TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my fathers truck the other day, it is a 2000 Tundra w the 4.7 v8 and has 171k miles on it. I noticed that while driving/accelerating the oil pressure holds steady a just past the half mark on the gauge. When sitting at idle, the pressure drops almost to the bottom of the gauge. when coasting at speed, the needle drops to a little below the middle, maybe to the bottom third of the gauge. I know that oil pressure fluxuates, but this seems extreme. Is this normal or an indication of something in the engine. The truck pulls strong and doesn't blow any smoke. I was debating on using the truck for a few weeks to haul around an air compressor setup I use to winterize lawn sprinklers, but don't want to take a risk if there is some issue with the engine. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I was driving my fathers truck the other day, it is a 2000 Tundra w the 4.7 v8 and has 171k miles on it. I noticed that while driving/accelerating the oil pressure holds steady a just past the half mark on the gauge. When sitting at idle, the pressure drops almost to the bottom of the gauge. when coasting at speed, the needle drops to a little below the middle, maybe to the bottom third of the gauge. I know that oil pressure fluxuates, but this seems extreme. Is this normal or an indication of something in the engine. The truck pulls strong and doesn't blow any smoke. I was debating on using the truck for a few weeks to haul around an air compressor setup I use to winterize lawn sprinklers, but don't want to take a risk if there is some issue with the engine. Thanks.
It's normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
Aaronbraga
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing