TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i speak for a majority of guys when i say i want more power ( accell, torgue, etc.) outa my V6. yet the problem i find is everyone around here has a different "miracle" power mod, of course deckplate and such mods are common and have shown results, just thats not really what im lookin for i have limited budget and want major results. realisticly that prolly wont happen on limited budget. but what i wanna know is whats the best bang for the buck. things i considering.... headers, cold air intake, chip. i am tryin to stay in the 200-250 ball park. i want the difference when i get in the truck after the mod to be sumthin that will throw u back in ur seat with a lil more slam than i currently get. i mighta missed a few options i have, just let me know about them, im open for suggestions and comments, negative or positive. thanks guys
RENEGADE76254

·
Registered
279 Posts
$250 won't throw you back in your seat, but I'd do the deckplate mod and catback exhaust. If you wanna save some cash, throw on a magnaflow instead of the catback. I don't think you'll get as much power but save some dough in the process. The only thing that will throw you back in your seat is a supercharger or turbo. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i had a nissan b4 my yota, 4 banger with headers, k&n replacement filter, and a lil bit of cam, and if i shifted the 5sp just right it would hall butt for a nissan truck. my yota i just feel has more power than what i can actually use, its like with the 4spd auto i run outa gears, i get to the top of the gear when u should shift and it just kinda runs there for a lil while longer before it shifts. im thinkin the chip is the answer...........

or maybe not, sumbody help me figure this out...... :confused:

·
Registered
185 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
I think i speak for a majority of guys when i say i want more power ( accell, torgue, etc.) outa my V6. yet the problem i find is everyone around here has a different "miracle" power mod, of course deckplate and such mods are common and have shown results, just thats not really what im lookin for i have limited budget and want major results. realisticly that prolly wont happen on limited budget. but what i wanna know is whats the best bang for the buck. things i considering.... headers, cold air intake, chip. i am tryin to stay in the 200-250 ball park. i want the difference when i get in the truck after the mod to be sumthin that will throw u back in ur seat with a lil more slam than i currently get. i mighta missed a few options i have, just let me know about them, im open for suggestions and comments, negative or positive. thanks guys
RENEGADE76254
For $250 bucks you could problably get a nitrous kit. That would throw you back in the seat. Other than that.....Deckplate or K&N FIPK, Catback, Headers.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Uneasy Rider said:
For $250 bucks you could problably get a nitrous kit. That would throw you back in the seat. Other than that.....Deckplate or K&N FIPK, Catback, Headers.
A 50-shot kit runs around $500 + install.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
RENEGADE76254
In that ballpark you wont ever get "throw u back in ur seat" performance from the 3.4. It's not a bad engine, but it will never be a V8 or Turbo ricer. This is a truck, with larger tires and lower gearing, the S/C offers good performance gains but 4wd Tacomas will never be a dominant force at local dragstrips. For $200-$250 all your gonna get is a deckplate and catback. Horsepower costs money.

Tim

100 Posts
I have an '02 Pre-Runner and it WAILS!! However, the wail cost me @ 4 grand; TRD headers, cat-back, air filter, Supercharger and 7th injector. There is no "Miracle" power mod for $250 that will make your truck into an airplane. I do not think any power chips are available. A good set of headers cost 500-1000 and with a cat-back only give you @ 15 horses, which you would not even notice. Headers are best employed with the supercharger, that is when you need them. Remember it is only a V-6 not a big V-8. I do not have the knowlege that most of the members have but just do not see you going anywhere with 250 to invest. Sorry. Rich

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
REDMARLIN WITH SOUL said:
I have an '02 Pre-Runner and it WAILS!! However, the wail cost me @ 4 grand; TRD headers, cat-back, air filter, Supercharger and 7th injector. There is no "Miracle" power mod for $250 that will make your truck into an airplane. I do not think any power chips are available. A good set of headers cost 500-1000 and with a cat-back only give you @ 15 horses, which you would not even notice. Headers are best employed with the supercharger, that is when you need them. Remember it is only a V-6 not a big V-8. I do not have the knowlege that most of the members have but just do not see you going anywhere with 250 to invest. Sorry. Rich
Well put ;)

you wanna play...you gotta pay, plain and simple.

·
Registered
731 Posts
You spent 4 grand and you are not done yet! If you check your AFR's, you will probably find you are running very rich with the 7th injector. Sooner or later if you like to boost a lot your cats will clog. I would suggest you look into URD's additional injector controller so you can control the fuel on the 7th.
If you think your truck is fast now---put the controller on, get the 2.2 pulley, get the water injection setup, and get it tuned properly. It made all the difference in the world on my truck. I'm getting almost 270 Hp at the wheels now. Check the webshots link in my sig for the dyno run sheet. However----this kind of power cost me 6 grand!

Dave

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i might get flammed for this but i figured out that thing about shiftin, how i said it felt like it would run outa gears. i manual shifted the auto today adn didnt go into 2nd until it got to the right rpms 2 shift and if jumped right in no delay. then i noticed with it jumpin into the next gear it maintained the momentum.

100 Posts
v6 modification options

undefined
TRDOLMAN said:
You spent 4 grand and you are not done yet! If you check your AFR's, you will probably find you are running very rich with the 7th injector. Sooner or later if you like to boost a lot your cats will clog. I would suggest you look into URD's additional injector controller so you can control the fuel on the 7th.
If you think your truck is fast now---put the controller on, get the 2.2 pulley, get the water injection setup, and get it tuned properly. It made all the difference in the world on my truck. I'm getting almost 270 Hp at the wheels now. Check the webshots link in my sig for the dyno run sheet. However----this kind of power cost me 6 grand!

Dave
Ha, I hated to hear those dreaded words "...and you are not done yet!" I restored a '65 Goat from '83 to '96 and was always improving in looks and performance, and was never done ntil the day I sold it. Had been looking at posts re: 2.2 pulley but have not seen much (so far) on water injection or URD controller. I keep notes so when warranty is out I will do some investigating. 270 at wheels is VERY IMPRESSIVE. Thanks for input.

·
Registered
731 Posts
undefined
Ha, I hated to hear those dreaded words "...and you are not done yet!" I restored a '65 Goat from '83 to '96 and was always improving in looks and performance, and was never done ntil the day I sold it. Had been looking at posts re: 2.2 pulley but have not seen much (so far) on water injection or URD controller. I keep notes so when warranty is out I will do some investigating. 270 at wheels is VERY IMPRESSIVE. Thanks for input.
The reason you probably haven't seen much on the Aquamist 2D or the URD AIC is probably not many folks have that setup. After spending 4 grand on S/C, 7th injector, headers, ect.---it might be hard to justify spending another 1500 on the pulley, WI, and AIC. You are pretty happy with the way your truck performs now right? Most people are. I just wanted my truck to safely run the best it could and was willing to pay the price for it.

BTW, since the dyno run, Brian Trager from URD did a custom tune on my truck and I know it's making more power now. The tune plus some other changes is twisting my arm to go back to the dyno shop. I'm hoping for 275RWHP but we will see.

Dave

·
Registered
264 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
i have limited budget and want major results. realisticly that prolly wont happen on limited budget. but what i wanna know is whats the best bang for the buck. things i considering.... headers, cold air intake, chip. i am tryin to stay in the 200-250 ball park. i want the difference when i get in the truck after the mod to be sumthin that will throw u back in ur seat with a lil more slam than i currently get.
If all you care about is acceleration and power and all you have is $250, go with short little tires like 225/75-15s. That's your only available dramatic power increase for that little bit of money. Same effect as lower gearing.

Headers won't do jack except make it louder until you get to really high rpms. Will not throw anything back in a seat.

Intake won't do jack except make it louder. Do the free elbow removal mod or deckplate for the same effect. Will not throw anything back in a seat.

"Chip" won't do jack except lighten your wallet. I guess you could throw yourself back farther in your seat if you didn't have that extra money in your wallet.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
RENEGADE76254
Yah well I want custom center-mounted long travel with working 4WD, 3 link rear end, 4 buckets seats, 700HP, 37 inch BFGs and a hot co-driver who gives me head while I drive. For free.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
BajaRnr12 said:
Yah well I want custom center-mounted long travel with working 4WD, 3 link rear end, 4 buckets seats, 700HP, 37 inch BFGs and a hot co-driver who gives me head while I drive. For free.
What? and you can't find all that for $250?? :p

·
Registered
150 Posts
There are really no grest mods for cheap for a toyota, no chips available so just headers, exhaust, super charger, 7th injector, cold air intake.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
GreenTaco4x4 said:
I know it isn't cheap but, has anyone run nitrous like mentioned before?
the question came up a few times on the Delphi board so I know there are at least a few members with it. try posting specifically for nitrous.

Customtacos.com will be a better source for info, however.

There's a local guy who installs the 50-shot kits for around $600 so they aren't that expensive.

100 Posts
Performance on 3.4

TRDOLMAN said:
The reason you probably haven't seen much on the Aquamist 2D or the URD AIC is probably not many folks have that setup. After spending 4 grand on S/C, 7th injector, headers, ect.---it might be hard to justify spending another 1500 on the pulley, WI, and AIC. You are pretty happy with the way your truck performs now right? Most people are. I just wanted my truck to safely run the best it could and was willing to pay the price for it.

BTW, since the dyno run, Brian Trager from URD did a custom tune on my truck and I know it's making more power now. The tune plus some other changes is twisting my arm to go back to the dyno shop. I'm hoping for 275RWHP but we will see.

Dave

Dave, I am more than happy with my set up-and remember I have a 4:10 first gear (auto) and only 265-70-16 tires-so the wheel "turns." Frankly after owning three muscle cars of the mid '60's (one was a new '64 GTO that I ran as B Modified stock-yes, that dates me) I am surprised that my truck get so much traction without Posi.
With all that said, "I can always be HAPPIER." I travel to NY in summer and winter in Florida. Where I go in the Catskills the dealership has only installed ONE supercharger and when I mentioned 7th injector kit, they were not familiar with it. When I drove the truck in for first time service the guy said, "Well, I know you did not buy that truck around these parts." At least 95% of their sale is 4x4 (snow) Do not sell many pre-Runners.
I have to haul around @ 120 lbs extra weight (Tonneau cover and own fabricated bed rug) but the up-side is it is all behind the cab which helps traction and weight distribution.
My best time in the 1/4 was 14.87 at 101MPH. I did not run big slicks but ran "cheater slicks" If I came out of the hole with a lot of clutch play I was in good shape. Although I never came in first. A few times, second. Ha, not with toyota but back in '64-'65 with GTO. It has been a LONG TIME but I think my tacoma is "close" to a 0-60 time of my GTO but after that the HP and cubic inches of the big block would take over. So again, I CAN ALWAYS BE HAPPIER. I am impressed with your 270HP at rear wheels. I think that is more than I had with GTO. Do not recall the rear wheel power ever being relayed. I think that the dyno tune gave a reading of 355+.
Have you ever ran your truck for times and MPH???? Smaller slicks then tires you are running and I bet you would be up there in high 14's or low 15's. My Goat was a 2dr. Sedan which was 100 + pounds lighter than the hardtop model. I think it was 3260 but memory fades over 40 years. Well you can see you got me going!!!! Good on 'ya. Gad, this was a long post!!
Thanks again. We will talk in the future. Richie

'02 Pre-Runner: 3.4 with TRD Supercharger with 7th injector, headers, cat-back, air filter, Monomax shocks, "Summit" anti-roll traction plus helper springs, step bars. bull bar with amber KC fog lamps, ARE hard tonneau cover, hand made bed rug.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts