TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone up for a little wrenching? I'm ordering all the parts for replacing the valve cover gaskets for the 3.4. Anyone done this before? I know there are tons of threads about it.

Next project:
ball joints, brake lines, tundra brakes, tranny cooler upgrade, wheel seals.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
It's not as if removing and replacing valve covers is much of a task. Maybe it's just a be more challenging than changing your oil or filling up your gas tank.

Anyone up for a little wrenching? I'm ordering all the parts for replacing the valve cover gaskets for the 3.4. Anyone done this before? I know there are tons of threads about it.

Next project:
ball joints, brake lines, tundra brakes, tranny cooler upgrade, wheel seals.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I need to do the same thing to mine. 'Smells like an old tractor when I park it. :mad: I think there's a mouse nest up in there too....
Looks like the biggest challenge is getting all the plumbing out of the way.

·
Registered
710 Posts
It's not hard, just a little time consuming. I did my passenger side a couple years ago with intentions of doing to driver's side at the same time. I didn't have time to get to both, so the driver's side is still dripping. haha

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Dang C if you weren't on the other side of the world from me I'd be down.. Get your wife to do it... it can't be that hard. :p

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
i just had the dealer do mine when they did my timing belt/water pump

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn that must of hurt the wallet. I had a shop fix the problem w/ the gas tank, I didn't want to mess w/ the tank and I was still having issues w/ my back at the time. Found out it was part of the issue w/ the computer board in the dash.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
damn that must of hurt the wallet. I had a shop fix the problem w/ the gas tank, I didn't want to mess w/ the tank and I was still having issues w/ my back at the time. Found out it was part of the issue w/ the computer board in the dash.
was around 1k OTD for water pump, timing belt, and valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Us poor cripple folks have to do it all ourselves...

My helper... :rolleyes:

The OR

It's impossible not to crack the brittle plastic harness cover on the drivers side

The spark plug tube seals are a pain to replace... but I figered it out :p

No leaks!!!

Hey C, it ain't that tough! We need to plan a play date :lmao:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HA!, I worked on mine too. We broke the plastic cover instantly! Cover the wires with some electric tape w/ two layers.

We figured some how my truck had California emissions on it too.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I will tell you that it was worth it! After almost 3 full days of wrenching and a week of the truck being down, I was regretting doing the work myself on my Tacoma. I learned my lesson though

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Us poor cripple folks have to do it all ourselves...
lol at least you get a half of a helper!

I will tell you that it was worth it! After almost 3 full days of wrenching and a week of the truck being down, I was regretting doing the work myself on my Tacoma. I learned my lesson though
yeah i think seeing your post and a couple others about how much of a PITA it was, i decided to bite the bullet and let someone else do it. I couldnt afford the down time for several days with it being my DD. Had it done during tax return season, so that made it much less painful on the wallet.

Now that it isnt my DD anymore, I would probably do it myself. Makes such a big difference when you arent rushed and wrenching, makes it less stressful knowing that if you dont get it done Sunday you wont have to find another way to work.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Last week I "de-gunked" my engine, removed all the outside valve cover bolts and used loc-tite to make sure they stay put. Apparently they are notorious for backing out. All of mine were at least 2 full turns loose and could turn them by hand! The oil seeps have stopped and all is good for the moment. I guess I will be doing the "valve cover party" if the leaks return. 185k and still going strong.

Ted, what was wrong with your spark plug tube seals? What is one of those "while I'm in here I might as well replace it" thoughts? What's the secret/trick to replacing them?

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Yeah, 200k so might as well replace them. Christian said a few of his spark plug tubes were full of oil... eewww. Ben's were dry

Locktite?? :eek: ...you used the soft stuff right?

Use a round punch with a good edge on it. Poke it through the top side of the cover. The seal has a steel outter ring so when your driving it out your not actually hitting the alloy cover. Hold the punch waaay over, almost touching the opposite side of the hole your accessing through. I had to hit it pretty hard too, all in one spot, didn't bother rotating around.

If you do nick the alloy just sand it out and put a dab of sealant on the outside of the seal. Oh, and don't forget the little half moons in the head that should be pulled, cleaned and re-silicone... two per side (if/when you do the gaskets)

I told Ben had we known the screws get loose like they do we'd started checking them at 50k cycles 150k ago!! lol ..

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Last week I "de-gunked" my engine, removed all the outside valve cover bolts and used loc-tite to make sure they stay put. Apparently they are notorious for backing out. All of mine were at least 2 full turns loose and could turn them by hand! The oil seeps have stopped and all is good for the moment. I guess I will be doing the "valve cover party" if the leaks return. 185k and still going strong.

Ted, what was wrong with your spark plug tube seals? What is one of those "while I'm in here I might as well replace it" thoughts? What's the secret/trick to replacing them?

yeah no kidding they back out. When mine was leaking, they were not even finger tight either. I tightened them all up, but still was leaking so replaced them. Think I had somewhere between 160-170k? Not sure, was 2 years ago. Have 180k now

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Thinking about it... I would be more inclined to believe the rubber washer compresses over time which, in turn (no pun), makes the screws lose their torque?? One test would be to mark the bolt head and see if it actually "backs out"

Greg, I'd say it's time for a re-torque!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, we were talking about it, the washer does shrink/compresses over time. Ted, we did the same thing to get the gaskets out of the valve cover, hit damn hard and get a good set of plyers in there a pull them out. Then soaked the covers in gas for a few, scrubbed, air dry and perfect.

also a good time to take note of any vacuum lines that are drying up and cracking, I have three I will change out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts