). I use the truck for extended freeway driving and the occasional romp offroad, but nothing near extreme wheeling.

I'll be cruising the threads every now and again lookin for info. But for anyone who's curious, what I pretty much know I want to do is change the gearing (probably down to somewhere around 4.10s to 4.30s), add a traction device in the rear diff, something with the intake system (don't know what exactly yet), header, exhaust system, and maybe a different cam.

So for anyone who has done work with a 2.7L 4x4 and has any information/opinion on good modifications and their results, I would greatly appreciate the input. Thanks for the time and provided such a vast array of information, especially for us new to Toyota performance.

Sam

·
Registered
947 Posts
SammyJT3 said:
I had a Jeep CJ for five years through high school and the first part of college, but I ended up selling it and buying a '98 tacoma 2.7L 4x4 with a 5spd.
Well, looks like your education paid off with that choice ;) Just joking. Jeeps are cool. Anyway, welcome to TTORA and just keep searching.. You will find everything you need. You can convert to a solid axle, but other than that, its not easy to get any more than the 2.5 you already have. There are better options for that 2.5 however. Coilovers are a good choice, and a new set of rear leafs. You can search both of those options. Of course gears, lockers, and all of that are good options too. Dont forget to check the FAQ above. It has good info in there on tons of different stuff. I dig the engine stock. It does what I need. There are a few things you can do, but nothing that will increase power too much other than a supercharger. They are not cheap either. Good luck..

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Welcome. Just forget performance mods on the 2.7 save the money for other things. The mods just cost to much for the little to no payout you get from them. YOu can get a flowmaster or other muffler for the sound they will give you. You can get a header once your manifold cracks if it ever does. But you will get better results from gears and protection than you will get from performance mods.

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
Welcome to TTORA! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts