TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.uteltd.com/

Hey I don't know if anyone has seen or heard of these before but they look pretty sweet. I emailed them about a Tacoma application and got:

We do have a Ute Bed for your Toy. Suspension travel will not be an issue. You can also put the fenders/mud flaps as far forward and back as you wish. They just bolt to the underside of the deck. Our Ute Bed for your truck weighs about 250 lbs, installed. The current price is $1900, plus freight from Seattle, WA. If you are installing this bed your self, you will also need marker lights and tail lights. We can add on that kit for about $180.

Let me know if you are still interested and I can get you a freight quote. We have these in stock, so we can ship within 24 hours of receiving your funds.

I am calling BS on the Suspension travel will not be an issue. What are your thoughts?

If you click the link in my sig it will give you some sort of an idea why I would be concerned putting that bed on my truck.

·
7,735 Posts
Meh, I don't see anything wrong with your bed. I kinda like the crumpled look. Tells me you actually use your shit. :D

as for that bed. Personal preference I guess. I don't care for the look. and $1900 + freight?!? I'd look into a local fabricator and a tube bed if it were me. But.. that's just my opinion

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was gonna just have a flatbed made but it was going to be about that much anyway to have a bed made that can still actually hold shit. I use my truck to haul lots of camping equipment and the occasional obscenely large load from Lowe's. I really like the fold down side feature on it, makes it easier to load/unload.

Yeah beds like that are really personal preference, I think the handiness of it totally outweighs any bad looks it may have. But as far as putting it on my rig, I was really concerned about two things: smashing the piss out of the aluminum bed on something, and tearing it off when my rear flexes all the way.

If I do have a flatbed made I would like to do something in kind of that design, with sides on it that are maybe removeable or fold down, except I am thinking I might have to have fender wells (at least small ones) made to let the tire stuff during flexing.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I'm not sure if it helps or not but I thought I would give you some pictures for reference on the suspension travel thing. My tires are 37" MTRs, and they stuff approximately 3-4" above the bed surface, and the bed surface is 2" above the top of the frame. So about 6" total above the frame. Obviously your frame, suspension and bed would be different, but I thought this might help you visualize with something a little closer to those beds than the factory ones.

Do you have a picture of the actual bed you would be getting? Maybe some dimensions?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
BTW, I was able to make my bed with minimal fab skills, a welder, grinder, and cutting torch. Those pics are the rough stage before I finished out the rails. Now it's enclosed and has a swing-out tailgate and tire carrier. One of these days I'm going to finish it completely with some panels. But for now it's a tube bed that hauls things just fine. It only cost me around $300 in steel total. So that's plenty leftover to buy a welder and whatever else you may need if you don't have that stuff already.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a picture of the actual bed you would be getting? Maybe some dimensions?
Na they didn't give any info about it, just what was in italics on the OP. FWIW, I don't actually plan on getting that bed, but it did put a few thoughts in my head about the utility of something like that. If I did put it on there I'm sure it would have to be modified to work with my truck, ie. fenderwells fabbed into it or having the deck raised 6" or so to let the rear tires flex completely since I have 37" tires on mine as well.

I think I'd be better off just having one made in kind of that style, made with steel tube and diamondplate to slide along rocks and trees without getting FUBAR. The added weight of a bed like that would probably improve the ride it has in the rear now. It's really stiff in the rear atm without sandbags or anything.

Ah, and I'm kinda shit out of luck on building anything myself, my hands don't work so good anymore after I got them shot up in Iraq.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Meh, I don't see anything wrong with your bed. I kinda like the crumpled look. Tells me you actually use your shit. :D
LOL, thanks. I want it to look somewhat nice though since it's a DD for now. I've already replaced the hood, fenders, grille, mirrors, and door handles. After the body damage behind the doors is fixed I want to paint it desert tan with black trim, kind of like a military Humvee.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Kyle, can't you ever "Stay the Trail"?? :D

I'd be interested in seeing some build specs as well... I might could figure out something in steel that's way less than $1900 f'n dollars and without an additional light kit for $180. For the low-low price of $2080 (plus shipping=arm+leg) you'd get a fancy aluminum flatbed? F me running; I need to learn to fab me some aluminum quick! Are you 100% dead-set on aluminum? Just curious...

If you can get some rough ideas/measurements/sketches we should be able to whip up something that'd work for your rig. If you go with steel I'd like to help as soon as I get another gas bottle; maybe this month or January.

>>Dan

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I've been thinking about this and the main hang-up might be hinges... but that could be an easy fix: small diameter round-tube and some solid stock for hinge pins; unless there's some ready-made hinges I don't know about?
I'm kinda thinking about doing some drop-sides for my flatbed when it goes under the torch this winter; really want to add under-bed storage B-A-D!

>>Dan

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you 100% dead-set on aluminum? Just curious...
Nah I didn't want the aluminum bed I would just like to have the utility of something like that but in a more durable steel design that's more appropriate for a truck like mine. I definately want to do a flatbed because the bed that's on it is messed up and not really worth fixing, as it's probably just going to get smashed again. I want a flatbed that's pretty bomb proof, but something that has some sides to it, like removable ones or something so I can still haul a lot of gear and whatnot.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can get some rough ideas/measurements/sketches we should be able to whip up something that'd work for your rig. If you go with steel I'd like to help as soon as I get another gas bottle; maybe this month or January.

>>Dan
It would be a while before I would be able to even buy the steel for something like that. I just got medically retired from the Army and am living on a smaller budget for the time being. I still have to get tires for the damn thing before I really feel safe driving it around anywhere. I should have the tires in January sometime, the Pitbull Rockers are apparantly on backorder till then. $325 a tire....whew.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I hear you in regards to "smaller income"... yay, recession! :mad:
If you draw up some rough designs, give Glaser Steel a call (719)624 4060 with steel sizes/lengths etc. They're off of Hwy 24 and 31st street in C-Springs and usually have lower prices than many other steel places around town. I got steel for my square d-shaft and some 2x6x3/16 for about $30. :welder:

This place is similar to 4wheelparts.com but they list some different sizes and have lower prices on most tires; worth a look:

http://www.tirepackage.com/info/shipping-locations.aspx

>>Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts