TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I have a 1994 toyota pick-up. One day driving along the road going about 45mph in 5th gear a vibration comes and goes, i feel it in my steering wheel, and my rear view mirror gets blurry beacuse all of the vibration. When i down shift to 4th it still vibrates, and when i let off the gas it stops vibrating, when i push on the gas again, it comes back. This proublem comes and goes, but now it is starting to do this all the time, at 45mph? Any suggestions or answers to what is going on?

Thanks,
Trevor

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Vibration under throttle, goes away when you're coasting or have the clutch in?

Driveshaft u-joint. Probably the rearmost one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, vibration goes away when I let off the gas, or if I hold in the clutch.

·
Registered
167 Posts
mine does the same thing but at around 65-70mph. I did find out that when i hit 90 the vibration stops. i thought maybe driveshaft but havent had time to check it out....im interested to know if its something else.

·
Registered
113 Posts
U-joint most likely, mine did the same thing. At least it's an easy fix. If it goes and comes while under throttle at different speeds I'd say it was either a wheel weight got thrown or something.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the vibration is coming from the engine, beacuse when i let off the gas it stops, but when I get back on it the vibration continues? when I let off the gas, the tires felt as smooth as can be so it's not the tires, or weights. Its something else?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will check my U-Joint though.
Thanks Sprtn4X4cw

·
Registered
113 Posts
The reason why the vibration is stopping when you let off the gas is because the shaft that ujoint isn't under as much load. At least that was the case with mine. I hope that's all it is.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see what you mean now. My friend and i do alot of rockclimbing, do you think the u-joint is going out because of all the stress on it from rockclimbing?
Im proubauly going to get under and take a look at the U-Joint later today. Is it the u-Joint in the front or rear?
Thanks again
Trev

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh alright thanks redrunner, i did see it, but i forgot which one it was, but now i know.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was driving pulling a fishing boat trailer and when i hit 65mph my truck vibrates 3 times more worse than when going 45mph. When i drive at night i look in my rear view mirror traffic lights behind me are at a blurr circle. I just found this out yesterday, could it be the same proublem?
I have had no time to look at my rear universal joint.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Like everyone else has told you, it's got to be the u-joint. Mine did the EXACT same thing and I never got around to fixing it and it finally let go last week while I was runnin 80mph in the left lane. Luckily it just blew two of the end caps so it didn't drop my d-shaft. Might want to make that a priority before your on the side of the road with a smoking driveshaft like I was...

·
Registered
230 Posts
well couldnt it be that 45 is a little slow for fifth especially under load? i mean sure chances are its a u joint but i know my truck vibrates a little if its lugged along at say 45mph in maybe fifth gear.... just a thought

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like i better get on this NOW! Since i just heard what can happen if i dont!
Thanks for all the info guys!
I'll let you all know how it runs when i fix the u joints.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey guys, i was able to work on my truck in my auto class today at school, and when i took a look at the rear u-joint it moved 1/8th of an inch cuz my bearings in it were shot, so when taking it off i ended up using a tourch because it would not come off. Anyway after changing it, i drove my truck down the road. I hit 45mph, No Vibrating....65mph, No Vibrating, and it runs so much smoother than before! So i guess its fixed! I really appreciate everyone that helped me out, to find this proublem! Thank you all
Trevor

1 - 20 of 20 Posts