TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aaron brought his 4runner up for a MUCH NEEDED cage. He had been wheeling it with no cage for a couple years. I offered to help him out with one.

The rear is pretty much done except for a couple more gussets to be added. We'll be finishing off the rest tomorrow.

·
20,355 Posts
Sweet man, that is sure to lower the pucker factor on Clevland rock this year a bit.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yeah scotty, that looks really good! btw what do you use for notching the tubing? is it one of those things you put around the pipe with all the wires sticking out? I am working on a tube front bumper and some of the angles are a little tricky. Cage looks awesome though!!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah scotty, that looks really good! btw what do you use for notching the tubing? is it one of those things you put around the pipe with all the wires sticking out? I am working on a tube front bumper and some of the angles are a little tricky. Cage looks awesome though!!
I just use small a protractor to get the angle. Then I set my notcher to it. Some of the compound ones(like the rear ones on the D pillar) are pretty tricky, so I usually just use a grinder, and test fit, grind, test fit, grind, etc.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Troy, please don't talk to me about how to do fabwork. After all I was there to witness the 8 hour welding cart.

:welder: ;):D
... and yet, you ended up doing pretty much what I recommended :rolleyes:

·
7,735 Posts
Hey, I got a couple questions...

are the front feet welded to the body? isn't that going to make it kind of hard to get at the body mounts?

Also, I noticed you didn't go thru the dash with the A pillar? Seems like most don't. why is that? I've started thinking ahead to cage vs. exo and have been trying to take notice of the different designs and why certain choices were made.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Whatever Scotty.

But, yes, when you are building a life-critical rollcage and you're proposing a design that can collapse like a folding table, yes, I'm going to make recommendations.... and I even said that was probably what you meant to do in the first place.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is your notcher just an attachment for a drill press?
No, I Use it in a vice with my macho Dewalt 1/2" arm breaker drill attached to it.

Actually after 7 years of notching, at least 20 cages, and 50+ bumpers, my notcher finally gave up the ghost today.

I have decided to just get a new one. Can't decide on a JD2 Notchmaster or the JMR. The JMR is more expensive, but may be worth it for the 180* capability.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, I got a couple questions...

are the front feet welded to the body? isn't that going to make it kind of hard to get at the body mounts?

Also, I noticed you didn't go thru the dash with the A pillar? Seems like most don't. why is that? I've started thinking ahead to cage vs. exo and have been trying to take notice of the different designs and why certain choices were made.
Doug, going through the dash is a TON of work. It require disassembling the entire dash, and removing the heater and A/C boxes. Its really not an option if you plan to retain the air vents either. Its much easier to work around the dash and just leave it in place.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whatever Scotty.

But, yes, when you are building a life-critical rollcage and you're proposing a design that can collapse like a folding table, yes, I'm going to make recommendations.... and I even said that was probably what you meant to do in the first place.
Like I said. You know it all when it comes to fabwork, and well, everything for that matter it seems.

Its just funny to me that you can dish it out, but don't have a sense of humor about it when getting it back. :2cents:

I was doing it as a joke, but I must have hit a nerve. Sorry.:D

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
That was a long weekend :eek: Left Pueblo Friday night @ 10, started early on Saturday, worked until 6pm, started early on Sunday and rolled into Pueblo @ 11:30pm Sunday night.

Crazy to stand there and watch Scotty take a Sharpie and draw a couple of lines on the tube, throw it in the bender and the notcher, and have it come out dead on 95% of the time! The guy's a bigger perfectionist than I am :D

The cage came out perfect, exactly what I wanted in a full cage for a 4Runner. I see no issues putting my kids in the back seat and having the cage hold up to a roll if it was to happen.

Thanks again Scotty nice work bro :welder:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts