TTORA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 V6 Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
I am making a list of the first lot of parts needed for some heavy mtx on my '97 Taco 4x4. Plan on pulling the R150F 5 speed manual transmission for rebuild late this month or in early June before it gets really hot. Clutch kit selection has been narrowed down to the Aisin CKT-040 or the Exedy 16087. I have read what ShowStop wrote up on the differences in these 2 clutch discs: "The Aisin clutch discs typically come with plastic dampener bushings, so the models with metal bushings like Exedy and Valeo would be preferred. ". Will take a look at the OEM clutch when it comes out before making a final choice. Both kits come with the disc/plate/throw out bearing/pilot bearing/alignment tool. Will go back with new HD 8.8 clutch plate bolts from Marlin (MCHT-411) & a JAPAN T/O bearing such as Aisin or Nachi even if it does not come in the kit. Will also replace the OEM clutch slave cylinder with the new Aisin CRT-014 I carry as a spare. And the SS hose kit (MCCL-632) will also come from Marlin. Planning on changing the rear main seal (RMS) under the flywheel while everything is apart. For those that have actually changed the RMS on their V6, which RMS do you consider better, the FEL-PRO Viton BS540674 or the OEM Toyota 90311-A0027/90080-31053? The original OEM Toyota seal is still dry after 25 years so am heavily leaning toward going back with another OEM Toyota seal. I can get either RMS for approximately the same price online. I have done a lot of clutch work, mostly on '60s muscle/race cars & JEEPS. But I have never had to change the clutch on this V6 Taco. The original clutch still works great but will be replaced while the tranny is out for rebuild. This will be a lot of labor but very rewarding fun for a life-long grease monkey. As always, useful input is appreciated. TIA!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts