TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is childish and completely immature. At 28, I shouldn't be entering into such arguments. However, my 17 year old cousin is talking trash because he's driving a 96 F-350 supercrew 4x4 diesel (geez, when did you have to take a breath to name a truck?) Anyhow, he's insisting that his truck will perform better off-road than my "tonka." I'm convinced that unless he's pulling a trailer or some heavy loud through the slop, that a Tacoma that is much lighter and smaller will be able to go places he can only dream of.

Keep in mind, these are two completely stock trucks. I've actually driven his before it was his (when his dad still had it) and it's stout, but it's built to pull.

What I'm looking for are videos or links to videos of people with a Ford, Dodge or Chevy truck trying to follow/compete with a Tacoma off-road.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. These can be on YouTube, MySpace, Google video, whatever. If need be, I can download them and post them again.

Help me out guys. Make my decision to buy the Taco instead of an F-150 FX4 worthwhile!

·
Happy, Happy, Happy
5,583 Posts
not aware of any comparison videos but there are several TTORA videos on youtube. Disregard the most recent Takeover video (at least the last 2-3 minutes where the redneck is talking about the FAR) but otherwise there are some good ones out there.

BTW, I have had both, and the Toyota is the better buy.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
also type in Gilmer,tx and you will see a number of videos of toyotas offroading i haven't seen one that f-250 supercrew.... Truck is just way to long IMO

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Spacecwboy said:
Disregard the most recent Takeover video (at least the last 2-3 minutes where the redneck is talking about the FAR)
That part makes the video "Educational" We all learned something!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Here's the deal. Anybody, and I mean ANYBODY, that has been sloppin around in the woods/field knows that the shorter and lighter is better. It's better in the trees, its better on the trails, it's better on the rocks, and it's better when you need to cross a wet field. I've seen a single cab S10 (2WD to boot) cross an entire rice field because it floated on the hardpan clay that hadn't been tilled, just 6 inches down. When the crew cab 2500 tried it, guess what, not even close. It took a backhoe to pull it out.

If your cousin actually wheeled his big street queen, he would know this ;)

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
=ACID RAIN= said:
Here's the deal. Anybody, and I mean ANYBODY, that has been sloppin around in the woods/field knows that the shorter and lighter is better. It's better in the trees, its better on the trails, it's better on the rocks, and it's better when you need to cross a wet field. I've seen a single cab S10 (2WD to boot) cross an entire rice field because it floated on the hardpan clay that hadn't been tilled, just 6 inches down. When the crew cab 2500 tried it, guess what, not even close. It took a backhoe to pull it out.

If your cousin actually wheeled his big street queen, he would know this ;)
My dad would tell you that after he rode in my little truck. His 250 sinks like a rock on anything remotely looking like mud.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yep. I drove that S10 myself many times, through all manner of unholy mud. I took a surplused 79 dodge through a corner of a field and it must have dug in a foor and a half, where the S10 would just hit the hardpan 6 inches down and float along like an airboat (and steer about the same haha).

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
hossmaster said:
My dad would tell you that after he rode in my little truck. His 250 sinks like a rock on anything remotely looking like mud.
x2
i went wheeling with a friend in my tacoma on 32" MTs and he had a f250 diesel on 33" BFG all terrains, and i had to pull him out four times in an hour and a half.

·
Registered
782 Posts
there was this one old video i can't find the thread for...... it had a ranger or s10 stuck in some high water..... and a tacoma/hilux went round the idiot and splash water all over the other truck.... can't find it on the forums or on youtube where I think i saw it.....

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
sheesh, you're right guy, this is childish and completely immature.

He's 17 for God's sakes. Just take him wheeling and you both can find out for yourselves the advantages & disadvantages of each.

Each of you trying to make the other feel stupid about each other's purchases is lame... may as well be arguing about politics or religion.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
valkyrie said:
sheesh, you're right guy, this is childish and completely immature.

He's 17 for God's sakes. Just take him wheeling and you both can find out for yourselves the advantages & disadvantages of each.

Each of you trying to make the other feel stupid about each other's purchases is lame... may as well be arguing about politics or religion.

I'm aware of it, and by making it a type of competition I hope to open his eyes to the fact. I'm not trying to make him feel stupid about his purchase. He never purchased the truck, it was his dad's. He actually drives the car I got rid of to get the Taco. I've asked him to go to Spring Creek after the New Year for a game of follow the leader. Nothing extreme, but just a day of goofing around.

We're a highly competitive family, that never helps anything.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He has yet to accept the challenge. If there's a camp area there, it might turn into a weekend type thing. Everyone is welcome to attend (we might need a winch.)

Here's the truck. I used to take it to the beach all the time (the vehicle I had at the time couldn't cut it in the deep sand.) And it's hardly a street queen. It's actually used to pull a bulldozer quite often.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've wheeled with all different types of trucks. Weight is your enemy when it comes to off-road. Mud tires help also if you're gong through mud but it will be more fun to take him through off-camber stuff and watch his windshield pop out of its frame, like it did for this gentleman on the bypass around Clyde's Ravine. :2cents:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
meithkiller said:
I've wheeled with all different types of trucks. Weight is your enemy when it comes to off-road. Mud tires help also if you're gong through mud but it will be more fun to take him through off-camber stuff and watch his windshield pop out of its frame, like it did for this gentleman on the bypass around Clyde's Ravine. :2cents:

Well, he accepted the little duel. No date has been finalized, but I'd imagine it will be sometime in late January, early February.

As I said before, it might be a weekend type thing, so if anyone has suggestions on dates and what-not, post up. I might need someone to winch me out more than him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts