TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the TRD V6 coils work on a 4 cyl? Will they lift it any? I've got someone who wants my old coils for this purpose, so I just wanted to check.

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
You will get a little bit of lift. The only thing I don't like about the TRD coils is that they don't ride that nice if you put a spacer on them. You might want to try to get some non-TRD V6 coils if you plan on putting a spacer on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i put on a cornfed 2.5" last year on my 03 2.7 and got 2.5'. then it sagged, and sagged some more. i must have lost at least 3/4". next thurs i'm putting some non-trd 6cyl coils on and i think i'll get my 2.5" back and at least .5" (after sag) for a 3" total. hopefully they (the new coils) will not sag much after that. i'll take measurements and post after i put them on. to answer your question. you'll only get lift from putting 6cyl coils on a 4cyl. the trd coils are progressive rate which means the coils are closer together near the top of the coil (where the spacer goes) if you put a spacer in these you'll compress that even further which will result in a harsher ride since the coils have less space to compress. i've compared all three coils side by side and the non-trd coils are beefier than both the trd and the 4cyl (larger diameter wire) which to me says they will sag less over time. toyota confirmed this when i asked how much to buy non-trd coils. they said they are a bigger coil (diameter) and are therefor more $ than both the trd and the 4cyl. they quoted me $137 per coil for the non-trd. luckily i found mine for $20 at a shop which was installing a lot of coilovers and they were just lying around. if you swap for a 4cyl, go for the non-trd.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im currently running v6 coils on my 98 4 cyl. After I installed the CF 3" spacer last year - It took only 4 to 5 months for it wear out my coils, which roughly gave me 2 to maybe 2 1/2" of lift. I installed the v6 non TRD's on my truck - about 6 months ago - and have yet to loose any lift. Still sitting w/ 3".
Rob

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dan said:
Anyone know where I can get a set of these non-TRD v6 coils for my 4 banger?
If you don't intend to put a spacer in them, you can have mine for cheap. Real cheap. But they are TRD.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yesterday i installed the non-trd v6 coils onto my 03 reg cab 2.7 with a 2.5" cornfed spacer. i had installed the spacer on the stock coils and within a year they had sagged at least 3/4". i got all of the 2.5" back and a little more (maybe 3/8th-1/2") but the coils are stiff as hell. at first the ride was ridiculously stiff but after an hour of driving they had loosened a bit. i'm hoping in the coming months they will sag and loosen up some more. i don't recommend this to anyone who is real particular about a soft car like ride or anyone who wants to drive fast off road. it is more for carrying big loads slowly off road (camping/fishing/hunting trips) this is just what i wanted so i'm happy. that and you will maintain your lift height over time and it was cheap for me as i paid $20 for the coils used.
happy holidays

·
Registered
73 Posts
if the v6 coils are stiff i'd imagine the tundra coils are worse. maybe tundra coils on a v6 but not on a 4cyl unless you really don't like your kidneys.

·
Registered
145 Posts
lavaboy2 said:
if the v6 coils are stiff i'd imagine the tundra coils are worse. maybe tundra coils on a v6 but not on a 4cyl unless you really don't like your kidneys.

i took this from the NE ttora site

"I have heard people asking in the past if Tundra coils would work on the Tacoma. Well I got them on mine and they increased the ride height by about 2 to 2.5 inches but they are too stiff.

For me, too stiff is better than too soft on the street. However it is possible to break the shocks if I pounded on them off road and let the suspension rebound hard when I catch air since the shock is the part that limits the down travel.I could install limiting straps and that would prevent the shocks from getting yanked apart.

I highly recommend that Tundra coils should not be used on any Tacoma that is lighter than a 4wd V-6! These coils almost topped out my suspension! I only have like 1.5" down travel now and I think stock is like 3.5 to 3.75" down travel.

This is how it is done:

If you get your hands on Tundra coilovers you can either just use the Tundra coils on your Tacoma shock, or you can use the Tundra shock and coil, but you need to re-use the Tacoma upper spring plate on that shock because the Tundra upper plate will not fit in the Tacoma upper spring bucket. To change out the springs you need a coil compressor (or strut compressor). Do not remove the upper center nut on the top of the shock until it is in a spring compressor or the spring will fly off and could cause serious injury or death. To remove a front Tacoma/Tundra coilover, jack up the front of your truck like the picture on your Tacoma jack so the tire droops out. remove the bottom bolt. Remove the top 3 nuts and pull the shock out carefully not to let it yank on the brake line. Put it in a spring compressor and swap the springs then do the prior in reverse order.

Kevin -So Cal chapter

[email protected] "

1 - 14 of 14 Posts