TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run an Icom VHF in my truck for work purposes. Typically I have used an antenna that was 36" - 40" in height with a magnet mount on the roof. Since I'm going for a cleaner look (and I hate the whip catching branches, drive thrus, etc), I had the whip swapped out today for a 16" one.

My question is:

Can I paint the chrome base and new shiny silver antenna whip black? I'm trying to black out whatever I can on my '05. I assume the paint won't mess with the effectivness of the antenna?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
They make black antennas and bases. My base on my VHF antenna is black and I am waiting to buy a shorter black antenna (right now I have a 4' silver one and I have to take it off to park in my covered parking spot....shorter antenna should solve that). MandaTaco has a black 4' antenna. The local police here have short 1-1/2' black antennas on their trucks, so does our highway patrol. I don't know if painting your antenna will affect it's range or not. May want to try powdercoating to make it last longer.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
get a wilson or a firestick if not..why not be a guenie pig:)

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't imagine paint would stick too well to an antenna. You could slip heat-shrink over it.
That's a good idea. Paint doesn't like to flex. Once the whip starts flexing the paint will brake loose from the antenna.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I run an Icom VHF in my truck for work purposes. Typically I have used an antenna that was 36" - 40" in height with a magnet mount on the roof. Since I'm going for a cleaner look (and I hate the whip catching branches, drive thrus, etc), I had the whip swapped out today for a 16" one.

My question is:

Can I paint the chrome base and new shiny silver antenna whip black? I'm trying to black out whatever I can on my '05. I assume the paint won't mess with the effectivness of the antenna?

Thanks...
Yes, you can paint it, just use a latex based paint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts