TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys merry christmas to all. i got the best gift anyone could ask for. a second chance on life for me my dad and his girlfreind teresa.

last night comming back from dinner in scottsdale headed to prescott i was in the right hand lane headed up 17. i had recieved a text and went to shut it off. at this time we were rounding a corner. as soon as i put the phone down i relized there was fully loaded gas tanker doing roughly 20 mph in a 65. i cant remember if his flashers were on. it wouldnt have made a diffrence.

well i had all of 50 feet to react to it. i managed to steer into the shoulder but clipped his bumper doing about 55 headed on to slanted rocky rough shoulder.. we clipped went up on two wheels i passed the truck on 2 wheels came down and thats when the rear end started to slide in the dirt. the front tires hit pavement at that time we were sideways infront of the now braking semi truck. i could feel both drivers side tires come off the ground again. at this point i was at full lock and counter steer with a slight amount of brake. i believe my grandfather was holding that damn 4 runner down as much as he could. either that or it was my single thought of " NO you are not going over!!!!" that saved our lifes. this short spurt lasted about 3 seconds before it settled down and i could regain "control".

during the entire incident i reacted to two skills i had spent years learning, thanks to this club and the lake effect snow in buffalo. one was knowing wear the balance point of the 4 runner was and the other was the instinctual reaction to counter steer.

my father and teresa were not wearing there seat belts in the back i cant remember if i was either.

it could have been so so much worse. its a christmas miracle that i am here able to type and my father and teresa are up stairs having a wonderfull christmas with my grandmother. a few inches to the left and i would have hit that bumper and put me and the drivers side under it. the passenger side tire has grass stuck between the rim and the tire. it almost blew out but held. if it did we would have gone over. if i hadnt remember to not read unimportnat texts i wouldnt be here today.if i didnt know how to counter steer or feel the tip point to put it on 4 wheels i wouldnt be here. there are so many things that kept us alive and uninjured.

there is only very minor damage to the 4 runner. a door and a fender and thats it! the only damage to anything besides a bent fender on the semi and a broken light

so the lesson for myself and hopefully all od you will all pick up on this too. is that damn cell phone can wait till u get home or to a safe area.

i read the first 3 words of the txt message before putting the phone down b/c i knew it wasnt important but that split second to read those words was all it took for us to get in trouble. if i had read the entire text i wouldnt be able to talk today.

trully gratefull to be part of a wonderfull offroad club and i just hope you all can learn from my mistake(s) i know i sure as hell did!!!! ipods, cell phones, and even the radio and the people in the back seat can be a deadly distraction.

my freind said i had a horseshoe up my ass that needed to be removed earlyer this week... i think i shat it out some wear on I-17 right before highway 69 in AZ! your welcome to go find it but i think all the luck that was in it is gone now!;)

stay safe and savor these happy happy holidays you may never know when they will be your last..........

take care all!! i'll see ya'll at the january meet n greet!!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Glad you and the family are ok. That could have been really bad for everyone.

I used to be on the phone much more then i am now when driving but have givin up on the whole thing. I plug it in and leave it in the glovebox now. With programs like safe drives you can set it up ro reply for you. it sends a text back or answers and says the mobile phone your calling is not answeing because they are driving but a reminder is sent as soon as the car stops to have them call you back. Tha way you dont get blown up by the person.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya i got a new phone and will be downloading that app immediatley. and that was the entire thing i wasnt even answering a text. i was just shutting it off if i had that on my phone i would have never had a two wheeled experiance.... funny only a few days after i get a real two wheeled vehicle i get a 4 wheeled one up on 2 wheels!

and on that mark... does anyone want to buy a ninja 650!? haha!!!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after the other night it made me relize what can happen.... its up for debate if i can sell if for cash and put it into the taco i will be happy id rather have a safer truck than a fun bike ya know?

life is crazy, sometimes you just need to read the signs! but god damn that thing is fun!! haha!!

also on the sick side of this unfortunelty lucky event... i now know i can drive a car on two wheels if needed! and its actually pretty fun!!! ROTFLMAO!!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
That was quite experience to say the least. I am glad you and your family are all safe and sound and that no one but the 4 Runner was hurt. Looks like you might have your New Year's Resolution ready to go. :)

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
no texting from sunset point to black canyon city ;)

that is a wicked stretch of road to say the least.... im glad to hear that everyone is ok, thanks to your quick reactions and ability to keep everything down for the most part. go buy some lottery tickets

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Dang, Ben! Glad you made it out alive! As you may know I had a near death experience in Doris a little over a year ago. It really made me see life in a very different way for some time after that. My best advice is not to focus on what could've happened and who could've gotten hurt. That will just tear you up.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha kyle, i remembered your little incident with that wire rail! yea im trying not to foucs on what if's everythign happened the way it did for a reason. there is no sense in making life now worse than it has to be due to the fact. if anything im gonna be more active now and try to get more things done through the day to experiance more... if theres an opportunity im gonna take it. and i will never not let anyone know how much they mean to me... it may be the last chance i ever get

if there is a pretty lady in the bar your damn right im gonna let her know! haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts