TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I use a smaller 30 inch, 31 inch or 33 inch tire that I could stow under my tacoma as a spare for 35's. If I had a flat would it be better to the smaller tire on the front or rear. Front might effect steering, but on rear it might put strain and wear on differentials.

The reason for stowing under the truck is to be able to put camper on top,

Ideal would be to put 35's under, any info or links on how to do that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not sure it would have a real affect if just used for a few miles to get to a tire shop, I know with my locrite lockers though I cannot use different sizes.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
always replace the tire in the front if its smaller, that way you can control how the truck turns. i'd recommend at least a 31," 33-35" if you can fit it in your spare mount area like AlexXx said.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Always been told that the spare tire should be the same as others because if by chance you get to use the H4 or L4 with a different tire size, you could damage the transfer.

Is something like that if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wont affect the Tcase. It will make the spiders turn more than they were really designed to do if you have an open diff. If you have a locker in the rear, I definately wouldnt put a smaller tire on there. If you have a flat in the rear with a locker, move a front tire back to the rear and put the smaller tire on the front. Make sure you have your hubs unlocked.

I would try to run a spare the same size as the tires I run just to keep from having any issues.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Never run different sized spare in rear and never in front in 4wd. Your diff gears will want to turn at a different rate of speed due to different tire radius and may cause diff to bind up.

If you can't fit it under bed... Cut existing "claws" (or whatever they are called) off spare mount, add extensions then weld claws back on. Or make your own claws.

I fit 33's under my bed

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I remember putting a 31 spare on the rear of a lock right taco with 33s

The lock right would click going straight and not in corners haha (only drove for a couple of miles).

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Money spent on a proper sized spare would be cheaper than broken gears:2cents:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Air up the small tire firmly. Air down the larger tire alot. Measure from the ground to the top of the tread on each. Should be close. That should get you close to the same difference the diff sees.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Air up the small tire firmly. Air down the larger tire alot. Measure from the ground to the top of the tread on each. Should be close. That should get you close to the same difference the diff sees.
That's a good tip(steering and high speeds would suck though).

Such a simple ideas often get overlooked. Should be in Cheap Tricks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That's a good tip(steering and high speeds would suck though).

Such a simple ideas often get overlooked. Should be in Cheap Tricks.
I'm calling :bs: on that. Just because you change the distance from the ground to the top of the tire doesn't mean changed the rolling circumference or revolutions per mile. Not to mention driving aired down tires on the road is a good way to have a blow out. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
It sounded good after I a had a few drinks.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts