TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I (at least) will be taking our trucks out west finally to run some of Moab and some stuff in CO. Two week trek, leaving around the 15th of June '12. Mainly for the experience of driving our great country, see the incredible views, and have a good adventure.

We both have Tacomas, however that is where the similarities stop. His is a 00 V6 5-spd TRD with Allpro coilovers and rear springs and front bumper. Mine is an 04 4cyl 5-spd SR5 that will be a little more armored than my sig says by the time we leave. I will probably add a front and rear bumper and a limited slip for the rear.

Do the ABS axles, front or rear, swap with non-ABS? We will have to grab a couple of things like thermostats and that sort of consumable, but does anyone think we will need spare rear axle shafts? I would almost rather get some chomoly ones installed than have to pack something like that.

We are still in the stage of planning and figuring the outfitting and maintainence before hand cost as we as the actual trip cost. Any input from those that have done this sort of thing would be great, I am sure that I we will forget something.

Thanks folks,

Brandon

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Spare rear axle shafts? I think that would be the least of your worries. You should however bring along a spare CV for the front if that's what you mean. There are numerous lists floating around for what to bring on an expedition type trip.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124453

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47343

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25073

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16548

http://www.ttora.com/wiki/index.php/Trail_and_Camping_Supplies

We will have to grab a couple of things like thermostats and that sort of consumable, but does anyone think we will need spare rear axle shafts? I would almost rather get some chomoly ones installed than have to pack something like that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did that trip (VA/WV to Moab) two years ago. I didn't take my truck, and we towed the 4Runner that we took, so it wasn't not quite the same as what you're planning.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much about spare axle shafts. CVs, probably, but I wouldn't worry about rear shafts unless you happen to have spares already.

I haven't wheeled in Colorado, and I don't know what trails you intend to run there, but Moab is soooooooo different than here in VA, or NC or PA. The traction is amazing, and parts of the trails we ran didn't even require 4wd. We ran trails like Gold Bar, Golden Spike, Hells Revenge, and Poison Spider. The only trouble we had at all was a broken brake line (on a SAS truck) 'cause it was too long and it got pinched between the axle and the bump stop.

One thing I'd recommend for sure: make sure your brakes are in good shape. There's some steep stuff out there, with sheer drops of a couple hundred feet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
One more thing... Do you have stock gears in the diffs? Stock transfer case? I was there in an '87 4Runner with a SAS, 35"s, dual cases, dual lockers, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to do the same trails in your rig. Stock gearing would probably be okay, but if you have better-than-stock gearing you'll be set.

Also, I'd go for a rear locker over a limited slip.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Much appreciated...

I really didn't think the rear axle would be an issue, but my bro brought it up, so I thought I would mention it.

I have been going back and forth about the locker/limited slip, unless I can find a trd rear that can be regeared to 4.30s, I can't afford an ARB and really don't want a lunch box/full time locker. I have ridden with and driven a friend Heep with a rear lockrite and didn't like thinking that my girl will sometimes have to drive in inclement weather in this truck. I will continue considering this over the next few months however.

Do the ABS/Non-ABS CVs swap? Should I get Toyota or have yall had good luck with parts store CVs?

Thanks again fellas.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
CVs, maybe a spare U joint for a drive line, first aid kit, tire plug kit and a compressor, fire extuinguisher and the tools needed to change out a CV or a tire.

Make sure you have front and rear tow points and a full sized spare.

Most of the trails that go through mountain passes in Colorado are not going to be open that early in June. Sometimes the passes are not open till late July early August. I have gone in mid June and found most of the passes closed, and had some of them open up the first week in August. You might consider the south central area, where its high desert. Pueblo, Buena Vista, Alamosa. Not sure about western Colorado out near Grand Junction? If I had one trail to recomend in the South Central area for the capability of your vehicles, it would be Medano Pass starting from the Great Sand Dunes side. Its mild moderate trail, where you get a taste of everything. You drive over deep sand, there are a good half a dozen creek crossings, scenic rocks, abandoned log cabins that are over a century old, and a tiny bit of mild rock crawling.

As far as Moab, that is a GREAT time to go, not a lot of people on the trails! It hard to believe how much traction and steepness the trails have to offer. "Top of the World" would be one trail that you will probably enjoy.

Wally

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you...

That was a great reply Wally, that is the kind of respond that most noobs do not get on any forum. Insightful, experienced comment based on a veteran's knowledge. We will either postpone or run the areas that you suggest, however I would rather not be burdened with others breathing down my neck (think...the slow guy on the golf course) and have to skip a couple of the passes that I would like to hit.

We have a friend that lives in a big Victorian style home in Denver that we will visit and that was most of the reason, initially to do CO, maybe some of that wil change. Again still in the planning period, however for the drive, we want to see as must fantastic scenery as possible (mainly to sell the girlfriend on expeditions rather than sitting on a beach for a week getting drunk).

Again thanks for all of your suggestions, being an East coast wheeler and especially a VA wheeler, this is going to be an absolutely epic trip for us and all of your suggestions will be carefully thought over.

My girl is going to be the documentation person for the trip, both in pictures and a journal, a la Silvertoy's posts, so come July be watching for more of those type of descriptions and photos. *Note to self--buy an awesome camera*

Brandon

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
We ran into a lot of trail closures in the middle of July this year due massive amounts of late winter/spring snow in Colorado. IMO June is way too early for hitting most of the high elevation trails. If you are spending most of your time there I'd consider moving your trip out to mid July early August timeframe. See links in my sig (#3) for pics and corresponding dates of all the snow and trail closures we encountered. Bushducks is a great resource too...

http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not entirely...

We are mainly doing it for Moab, the fact that we have friends in is the main reason to try some of the passes. I checked out Medano pass and it look like we could take that through to the park side and then try for Engineer pass on our way out to Moab. Probably take I-40 back east when it is all said and done for some different scenery. Any suggestions wil be mulled over however and keep them coming. The Top of the World trail does look like one that can't be missed, thanks for that suggestion.

you can just post up and camp in Moab right or is there designated sites?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Medano Pass would probably be ok in June, but like others have said, the high passes like Mosquito, Engineer, Immogene, Black Bear, Pearl, Taylor, ect will most likely be closed. I tried to run Pearl pass on a motorcycle early September at the end of the Colorado heatwave, it was still blocked with snow. Some passes can be closed all year if the winter snowpack is heavy. This year could be the same, places like A-Basin and Loveland Basin are already skiing!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I have run Medano Pass in mid June a couple of times. The water crossings are deeper ie 2sh feet in the spring, quite a bit less in late summer. The first year I ran it early there was a huge deep mud hole right in the middle of the trail, but that has been repaired.

Chinaman's Gulch would be a fun one, its open year round, probably about as challanging as I would want to get in a stock Tacoma. I have run it in both directions with 32" tires 2-3 years ago, BUT it was a handful either way. Definetly going to want upgraded skids and sliders, a spare CV and a winch would be standard equipment IMO, for that trail.

Wally

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dates settled

Okay we settled on a date, July 15th to leave the East Coast. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens this winter with snow fall, if there are any different change in the trail passes, let me know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dates settled

Okay we settled on a date, July 15th to leave the East Coast. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens this winter with snow fall, if there are any different change in the trail passes, let me know.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have run Medano Pass in mid June a couple of times. The water crossings are deeper ie 2sh feet in the spring, quite a bit less in late summer. The first year I ran it early there was a huge deep mud hole right in the middle of the trail, but that has been repaired.
There was a major forest fire on Medano this early this summer. It was pretty much closed all summer due to flash floods. I'm not sure if it will be open next season, I'd call the Visitor Center for the latest information and conditions (719-378-6399) before I'd try to drive over it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts