TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be pulling the factory valve stems (w/sensors) out of my after market wheels next time I'm in for rotation. I'll be going to full size spare and rubber valve stems on all five wheels.

Anything better out there then the standard rubber valve stems???

What can I look forward to dealing with when my computer can not read sensors?? Is there a bypass or way to fool computer??

thanks,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
LavosTRD:

That is what I understand to the case too. So here is my proposal. Take all 5 sensors and place inside a pressurized environment ( 2.5" X 8" hand truck tire) of 35 lbs and store under back seat. Unless there is a motion detector in the sensor as well they would all be same pressure and transmit w/o interuption. I'm wondering is there a "sleep" mode that would come to play ??

I do know there is a complicated electrical bypass on boards to deactiviate, but do not want to do this until the vehicle goes out of warranty.

What do you think???

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would say just deal with the light, it doesnt mean anything so why worry about it. Going through the trouble of fooling the sensors seems like more work than it is worth.

·
Registered
808 Posts
thanks,
All valve stems do the same thing. There are none that are better at it than others. The cores are the same on all of them. You can go with a bolt in valve stem if you like. They are mainly used for looks in passenger car wheels. The main advantage is that they won't pull out or get cut if they get hung up. The draw back is that they are not flexible and can break off or crack if they hit a rock or something hard. You can make an arguement for which is better, but I would stick with the rubber stems.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
They should have them at just about every tire shop and a lot of other places for real cheap. I have to get some soon and don't plan on paying much more than $5.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Will be pulling the factory valve stems (w/sensors) out of my after market wheels next time I'm in for rotation. I'll be going to full size spare and rubber valve stems on all five wheels.

What can I look forward to dealing with when my computer can not read sensors?? Is there a bypass or way to fool computer??

thanks,
I was told by a couple local tire shops here that it was illegal for them to disable the safety system and that they would be liable should an accident occur due to low tire pressure. In short, they refused to do it and I had to do it myself.

Oh, and the reason I did it myself was that I sheered off the stupid metal stem on some rocks. The rubber ones are much more flexible. Since I ran a lower tire pressure on the street, the light was always on anyways. I'm going to pull the dash and remove the bulb in the near future.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Run steel valve stems if you are running mostly sand, the steel wont get pulled out by spinning a buried tire in the sand. Run rubber if you run mostly rocks, the flexibility is needed if they hit a rock.

Old advice from an old guy I heard a long time ago..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good advice group thanks.

In talking with a number of tire shops, the stem of the factory sensors are as you know metal and can be broken off ( rocks ) and thats my reason for going to rubber. I'll have a spare rubber stem and core removal tool in my parts box in case I rip one off (not likely) and am in the middle of Baja or Copper Canyon.

The sensors are about $115.00 @ thru Toyota. Have decided to pull them all, stash all 5 in a small inflated tire and throw under rear seat. My tire shop says they'll do whatever I desire to my aftermarket wheels.

If I can't fool the sensors then hell, I'll pull the bloody dash bulb!

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
i changed out my rims on my 06 and didn't install the tire sensors but left the spare and no light has come on in mine :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alexvu:

When I had mine out of my afternmarket wheels it did take a few days (week) before the light came on.

How long has it been for you?

·
Registered
62 Posts
bout a week.. why'd ya have to tell me that for.. oh well i gotta nice piece of tape for that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts