TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I still need to do a great de-greasing of the engine bay on the 99 (still needs a name, it will come to me), there is a oil lead on the 3.4 high up so it looks like the valve cover. I"m in there, so I will do both sides. Anyone know a great write up on changing them?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
So I still need to do a great de-greasing of the engine bay on the 99 (still needs a name, it will come to me), there is a oil lead on the 3.4 high up so it looks like the valve cover. I"m in there, so I will do both sides. Anyone know a great write up on changing them?
dont know of a write up. had mine fixed at the dealer while they were doing the timing belt and water pump.

might want to check the valve cover bolts first. I checked mine and they were fairly loose. Unfortunately for me, they still leaked after that. Might be worth a try for you though.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey, do you hear your fan in like first hear on the motor? I haven't driven't the 3.4 enough to know what is good and what is bad. I've drive with the a/c on every time, didn't know if that mattered.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the heads up, i checked and all the outside row bolts were loose, i put a good turn on each of them.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hopefully tightening everything up helps.

As far as valve cover gaskets on the 3.4, they suggest to get new gaskets for the intake manifold since you may need to remove it to get to the driver's side gasket. Brad said he didn't have to, but he couldn't remember if that was before or after the supercharger was put on. :flipoff4: I did the passenger's side first since it was easier. Just removed the intake, unhooked the coil packs/wires, and cleaned the throttle body out while I was at it. I never took the time or effort to change the driver's side because I'm too lazy.

Also, when/if you do change the valve cover seals, get some of the black goo Toyota sells to put on the corners where it meets up with the hump for the cam. I just used high temp RTV since that's what I had.

Edit: My fan is really loud for a few minutes after first start up. It always has been, so it should be normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts