TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 06 Tacoma Prerunner DC with 3000 miles. Last week i had the parking brake freeze on me. It was cool that morning and whem i went to go to work, i found out that my truck would not move. when i tried to accelerate the driverside rear spun in the dirt and the passenger side rear was frozen solid. I cant say that I was mad because it was funny. So, I waited till later when the temp. warmed up outside to try again. I went to move it this time and when i tried to acclerate there was a loud bang, horray, it broke free! Everything seemed fine until i noticed that when Im stopping now there is a slight vibration coming from the middle or the rear of the truck. I dont feel it in the steering wheel or in the brake pedal, but you notice it in the seat. The truck is smooth as silk at any speed, but when you slow down, it seems to bounce a little. There are no other problems, like weird sounds or behaviors. Does anyone have any idea of what this can be? Is this normal after its broken in? Can a drum brake warp? Could I have bent something while trying to move it? Or am I just losing my mind? Thank you for any help or insults. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Have you crawled under the truck to check for obvious damage? Is the brake fully disengaged? Could be a problem with abs components. I had a friend at work screw his up yesterday on his mazda with the same issue/frozen rear.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It's been years since I pulled a drum, but they should just come right off after you pull the wheel, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what I am hoping. I hate drum brakes! I only asked because I had a Focus and you had to either take off the nut that was torqued to 250 lbft. or take off the four bolts behind it to remove the whole axel. It was a pain in the ass!

·
Registered
636 Posts
=ACID RAIN= said:
It's been years since I pulled a drum, but they should just come right off after you pull the wheel, if I recall correctly.
-- Maybe stating the obvious, but make sure your parking brake is not engaged or that baby ain't comming off.... :D

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
anthonycoley said:
-- Maybe stating the obvious, but make sure your parking brake is not engaged or that baby ain't comming off.... :D
HAHA forgot about that!

I used to be able to do drum brake replacements at about 15 min. per side, but that was in high school. Like I said, it's been a while :D

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Sounds like it would be related to the brakes since the symptoms you described started at the same time. If in doubt take it to a shop or even the dealer, sounds like it should be covered under the warranty (maybe). If not they should at least give you a courtesy inspection. Good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have yet to deal with my dealer so i dont know if they are douche bags or not. Plus, I only have 3000 miles on the truck so they might let it slide. Im gonna check it out first to see if it is something simple, if not ill check out the dealer.

·
Banned
966 Posts
if it dont slide right off there should be 2 threaded holes on the face of the drum. i forget what thread, i think a metric though. 2 small bolts get screwed in and it backs the drum off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts