TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can an improperly balanced tire on the rear cause your inner axle seal to go bad? I'm fighting with seals like it's cool and finally bought the OEM one and got it in there good. I go to pop off the tire today to check if it had leaked more and....I find a little piss trail of 80-90. This might be residual just draining out, but if it isn't I'm wondering why the hell it's still leaking. Thanks for the opinions gents.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Are you running a synthetic fluid in the diff? If so, change that out to a standard oil.

Generally an improperly balanced tire wont cause a seal to go bad. A bent wheel or other major issue probably would over time.

Your housing may be bent at the outer leg as well, my old 8" elocker housing ate up oil seals on the driver side (probably 2 a year). After some research and lots of measuring I found out it was slightly bent.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Good suggestions.

Has there been any work done to the axle? If you don't press the 2nd collar on to the right location, it could be catching the seal on the tapered edge of the collar and not allowing it to seal.

Be sure that when you replace a seal you put some sort of lubricant on the new seal surface to ensure that it is lubricated from the start.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could probably believe an out-of-round housing, unless that's just a crazy tough seal to get in there. It tends to play teeter-totter with me, even with a seal installer. I don't see how I could've bent anything in there... And PismoJoe, what are you talking about with collars? Dell- I'm pretty sure I'm not damaging the seal on install. The bearing could be the issue, I'll be checking that soon. Thanks for the info, if you can answer any of my questions in this post, I'd appreciate it.

Mike

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any "backwoods" ways to do that without a micrometer? Those things are an SOB to get in there...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts