TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of issues with the V8 in the 4Runner? Any great benefits? I've pretty much cemented my decision to get rid of the Tacoma and get a 4Runner but I'm wondering if the V-8 is worth the extra $$$.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I've heard the V8 is fantastic. My thing is the V8's only come pretty much loaded. They have full time 4WD with traction control. Not sure about aftermarket locker availability.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
I love mine. Plenty of power, and it tows great as well. I have 48K with no issues to date. Gas mileage is ok, with ~20 hwy, and ~16 city. If you can keep it around 65-68 on the interstate, you can get ~22.

If you plan to lift it a considerable amount, stay away from the XREAS shocks. Most lifts don't play nice with the system.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I was about to buy one a few months ago. I test drove an 04 V8. It drove real nice and had great power from the 4.7 V8. If you're going to be towing a bunch, the V8 is a must. If not, I wouldn't spend the extra $$.

And like YotaJosh said, don't get the XREAS if you're planning on lifting. But they can be taken out fairly easily, if needs be.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have an 03 SR5 V8, 60k miles, pretty much base model, had to locate out of state. Replaced door autolock and relay switch on a/c. For heavy loads and towing it is a must in the mtns, etc. Very happy with fit and finish, base model seats at least in the 03 are lint traps, kinda of a pain in the but to vacum all the crap off. Dash warrants a little care, it scuffs real easy, I use 303 marine spray to protect it. Have the Michelins, pretty decent tires, better of the bunch offered, but it is screaming for BFGATKO's

Pop has an 07 V6 4x4 which is great but I like the low end tourque of the V8. Couldn't seem to drop 30 k for a V6. But to each his own....

I agree, stay away from XREAS for lifting.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
One good thing about XREAS:

XREAS + V8 + AWD = fun as hell on a curvy 2 lane country road.

The one I test drove was handling better than my wife's Firebird! I loved everything about it, except the price. That's why I got a 2WD.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also have an '03 SR5 V8 2wd runner and I love it. We have just over 60k and all that we have had done to it is a rear wheel bearing went out and they replaced both fronts before they realized it was the rear.

I do Mobil1 oil changes every 5k and that's it. It's a great truck.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
i just traded my tundy for 03 v8 runner 4x4, havent wheeled it yet, waiting for lift and tires to get here. i drove it up north, and it hauls ass up the passes, i was towing a light trailer, (bike, cooler, some gear) wasnt impressed with gas mileage, but im sure it was my fault. i put a new exhaust on it with a 2 chamber flow master and it sounds awesome at about 4500rpm pulling the hills:D im glad i bought it

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes, yes its worth all the way. Best year for the v8 was o5 as it was the firts year with the vvti and before they made some changes for economy and emissions in 06-07.

There is availability for gears, I have geared mine and locked it. Its basically a v6 third member from 85-96 (I could have the years wrong). Go to toyota4runner.org or toyota120 for more info. Or you can pm me

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Anyone know of issues with the V8 in the 4Runner? Any great benefits? I've pretty much cemented my decision to get rid of the Tacoma and get a 4Runner but I'm wondering if the V-8 is worth the extra $$$.

Dude, get the V8!!!!!:D Until we (Toyota) came out with the new 5.7 L V8 in the Tundra, that 4.7 L was one of the best V8's on the market, and no issues, it's a bad ass engine!!:cool:
My034runner is a V6, and I wish that I would have got the V8. The 4.0 L V6 is a great engine, and that's a fact.
But, with the extra low end torque, and extra HP, I would be actually be getting better gas mileage with the V8. I carry a lot of weight, well, check my Sig for a partial list of what's on it.

And like Rory said, the '05 VVT-i 4.7 L rocks!! The new '06 and '07's are great as well.

And as far as gears go's, yes, again, as Rory pointed out, there are finally gears available, as well as ARB lockers.
That's what I have have planned for this year or next, need to find a shit load of money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ lying around somewhere first.:eek:

I love TTORA, and am very active in our NVTTORA chapter. But if you want to really learn everything there is to know about your new 4Runner, and all the mods that we are doing to our 4th Gen 4Runners, then there is only one (1) place to go.

http://toyota120.com/

Toyota120 is the absolute BEST place on the entire Internet for our trucks. Trust me on this.

My034Runner is my user name there, here, and everywhere!!!

If you have any questions about Toyota120, 4Runners, or anything else, feel free to PM me either here or there.

Robert:xpimp: :xdevil:

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Oh yeah, if you happen to find a 4th gen Sport or Limited V8 w/ X-reas, and you like it, get it.

The X-reas isn't that hard to take out, plus, if you but Donahoe suspension (Hoe's) all around, and new coils, it'll actually out perform the X-reas.

But the advantage is that you get to have a nicer trim level when you go up from the SR5. Just my :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

But what the hell do I know??:xpimp: :xdevil:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Used or new? I personally am very happy we purchased used. Besides the fact that we purchased 3Kmi after the warranty expired (then the tensioner pulley went to shit), we saved a load of cash.
Test drive them both and decide for yourself. Obvioulsy if you tow a good amount of weight, the V8 will be best. But for everything else - the v6 has a great amount of power.
We bought ours for her, and we use it to tow our 2 quads plus all our camping gear..(2k?)..I can't even tell the trailer is back there with the V6.
The ground clearance pretty much sucks....There are cheap leveler kits that would band-aid the problem though....:2cents:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
We bought our runner for the wife to drive.

It's not a V8, and I don't think our use would justify one.

I have my Tacoma for any towing/hauling that we might do, and that V6 drags the runner around just fine. I can't imagine why my wife would need more power. I haven't checked the difference, but I bet insurance is cheaper with the V6.

We didn't do 4WD either. Again, My Tacoma will handle all the wheeling duties, and I can't imagine why my wife would need or want 4WD. It doesn't even snow here!

Our sport has the X-REAS suspension. While I agree that it's cool to have the improved handling on winding roads, that's not why I bought it.

That 4runner exists because I believe it's safe and dependable. The fancy stereo and the leather seats are just bait to get my wife in it. The real deal in my eyes is that it will run EVERY TIME, and hitting a chug hole won't take it out. That runner will bring her home safe and that's what matters.

I like the X-REAS suspension because I believe it makes the truck safer.

The reduced body roll and the improved responsiveness are all about keeping it upright and on the pavement.

Having said all that, The runner has been a good truck with no mechanical problems.

It's got a smooth comfortable ride and plush seating.

It's classy looking, and my wife loves it.

If I had a chance to do it all over, I would buy another 4runner in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just traded in my 05 prerunner taco for this 05 limited V8

from 034runner and couldn't be happier. He even let us to test drive it off road on shit 100 times harder than those man made humps in the jeep and and rover lots. Bone stock w/ street tires and all without a hiccup. I can't wait to be able to mod just a little bit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts