TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a fuel filter some time ago for my '02 Double Cab V6, and am just getting around to putting it on this weekend. I know the fuel injection system has some pressure to it; Anything I need to be aware of or cautious of? Also, is this just a plug-and-play kind of deal??

Anybody know of a decent publication for Double Cab Do-It-Yourselfers?

Thanks!

Beave

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just unscrew the gas cap to relieve some of the pressure in system. Get a bucket for the gas that will spill out when you take the filter out. The filter is located on the inner frame rail under the driver side. To be safe that you don't strip the banjo fittings, use some box end wrenches for the fittings. The fitting towards the motor was a beyotch to put back on for the new one... for me anyway. It should be a piece of cake though, took me less than 10 minutes for everything. Remember to NOT cross thread the fittings when putting the new filter on.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on, thanks man! Sounds e-z enough.

Beave

·
Registered
123 Posts
you'll want to pull a fuse for your fuel, and try and start your truck a couple of times to reduce the pressure in the lines. wear safety goggles, and wear gloves & long sleeve shirt. it can get messy. oh... do it when your engine is COLD

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this one definately sounds like an out-of-the-garage kinda job. Do you guys have any specific interval that you change it at?? Any warning signs i.e. bad mileage?
I'm just over 70k.

Thanks,

Beave

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
i did mine at around 100k and the gas that poured out the filter was very black and cruddy looking

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow.... So 2-to-1 say I'm probably way overdue. Thanks for all the responses and input!

Beave

·
Registered
84 Posts
Toyota says they are "lifetime" filters and they do not need to be changed.I replaced mine at 15k and when i cut the old one open,it was pretty dirty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts