TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time i engage 4 wheel drive, at any speed, i get a vibration in the steering. Is this normal???

I was told by a Toyota mechanic that it is normal because the tires need to slip and on the pavement the tires don't, therefore causing the vibration. unfortunately i get the vibration when i am in the dirt as well, so there goes that solution. It did not do this when i bought my truck, and i noticed it happening after i had my lift installed.

any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Truck setup:
1999 Tacoma 4x4, V6, 6 inch trailmaster suspension lift, 33x12.5 r15, automatic hubs/shift on the fly set up, 5 speed manual trans.

Oh yeah, i just had my tires balanced and my truck aligned, so that is not it either.

·
Registered
110 Posts
gringo said:
Every time i engage 4 wheel drive, at any speed, i get a vibration in the steering. Is this normal???

I was told by a Toyota mechanic that it is normal because the tires need to slip and on the pavement the tires don't, therefore causing the vibration. unfortunately i get the vibration when i am in the dirt as well, so there goes that solution. It did not do this when i bought my truck, and i noticed it happening after i had my lift installed.

any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Truck setup:
1999 Tacoma 4x4, V6, 6 inch trailmaster suspension lift, 33x12.5 r15, automatic hubs/shift on the fly set up, 5 speed manual trans.

Oh yeah, i just had my tires balanced and my truck aligned, so that is not it either.
sounds like you have a front end shimmy. its probably in the front driveline. my guess would be the driveshaft. but it could be anything in the front end, especially after being lifted. i would get underneath it and make sure the lift is on correctly. maybe a bolt walked its way out somewhere.

·
Registered
951 Posts
second on that. your front driveline is a good place to start. does it do it in 2wd also? if so your bearings may not have been pressed into the spindles properly and/or they may be ruptured. Also check to see if there are any bare spots on the front driveshaft. It is possible that a balance weight may have been knocked off during the tear down build up process. If that is the case, a driveline shop should be able to rebalance it easily.

On another note, never trust a Yota machanic that spouts bullsh*t. You will only encounter that condition if you are attempting a sharp, slow speed turn on asphalt.

Good Luck,
Boheefus

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, i will take a look at the front drive line.

and yes it only happens in 4wd.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts