TTORA Forum banner

V6 Gas mileage

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  TOYOTA 
#1 ·
I have a 04' v6 5-speed Tacoma and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to bump up the gas mileage just a little. I currently get 18-19mpg. I just ordered a K&N drop in air filter, but what else can I do. I would like to get somewhere between 20-22mpg if possible. Any suggestions would help...
Thanks

#2 ·
Tacoma418 said:
I have a 04' v6 5-speed Tacoma and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to bump up the gas mileage just a little. I currently get 18-19mpg. I just ordered a K&N drop in air filter, but what else can I do. I would like to get somewhere between 20-22mpg if possible. Any suggestions would help...
Thanks
Here is what I learned in high school years ago...What you do is tape a raw egg to the skinny pedal. Drive as you nornally would but don't break the egg. That will get you the best mpg and put you alongside the old blue haired drivers. As for any useable advice put some "street" tires on and get a topper. I can get close to 20 mpg with my topper sides down and winter tires on driving conservatively.

#5 ·
I too have the 2.7 and get 18 MPG (or LESS). I wish I got 20-22, like I used to. You should be happy to be getting 18 out of the v-6.
I am out of ideas, cleaned the MAF, the TB, both O2 sensors, I'll try the seafoam next, just before my next oil change....But I doubt that will do anything either :(.

In a nut shell, there is probably nothing you can do except to put on little tires, and drive no faster the 55mph....

#6 ·
The best I get in my v6 prerunner is 19.5 wiht a 130 mile hw trip, to work and back a few times and to school and back (Work really kills me...slow roads). But during winter break when I was on full-time I got an avg of 16.5 mpg back and forth from work-only. Autos suck ass on power and mpg.

On yota tech there is a write-up section. One dude...oh here it is... http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/haveblue_atomizer/haveblue.htm

About a 'fuel atomizer.'

#7 ·
best thing you can do to increase your gas mileage is to make sure your tires are inflated to their max. Make sure you do it when the tires are cold and only if your not going to be hauling stuff. Never the less, I only get between 16.5 and 18.5. This is with everything lubed, full synthetic (gear and engine). I usually drive about 75mph though, but the best has been 19 driving like a granny.

#10 ·
when i swapped in my magnaflow muffler my gas mileage jumped up about 40 miles per tank...that is, after the "i have new exhaust and everyone has to hear it" syndrome wore off

#11 · (Edited)
their are alot variables that could contribute to your loss of fuel mileage including any number of sensors, if they have all checked to be good than one thing that can be a cause is a change in quality of fuel due to season change or just a bad batch. try fueling up at a different location if you mainly go to one, if that dosen't work try getting a different grade of fuel, that could help also. to try to improve your milage you could try an aftermarket exhaust system or air filter, if all else fails you could give into common sense and buy a tornado. :)

#13 ·
I have 04 V6 as well, very poor gas mileage, I was thinking I would have to pay gas guzzler tax on my fed tax this year. I also have a 99 2.7 it doesnt do well either, but it does have a supecharger on it, and a heavy footed driver.

#14 ·
I have a '99 v6 with the small stock tires (235/75 R15) xtra cab and an above-the-cab topper, and I am getting 21 on the highway even in the winter (in Cal. with the gas reformulated). I don't know for sure, but I think the little tires make a big difference. I like the look of larger tires but I am commuting a lot now and don't want to sacrifice the gas mileage.

#15 ·
twblanset said:
I have a '99 v6 with the small stock tires (235/75 R15) xtra cab and an above-the-cab topper, and I am getting 21 on the highway even in the winter (in Cal. with the gas reformulated). I don't know for sure, but I think the little tires make a big difference. I like the look of larger tires but I am commuting a lot now and don't want to sacrifice the gas mileage.
I have 265/70R16 tires and get 21 MPG on the highway. I do have a few mods though. :D

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.