TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Taco 4x4 had a vibration on initial acceleration, and mechanic I know said I needed a center support bearing. I took it to a shop I trusted and they said I needed a U-joint as well, and that it would be a "serviceable" one. I got the truck back, and as soon as I gave it gas is shuddered badly, as well as the original vibration. I took it from the shop (I don't trust them any more) and a friend and I figured out that it makes the noise in 2wd, but not in either 4H or 4Lo. Other than that we're stumped. Everything is tight down there. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,396 Posts
Maybe when they serviced the driveshaft they installed it out of phase? Your initial issue does sound like a u-joint or the carrier bearing. Bad springs causing lots of axle wrap can amplify the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response, I appreciate it.
There is no telling what the shop did to my truck. I thought I could trust them, but I can't.
My friend and I are going to replace the leaf springs with Old Man Emu Medium duty springs, U-joints with Zirk (I don't know how to spell that) fittings, and 8mm spacers for the center support bearing. Hopefully this will fix the problem. We think it will, as the current leaf springs are almost flat.
Thanks again.
Darryl

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know for first gens, up to 2004, it just needed grease in the slide yoke... and the rest of the driveshaft. Idk if 2008 has the same issu. If not... u-joint, weak rear leafs, or maybe even backlash, (or worn) in the pinion gear in the differential. Especially if it’s lifted quite a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know for first gens, up to 2004, it just needed grease in the slide yoke... and the rest of the driveshaft. Idk if 2008 has the same issu. If not... u-joint, weak rear leafs, or maybe even backlash, (or worn) in the pinion gear in the differential. Especially if it’s lifted quite a bit.
Thanks for your reply. We added new Old Man Emu Med Duty Leafs, U-joints, and a Center Support Bearing, and the problem went away. Took out the old leafs that were sagging to say the least, and the block lift. The suspension is dialed in and working like a charm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for your reply. We added new Old Man Emu Med Duty Leafs, U-joints, and a Center Support Bearing, and the problem went away. Took out the old leafs that were sagging to say the least, and the block lift. The suspension is dialed in and working like a charm.
Good to hear. Awesome. How do you like the drakar leafs? Drakar is the brand for OME leafs... at least it was if it still isn’t.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, I'm not sure about the brand, but the OME's were fantastic! We took a trip the weekend after my buddy put in the leafs, and did 330 miles between Truckee and Gerlach in 2 days (90% off road), and I had zero problems with the suspension. OME's rock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, I'm not sure about the brand, but the OME's were fantastic! We took a trip the weekend after my buddy put in the leafs, and did 330 miles between Truckee and Gerlach in 2 days (90% off road), and I had zero problems with the suspension. OME's rock.
Good to hear, I got OME 881 coils in the front, but I re-arched the factory leafs in the back and did an add-a-leaf (helper leaf, not specifically intending to lift but does lift), with bilstein 5100’s front and rear. I’m happy with what I have now, but I still wonder if I should have just got the Drakar/OME leafs for the back. I tow and haul sometimes, and it’s my daily driver so at the time, I didn’t want to spend the $400+ for the new leafs and went the (economical) cheap way because I didn’t know how they would work in the long run.
I’ve been hearing the hold up nicely for Off-road, and normal driving, and recently, they handle loads pretty well too. It took about a month and a couple hundred miles to “settle”, the OME coils barely settled (1/2”) and my “custom” configuration about 1”.
So yeah, I’m basically saying, “I should have got what you have, a little jealous” but I’ve never heard anything bad about them and they hold up nicely, and greatly improve the ride quality. The biggest regret I have is not greasing the poly bushings enough on the leaf eyebolts and shackles, it squeaks a lot after a couple of months. Hopefully yours don’t squeak.
Don’t know if I’m saying anything useful or just like hearing myself talk in this novel I just wrote but wanted to say you’ll be very happy with the new leafs, that’s what I should have done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear, I got OME 881 coils in the front, but I re-arched the factory leafs in the back and did an add-a-leaf (helper leaf, not specifically intending to lift but does lift), with bilstein 5100’s front and rear. I’m happy with what I have now, but I still wonder if I should have just got the Drakar/OME leafs for the back. I tow and haul sometimes, and it’s my daily driver so at the time, I didn’t want to spend the $400+ for the new leafs and went the (economical) cheap way because I didn’t know how they would work in the long run.
I’ve been hearing the hold up nicely for Off-road, and normal driving, and recently, they handle loads pretty well too. It took about a month and a couple hundred miles to “settle”, the OME coils barely settled (1/2”) and my “custom” configuration about 1”.
So yeah, I’m basically saying, “I should have got what you have, a little jealous” but I’ve never heard anything bad about them and they hold up nicely, and greatly improve the ride quality. The biggest regret I have is not greasing the poly bushings enough on the leaf eyebolts and shackles, it squeaks a lot after a couple of months. Hopefully yours don’t squeak.
Don’t know if I’m saying anything useful or just like hearing myself talk in this novel I just wrote but wanted to say you’ll be very happy with the new leafs, that’s what I should have done.
Hey, we all do what we do. I have done lots of stuff I later regretted doing, like putting on a pro-comp lift kit. And putting on a Magnum Winch Bumper. I don't know if I mentioned, but the bumper fell off 1/2 hour into our off road trip. Lousy purchase. But we learn (I hope) and move on. I now do more research on the products I want to purchase, and I have a friend that's really experienced getting and installing off road parts. It sounds like you know your stuff. More knowledgable than me, as I'm just learning this year.
Enjoy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts